Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 02:40 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey0480 View Post
Thank you all for the heads up. This is definitely helpful

I am going to stick to the east and go as far up as pelham NH, though i am going to try to avoid going to NH at this point.

I appreciate all of your input.
Take a look at Chelmsford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 02:46 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
I think northern Lancaster would work.

Commute that would be an hour or less depending on the time, top school district in the state, and access to the Shirley commuter rail (Free parking!) should your job options change.
Agreed, but inventory in this section of town is limited at best. Nearly all the inventory within OPs price range is near the Clinton line. Worth a look though, particularly since the Nashoba schools are quite good. I think west Groton is still an option as well, for very similar reasons.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:04 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
The nock on Townsend is not just the commute but long trips on the weekend as well. I would routinely drive to Leominster or Nashua on the weekends racking up the mikes while my wife was in Leominster almost every day at some store. You save on housing but put 15k on each car a year. At least dunstable, lunenberg, Lancaster are near shopping.

I will say though, rt 2 is still the easiest commuter road especially if you leave early.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:45 AM

248 posts, read 342,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Take a look at Chelmsford.
I agree. I live on the south side of Westford, near Chelmsford and work in Lexington. At the hours OP is planning to commute it will be a BREEZE! You can use back roads very efficiently.

Unless you want brand new and huge, there are houses in your budget in Chelmsford, it's about the average home price. And, it is a nice town. I spend a lot of time there as I have friends there, do some shopping there, drive through it every day and keep a horse there.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:05 AM

38 posts, read 78,526 times
Can anyone comment on Billerica?

Old 09-30-2015, 08:37 AM

816 posts, read 994,817 times
Quote:
The wife and I looked at buying a home there before ending up on the South Shore. We were looking initially in neighboring Wilmington and Burlington, but were priced out for what we were looking for. Billerica was cheaper in comparison. Schools weren't known to be great (this was in 2013, not sure if they're better now?) and it definitely had a very townie feel to it. But other than that, I'm assuming it is relatively safe, just a little "rough around the edges" I guess.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:22 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Billerica is a mix of blue collar and white collar residents. Solid services, reasonable tax rate, great sports and recreation activities, average schools, lots of tech companies, great Rt 3 location, 3 Market Baskets on Boston Rd.. It gets very rural near the Carlisle side. The house of correction is a quiet neighbor. It's basically a solid town at reasonable prices.

I've know people who moved there and left for better schools and others that stayed forever.

I predict that in the next 5 years it will become more expensive as people are priced out of Wilmington and Burlington and will be willing to go even further towards 495.

What may surprise many is the shear size of the town - 26.4 square miles.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:26 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
thanks again.
My realtor suggested Townsend (apologies if spelling off). It looks like a 30ish mile commute but google maps is saying that it can be had in around a hour when leaving at 6AM. Can anyone comment?
Townsend is a beautiful town. With personal knowledge that morning commute from Acton to Lexington would be 45 minutes, I estimate Townsend to Lexington commute would be an hour and a half each way. Chelmsford or Wilmington would be better commutes for you.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:32 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Wilmington is a bit more accessible to Lexington than Billerica. Do avoid the main roads through Woburn as these get very jammed. Billerica is quite large land wise and more spread out than Wilmington. Wilmington has more sidewalks than Billerica.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:09 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Wilmington is a bit more accessible to Lexington than Billerica. Do avoid the main roads through Woburn as these get very jammed. Billerica is quite large land wise and more spread out than Wilmington. Wilmington has more sidewalks than Billerica.
I'll disagree. I think Billerica would be an easier ride to Lexington. At least one can take 4/225 or Middlesex Tpk from Billerica. The only real back way is on Rt. 62 in Burlington which can be a horror show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts