Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 01:40 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times

Advertisements

Medford or East Somerville may work at $1200. West Somerville prices and rents are getting out of control. This doozie is the talk of the town this week:

Somerville Sets New Record for Most Expensive Home Sale - Real estate news - Boston.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 09:19 AM

27 posts, read 26,402 times
For $1200 a month you will absolutely get a crappy run-down crime-infested area to rent in watertown and Waltham these days. No idea what happened this year, the rents have shot up like crazy over the past 4 months or so. You are looking at $1800-$2200 for a decent 1 bedroom. Even in far away places like Natick, Wilmington, Acton etc (on commuter rail) the rents have shot up. The best one can do for this price is to share a decent place with another person. look in http://boston.sublet.com/

Old 04-30-2015, 05:42 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,515,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tg320 View Post
Hello all, I could REALLY use some advice.

I'm graduating medical school next month and I did not match into a residency position. I found a great opportunity to work in a private practice in Cambridge for a transitional year until I can reapply next year.

The position is pretty low paying, I don't think I can afford anything more than 1200/month MAX for rent. Thinking of getting a studio apartment, as I will only be there one year. ANY SUGGESTIONS on areas I should begin searching for a place to live that is a reasonable commute by car to Cambridge? I have never been to the area and I'm not even sure where to begin...

Also, looking for pet friendly places.

Need to find something to move in on June 1st. Coming up very fast. Thanks For any insight.

You are so fortunate to be working at Mt. Auburn Hospital! I realize you said it is a private practice, but I worked at Mt. Auburn Hospital many years ago, my friend did, with me, and her brother was the head of a major department (a physician there) and I hope you already know that this is a wonderful, quality hospital with great staff.

My parents and relatives grew up within walking distance of the hospital in Cambridge. Mount Auburn is in the West Cambridge area. I really don't think you are going to want a long drive or commute and so I urge you to consider a share. I would try to find a place to live that is very close to the hospital. Traffic can be a pain in metro Cambridge. You could contact the Human Resources department at Mt. Auburn Hospital and see if they post in-house ads for places in which to live. You might also do a little research and see if there a real estate agency in Harvard Square or Cambridge which might keep you in mind for a shared situation with a similarly responsible professional. This does happen! They like to have people like you as possible roommates.

There are parts of these areas that would be a good drive for you: Brighton, Newton (esp Newton Corner, Auburndale, even Newton Center), Watertown, the closer parts Arlington and of course, West Cambridge where you will be located.

I would contact any area medical organizations and ask them where you might post an ad. They would want to help you, I do think.

Good luck.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:21 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Welcome to Boston! I hope you can make the most of your stay. Since you are working in Mt. Auburn Hospital, nearby Watertown is the best option especially if you want to keep your car. Waltham is not a bad choice either. Still, if you choose to take public transit, there are two trackless trolley lines that run right past Mt. Auburn. Service is quite frequent although I don't know what your hours will be. Greater Boston is very expensive these days however and so you might need to room with someone to cut down on costs. $1200 might get you a comfy 1BR in Ohio City or University Circle but not here.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:58 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Welcome to Boston! I hope you can make the most of your stay. Since you are working in Mt. Auburn Hospital, nearby Watertown is the best option especially if you want to keep your car. Waltham is not a bad choice either. Still, if you choose to take public transit, there are two trackless trolley lines that run right past Mt. Auburn. Service is quite frequent although I don't know what your hours will be. Greater Boston is very expensive these days however and so you might need to room with someone to cut down on costs. $1200 might get you a comfy 1BR in Ohio City or University Circle but not here.

I see people getting carried away with this. I know another person that has rented a beautiful, large one bedroom for just that in Somerville this month (just like the last, hardwood floors, beautiful victorian house, and again, her heat is included), probably 700 sq ft range. They're out there.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:00 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I see people getting carried away with this. I know another person that has rented a beautiful, large one bedroom for just that in Somerville this month (just like the last, hardwood floors, beautiful victorian house, and again, her heat is included), probably 700 sq ft range. They're out there.
Sure they're out there, but are there many of them and are they easy to find? That's starting to approach the going rate for a bedroom in a multi bedroom apartment nowadays.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:26 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Sure they're out there, but are there many of them and are they easy to find? That's starting to approach the going rate for a bedroom in a multi bedroom apartment nowadays.

Good places and good deals are never "easy" to find around here. They take hard work, feet on the ground, and the willingness to cut a check on the spot.

And I'm sure you can find $1000 rooms in places, if you want a 2 bedroom or something, but you can easily do much much better.

It's a choice. Assuming you can have feet on the ground. That's the issue with students and a lot of people relocating, and its why they end up paying more.

I'm just advocating for some moderation in some of the fear mongering. Yes, you can pay a lot, and your search will be easier if you have $1800 to spend on a 1 bedroom vs $1200, that's a given, but it isn't "impossible" like so many people seem to want to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts