Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 05:18 PM

38 posts, read 78,537 times

Advertisements

Next month I will be relocating up to Lexington for a career move. I currently reside in NJ.

My budget is at 350K, so I know I definitely need to look away from Lexington

I would be leaving at 6AM and then hopefully leaving work to commute home at 3pm. I want to keep my commute under a hour. For my previous job in NJ, I commuted a hour, but it was mainly back roads.

I am looking for average to slightly above average school systems. I have a 1 year old and a 5 year old.

Now when I was up there, I traveled on 95 for a bit. I found it abysmal, worse than some of the jersey shore traffic. I am thinking it may be wiser to look West of Lexington then (can anyone comment on that direction of a commute).

With that said, any recommendations on towns? I was considering Maynard and the surrounding areas. I was told to avoid Lowell at all costs.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 05:38 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Maynard is good for young families with your budget. Try Burlington also.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:45 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,242,024 times
I would also check Wilmington, Woburn, Chelmsford. Maynard and Burlington are great suggestions as well.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:15 PM

974 posts, read 1,899,603 times
Maynard is a great town. Stow is another.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:32 PM

187 posts, read 217,483 times
I love Stow and live in the town but for your budget, probably not going to get the house you want with a family...what square footage, etc are you hoping to get? Maynard, Waltham and Chelmsford would be my recommendations without knowing if you want the semi-rural lifestyle or more urban/suburban...?

Old 08-22-2015, 06:37 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
You're not going to find much in Burlington for that budget. In fact, only one house is on the market at that price and it's an old, "charming" two bed/2 bath unit on a 4K sq. ft. lot. If the lot were bigger to meet today's minimum size of 20K sq. ft. it would be a teardown.

Anything under $400K is a target for a teardown.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:55 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,242,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
You're not going to find much in Burlington for that budget. In fact, only one house is on the market at that price and it's an old, "charming" two bed/2 bath unit on a 4K sq. ft. lot. If the lot were bigger to meet today's minimum size of 20K sq. ft. it would be a teardown.

Anything under $400K is a target for a teardown.

That is very true. Burlington is getting more expensive, It makes sense given the location. Op will have to compromise, be it size, location, schools, commute, or condition.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:57 AM

816 posts, read 995,254 times
We had your budget of $350K as well, but this was back in 2013 when home prices were a little lower. We focused on Burlington, Wilmington, Reading, Woburn, and Tewskbury. We couldn't find anything in those towns that weren't completely outdated, teardowns, or little ranches that had the same square footage as our apartment in Cambridge!. We had more luck in Woburn and Tewksbury, but schools weren't very desirable. And even those towns now are on the expensive side.

We ended up going to the other side of the metro on the South Shore. We found what we wanted with good schools, but still ended up going 15K over our MAX budget. If we were buying our house today, we probably couldn't afford it as its valued over 400K.

Unfortunately, I think you'll have a tough time getting much with $350K. What is your criteria for a home? # of beds/baths, sq footage, garage, big yard, main rd VS cul-de-sac, etc.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:31 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,142,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
Unfortunately, I think you'll have a tough time getting much with $350K. What is your criteria for a home? # of beds/baths, sq footage, garage, big yard, main rd VS cul-de-sac, etc.
As someone looking with a 350-370K max budget, I'd say there's some truth in your comment.

One has to go pretty far west before 350k buys you a viable SFH (title v pass, not a tear down). Occasionally, a town like Littleton or Westford will have a modest/dated raised ranch or cape for under 350K. West of 495, the COL starts to drop. Towns like Shrewsbury offer pretty good value, but a commute to Lexington is not ideal (90 to 128 would be a bit of a drag and likely 60-80 minutes).

If OP can tolerate a 40-45 minute commute, buying near rt 2 or 495 in towns like Lancaster, Groton, or Bolton might be the best compromise. With OP leaving that early, a commute down rt. 2 would be relatively painless (Concord rotary being an exception). The afternoon/evening is certainly going to tough unless the OP can be on the road before 4pm.

That, or a condo/townhouse in Acton.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:38 AM

816 posts, read 995,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Towns like Shrewsbury offer pretty good value, but a commute to Lexington is not ideal (90 to 128 would be a bit of a drag and likely 60-80 minutes).
Even Shrewsbury I heard was on the pricier side. Probably due to very good schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts