Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 09:01 AM

12,871 posts, read 22,035,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Framingham is about 20% Brazilian so that migth satisfy your European desire in that its like Portuguese culture.
Not even a little bit. The language is Portuguese, but the culture is entirely different.

There are other cities, but New Bedford jumps out most.

It has a population that's largely Azorean and Cape Verdean Portuguese (many first generation, primarily Portuguese speaking)- not as many mainland Portuguese. That cultural heritage is very much ingrained in the culture. The Feast of the Blessed Sacrament is the largest Portuguese Feast in the world and the largest ethnic celebration in New England. There are dozens of other smaller feasts and festivals in the city throughout the year as well. There are Cape Verdean parades, a Portuguese consulate, an abundance of Portuguese restaurants, and the culture permeates most aspects of daily life in the city. New Bedford isn't just an old mill town. It's a very active seaport and the highest grossing fishing port in the U.S. This was the reason a lot of Portuguese were/are drawn to the area. It's also nicely reflected in the city's food scene.

Beyond the culture, New Bedford has pretty neat bones. Yes, it was most recently an Industrial city. Prior to that it was a seaport and whaling center. Unlike Lowell or Lawrence, New Bedford has bones that linger from before it was a center of industry. This is most obvious downtown where half of it is quaint cobblestone streets not far off from what you'd find on Main St. in Nantucket. This section is a national historic park. The rest is a dense, 19th century downtown. Many of the residences around the city center reflect the seafaring tradition. Great historic homes.

It'll definitely fulfill you're "rough around the edges" desires. It's gritty. That's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 09:41 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Like it or not, many of those towns or sections within a town that had ethnic cultures are fading fast. First born American generations do not want to be "old fashioned" like their folks. They wanted to be named Tiffany, Amber, Josh, Sean, etc. They want to look like and sound like all their friends. No babushka's for them girls....LOL

The closer the towns are to greater Boston, the quicker they become homogenous with new folks moving in. Even towns considered just so so as late as the 80's are booming such as Waltham. Even towns considered far out of Boston are now considered Boston suburbs such as Stow.

The best remnants of ethnic heritage one now finds is an ethnic restaurant. Forget the bakeries, butcher shops, grocery stores, etc.

The times they are a changing.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:46 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,530,516 times
Chicopee, Ludlow, Southbridge.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:01 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Many places surrounding Providence fit the bill ie. Knightsville (Cranston), Darlington (Pawtucket) E. Providence. etc.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:23 PM

140 posts, read 267,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Like it or not, many of those towns or sections within a town that had ethnic cultures are fading fast. First born American generations do not want to be "old fashioned" like their folks. They wanted to be named Tiffany, Amber, Josh, Sean, etc. They want to look like and sound like all their friends. No babushka's for them girls....LOL

The closer the towns are to greater Boston, the quicker they become homogenous with new folks moving in. Even towns considered just so so as late as the 80's are booming such as Waltham. Even towns considered far out of Boston are now considered Boston suburbs such as Stow.

The best remnants of ethnic heritage one now finds is an ethnic restaurant. Forget the bakeries, butcher shops, grocery stores, etc.

The times they are a changing.
Thanks

Specifically why I said not near Boston

Old 03-11-2015, 04:01 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Irfox, genuine question, is Cape Verdean culture more like Portuguese than Brazilian? Me personally I feel like it is I feel like Cape Verdeans in Brockton have less in common with Portuguese in New Bedford than Brazilians in Framingham. Also I think New Bedford is rough around the edges but its currently teetering on mostly ghetto. I dont know about the older population but the young people and people moving into New Bedford seem to be much less pure Portuguese than Fall River. Young people there, who are the life blood of any city, see more Cape Verdean, Black, Dominican, Central American, mixed race..its actually quite cool and it creates a sort of culture more in line with Providence. However, I know the Portuguese influence is still strong but in my 3 times to New Bedford and everything Ive read or seen it seems pretty rough and noticeably less Portuguese in the sub 30 population.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Irfox, genuine question, is Cape Verdean culture more like Portuguese than Brazilian? Me personally I feel like it is I feel like Cape Verdeans in Brockton have less in common with Portuguese in New Bedford than Brazilians in Framingham. Also I think New Bedford is rough around the edges but its currently teetering on mostly ghetto. I dont know about the older population but the young people and people moving into New Bedford seem to be much less pure Portuguese than Fall River. Young people there, who are the life blood of any city, see more Cape Verdean, Black, Dominican, Central American, mixed race..its actually quite cool and it creates a sort of culture more in line with Providence. However, I know the Portuguese influence is still strong but in my 3 times to New Bedford and everything Ive read or seen it seems pretty rough and noticeably less Portuguese in the sub 30 population.
Cape Verdean culture is a mix of Portuguese and African elements (the Islands are off the coast of Africa), but I don't see too many similarities to Brazilian culture aside from the language.

Lots of New Bedford is pretty tough, but the downtown area (and residential neighborhoods around it) are much nicer than anything in Fall River. There's a heavy emphasis on arts, dining, drinking, shopping, etc. And the under 30 culture in both isn't as Portuguese. Part of this is due to 2nd and 3rd generation Portuguese mixing in with the rest of the cultures in the area (Irish, Polish, French Canadian, etc.), and a lot of it is due to a new wave of immigrants from Central America (a lot of Guatemalan and some Puerto Rican). So I definitely agree the under 30 crowd is less Portuguese. Still, the culture is very present in the city. I'm under 30 and from that area. Many of my friends still use "Carai!" and other Portuguese slang in their regular conversations. I often end up at Portuguese festivals and restaurants naturally (instead of seeking them out- I'm not Portuguese) because it's where friends and their families are.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:50 AM

728 posts, read 975,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
2nd and 3rd generation Portuguese mixing in with the rest of the cultures in the area (Irish, Polish, French Canadian, etc.), and a lot of it is due to a new wave of immigrants from Central America (a lot of Guatemalan and some Puerto Rican). So I definitely agree the under 30 crowd is less Portuguese. Still, the culture is very present in the city. I'm under 30 and from that area. Many of my friends still use "Carai!" and other Portuguese slang in their regular conversations. I often end up at Portuguese festivals and restaurants naturally (instead of seeking them out- I'm not Portuguese) because it's where friends and their families are.
I went to school out in Dartmouth (MA) and I couldn't tell the difference between the Portuguese folks and many, many groups.

I.E. I know Portuguese people (born in Portugal) who can pass as Irish or Italian, Black (light skin) or Hispanic. Sure places like NB, Stoughton and Fall River have Festivals and Cultural clubs but the general population is as Americanized as the Irish in Southie and Quincy.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:00 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Chicopee, Ludlow, Southbridge.
There is nothing European about Southbridge these days. It used to have a heavy French and Polish vibe 20 to 30 years ago, but not anymore. Same with Webster. Too small for what I think the OP is looking for.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
I went to school out in Dartmouth (MA) and I couldn't tell the difference between the Portuguese folks and many, many groups.

I.E. I know Portuguese people (born in Portugal) who can pass as Irish or Italian, Black (light skin) or Hispanic. Sure places like NB, Stoughton and Fall River have Festivals and Cultural clubs but the general population is as Americanized as the Irish in Southie and Quincy.
I guess it depends on who/what you get involved with and where you go. There are plenty of restaurants, churches, bars, markets, parks, etc. that you can walk into on a daily basis and hear nothing but Portuguese being spoken. I've lived in the area long enough to have been exposed to a lot of it. It's one of my favorite things about the region. To the OP's point about feeling "European," I don't know that you'll find that anywhere in MA, but Fall River and New Bedford will probably come the closest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts