Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 12:10 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Well played. I would've been more blunt and said a 4 bedroom house in a desirable town can easily fetch $5-7k/month in monthly rent. You'd need a salary of at least $200k/year (but preferably $250-300k) to afford that! If he owns the plumbing company and employs a crew of 30 plumbers, that's all fine and dandy. But if he's just a self-employed plumber who employs even a few subcontractors, that's not feasible.

EDIT for the OP: I wasn't clear in my original post, but in MA you need to document income to rent a home. It doesn't matter if you have $5 million in the bank. Money may not be an issue, but income does matter.
If the OP's spouse is a plumber/electrician and already has a base of operations then I'm guessing they're not self employed. I have no idea what such a person makes but I can't imagine that budget is not a concern unless as you say they own a large company but it doesn't sound like that's the case here.

So, I think "what's your budget for housing?" becomes an important question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 01:12 PM

14 posts, read 13,465 times
As a basis let's say that our budget for monthly rent is between $3000-$4000 per month

Old 05-26-2015, 03:02 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,238,382 times
Your budget will not go very far in most desirable communities, especially if you are looking to rent a house. Further you move out of Boston harder it gets to find good rentals. We do have serious lack of family sized apartments and homes for rent. It is not impossible, but it is often harder and more competitive than you would think.

Educate yourself on lead issue to be aware of it, since your baby is still very small.

I would try to look in Newton or Needham. Newton will have most rentals than any other places mentioned. It has very has high preforming schools and very educated and cosmopolitan community. Needham is very sought after with nice community and great schools but possibly less cosmopolitan in its character than Newton. It is in general much easier to make friends in areas where many families came to MA from other areas, than living in the same spot for generations.

You might want to consider hiring RE agent to help you get in more places and help you have more options in available apartments or homes. Or, you might zoom on small time landlords who do not want to sell nice place, and are looking for renters. You can save some money on the fees in that particular case. You also need first last and security which is usually 3x rent amount when signing a lease.

Good luck!

Old 05-26-2015, 03:42 PM

14 posts, read 13,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
Your budget will not go very far in most desirable communities, especially if you are looking to rent a house. Further you move out of Boston harder it gets to find good rentals. We do have serious lack of family sized apartments and homes for rent. It is not impossible, but it is often harder and more competitive than you would think.

Educate yourself on lead issue to be aware of it, since your baby is still very small.

I would try to look in Newton or Needham. Newton will have most rentals than any other places mentioned. It has very has high preforming schools and very educated and cosmopolitan community. Needham is very sought after with nice community and great schools but possibly less cosmopolitan in its character than Newton. It is in general much easier to make friends in areas where many families came to MA from other areas, than living in the same spot for generations.

You might want to consider hiring RE agent to help you get in more places and help you have more options in available apartments or homes. Or, you might zoom on small time landlords who do not want to sell nice place, and are looking for renters. You can save some money on the fees in that particular case. You also need first last and security which is usually 3x rent amount when signing a lease.

Good luck!
Thank you so much; this is very useful.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:34 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsStorr View Post
As a basis let's say that our budget for monthly rent is between $3000-$4000 per month
Will you be here permanently? Are you renting looking to buy in a year or two? Schools aren't really going to be important for a few years so you may have a bit more flexibility. If you're looking for a single family rental you may need to consider a lot of towns as those are somewhat rare.

Based only on my interpretation of what you've written I'd guess Needham, Westwood, Canton, or Sharon would be good bets. Newton has a lot to offer, but it's a bit dense for the "kids riding around on their bikes in the street" suburb I picture you're looking for. Depending on your plans there's less need to get it right on the first try.

You're also paying a pretty steep premium for proximity to Boston which you don't seem to need. That's actually true to an increasingly smaller extent for Needham, Westwood, and Canton. Given that your budget isn't infinite, you might consider somewhere even further from the city.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:35 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,238,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Will you be here permanently? Are you renting looking to buy in a year or two? Schools aren't really going to be important for a few years so you may have a bit more flexibility. If you're looking for a single family rental you may need to consider a lot of towns as those are somewhat rare.

Based only on my interpretation of what you've written I'd guess Needham, Westwood, Canton, or Sharon would be good bets. Newton has a lot to offer, but it's a bit dense for the "kids riding around on their bikes in the street" suburb I picture you're looking for. Depending on your plans there's less need to get it right on the first try.

You're also paying a pretty steep premium for proximity to Boston which you don't seem to need. That's actually true to an increasingly smaller extent for Needham, Westwood, and Canton. Given that your budget isn't infinite, you might consider somewhere even further from the city.
One should bear in mind that OP is being completely new to this area, and our country. Also that OP will not have benefit of preschool or public schools for an easy new friend opportunities.

There is no question that OP could cast pretty wide net in their search. My advice for Newton or place with more urban-semi urban character is that it might offer better fit for possibly SAHM/new to country situation at first, and until OP becomes more familiar with this area.

IMHO Newton or town character similar to Newton could be easier on foreigner to plug-in. Many areas of Newton (but not all) are very walkable with many local playgrounds, and dense enough that would offer easier access to mommy groups, library kids programs, Boston etc. It seems much easier to move around and meet people in denser more walkable neighborhoods than car-dependent quiet suburb.

Arlington, Belmont, Brookline, Cambridge etc. attract majority of well-off expatriates for a reason, or at least at first. Needham is an interesting option to explore as well. But, I am not sure about recent resident profile as opposed to 20 years ago when it was well to do "townie" town (no diss intended).

Yes, they can save money and move somewhere far away, but then risk OP being possibly very lonely and needing to be in traffic herself to be able to explore and entertain her baby.

Wouldn't it be more fun to be close to Boston and Cambridge for museums, family outings, and exploring all that this area has to offer? Living in far away suburbs when moving to new country and big new city seems like wasted opportunity, especially since they have healthy budget that will make for good options in rentals closer in.

All this being said, OP will do what OP finds to be the best fit.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:43 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post

I agree with Westwood or Canton. There will be more possible rentals in Canton but Westwood is a beautiful town and the schools are terrific.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:32 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
One should bear in mind that OP is being completely new to this area, and our country. Also that OP will not have benefit of preschool or public schools for an easy new friend opportunities.

There is no question that OP could cast pretty wide net in their search. My advice for Newton or place with more urban-semi urban character is that it might offer better fit for possibly SAHM/new to country situation at first, and until OP becomes more familiar with this area.

IMHO Newton or town character similar to Newton could be easier on foreigner to plug-in. Many areas of Newton (but not all) are very walkable with many local playgrounds, and dense enough that would offer easier access to mommy groups, library kids programs, Boston etc. It seems much easier to move around and meet people in denser more walkable neighborhoods than car-dependent quiet suburb.

Arlington, Belmont, Brookline, Cambridge etc. attract majority of well-off expatriates for a reason, or at least at first. Needham is an interesting option to explore as well. But, I am not sure about recent resident profile as opposed to 20 years ago when it was well to do "townie" town (no diss intended).

Yes, they can save money and move somewhere far away, but then risk OP being possibly very lonely and needing to be in traffic herself to be able to explore and entertain her baby.

Wouldn't it be more fun to be close to Boston and Cambridge for museums, family outings, and exploring all that this area has to offer? Living in far away suburbs when moving to new country and big new city seems like wasted opportunity, especially since they have healthy budget that will make for good options in rentals closer in.

All this being said, OP will do what OP finds to be the best fit.
A lot of this is just guessing on our part. I know certain people who'd prefer Newton, others Needham, and even some that would prefer somewhere really sparse like Dover, so I don't think there is a single right answer. Kids playing in the street seemed like something more in line with the densities of Needham and Westwood than Newton, hence my suggestion.

I assumed (and probably others) that the OP would have access to a car, but if she won't the recommendations would change quite a bit.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:56 AM

816 posts, read 993,781 times
Quote:
Needham is an interesting option to explore as well. But, I am not sure about recent resident profile as opposed to 20 years ago when it was well to do "townie" town (no diss intended).
A lot of things come to mind when I think about Needham (wealthy, excellent schools, soccer moms driving Porsche Cayennes, etc) , but townie isn't one of them lol

Old 05-27-2015, 07:31 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,058 times
I see a larger decision to be made here, and that's Chicago vs. Boston. They are very different animals.

Coming from the UK, you'll find New England much more like home (if that is indeed your home). Having lived in both cities I can tell you, on the whole, people in Chicago are more outwardly personable, so I'm surprised you're not getting much help on that forum (unless everyone is just looking for houses and neighborhood advice there as well).

Without children, Chicago is one of the most fun places to live that I can think of. Things change with kids, though, and it's less about eating and drinking with friends and music festivals, and more about finding kid-friendly activities. The diversity of activities, ecosystems and topography that New England offers is hard to beat. When you leave Chicago, you've just left the most interesting place for miles and miles. When you leave Boston, you've got interesting stuff in every direction. It's more of a city vs. region decision.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts