Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 06:05 PM

22 posts, read 20,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECPCVC View Post
You both sound lovely.
Thanks. What part of do you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 06:14 PM

434 posts, read 510,636 times
I am a lifelong New Englander and have spent quite a bit of time in Texas as I have a lot of family there. I think you'd be much happier staying where you are.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:19 PM

53 posts, read 54,743 times
There is plenty of conservative types in Massachusetts and all over the NorthEast and New England who CAN'T STAND the nanny state liberals in Boston. Boston is made up of many people who are NOT from the area, and it's laws and reputation attract liberals more than a lot of places, the colleges add to that.

But, did you see the turn out for Donald Dump in lowell? Look it up.

Me personally I can't stand democraps or repugnantkins. But I'm all for ZERO GUN CONTROL. Even for some felons (particular those convicted of non-violent felonies). Even for those with mental disorders (not all types). There is no evidence that shows that people with diagnosed mental disorders are responsible for more shootings, quite the opposite. Though, I also am not saying that people who do the most shootings do NOT have mental disorders, such as inner city young men who will possess guns regardless of how strict the laws are. There can be good reasons for shootings in the inner city as well, the news never reports the details, many shootings are justified. If someone attempts to rob your family member for money, drugs, whatever, and kills them in the process you're going to want revenge. Poor people can't trust police for justice, with good reason.

Vermont has the most lenient gun laws in the nation. There is a culture war in New England between the right-wing and the left. I am for social services and zero gun control so I'm not involved that. I don't fall on either side of the isle. Boston area and this website in particular has some of the worst people on earth in terms of their political views. People who are pro-gun control and anti-helping the poor. The Howie Car crowd, etc... Those who go around joking about lighting homeless people's tents on fire while they sleep and find it hysterical, lol.

Personally, I think you can find like minded people here, but it will be harder than in Texas. Because even those who are right-wing/conservative whatever you want to call it, many still have the "New England Reserve". But, many conservatives once they find out you are one of them will be much friendlier. So, let it be known, but be careful at your job site as the liberals in positions of power and influence can be some of the nastiest on the planet in exercising whatever influence they have.

I think weather is just as important in choosing where to live, as your politics. Here, our winters can be like your summers in that many spend a great portion of them indoors. But you could always get into snowshoeing or skiing, etc.. Remember, in New England Winters you can always bundle up and keep warm, but the only option for keeping cool in Texas summers is going swimming the entire afternoon or staying in the air-conditioning. But, there are plenty of viruses, nasty colds, flu, and bacteria that go around here so you won't escape that maybe you got lucky when you were here last time.

In terms of places to live, nothing has as many "entertainment" options as Boston. I personally would rather not live in Boston, the city just is not that impressive to me, but everything is concentrated there especially economically. Fortunately I care more about hiking and swimming than going to a different restaurant or bar/club every weekend. As long as I have good pizza and a couple good diners, some good comfort food around and a mid-sized town with a good supermarket, I am satisfied. I haven't quite found my perfect spot yet. But Boston out to Athol (Central/Western Mass) has one of the best Supermarket Chains anywhere and it is growing - Market Basket, as well as plenty of whole foods which has a couple goodies hard to find other places.

The best part of New England is the beautiful Spring/Summer/Fall and of course the fact that the Appalachian range covers a good portion of it, my favorite mountain range. The people leave something to be desired, but then a percentage of Texans seem like they can be somewhat disagreeable as well. As with anywhere there is good and bad, but if you give greater weight to the things you like in New England than to the things you like about Texas, I would move here and see if it works. There's always trade-offs. The biggest that strikes me right off the bat is losing access to SOUTHERN COOKING. NOTHING like it around here, the BBQ around here is a joke, even the "best" bbq restaurants are sorely lacking even if they have a vastly more extensive menu. I prefer places down south like Chandlers Deli in Knoxville and Hillybilly Willy's in Chattanoogy Tennessee that do a few things REALLY WELL. They don't try to overextend themselves in their offerings. But most people's idea of a "bbq" in New England is slap a burger and hotdog on the grill and 10 minutes later put it in a bun with some ketchup.

I definitely would give the weather advantage to New England, and the food advantage to Texas. Unless you're crazy about seafood, which of course Boston does very well. Italian food is not bad in Boston, not really my thing. They have a few good Pizza places in Boston but a ton of bad ones as well. The Boston area is not a foodies paradise, but of course being a city it's size as popular as it is, it has a few good places. Expensive Steak houses are big here, again not my thing.

Portsmouth, NH is a cute town, I don't know what to recommend you. Pittsburgh (not in New England but the border between Northeast, Midwest, and West Virginia (it's own category) has friendlier people and similar weather but a bit warmer, and slightly more cloudy. If you want less dry arid environment but can tolerate the humidity and heat still, Nashville should have good food and more righties. I don't like North Carolina much, again, you can't beat the summers in New England, truly. It gets humid here too but you get a good amount of tremendous summer days with perfect weather for doing anything outdoors. Enough heat for those swimming days. Also, Boston has very little fresh water swimming in it's immediate vicinity, but of course it's only a couple hours to The Berkshires, White Mountains, and Vermont.

I'll be happy to answer some more questions, I want more people in New England who are against gun-control. We can begin to turn the tide, and vote out the anti-constitutional deadbeat liberals.

Last edited by notsobkcuf; 01-11-2016 at 07:49 PM..

Old 01-11-2016, 07:28 PM

404 posts, read 526,601 times
^^you, sir, can cover some ground!! I don't think there was a stone left unturned. Politics, supermarkets, gun laws, freshwater swimming....C-D gold!

Old 01-11-2016, 07:30 PM

434 posts, read 510,636 times
He's pretty obsessed with pizza, too. Major theme in all of his posts.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:58 PM

Lol, I have covered some ground in my life traveled quite a bit (around the U.S., Canada, and Mexico at least not a fan of flying). I do have a deep appreciation for good, family owned pizza places. Pizza Hut pizza is about the most disgusting thing one could order. I guess Domino's has it's place for late night delivery but still not a fan. Though, it's hard to beat the value at Little Caesars when you're in a rush, where you can walk in and get a $5 pepperoni pizza in 4 minutes or less, which is edible while fresh, but that type of pizza I need some ranch to dip it in. My favorite food though, is Southern comfort food and BBQ. I tried to move down south for that very reason, but it was too humid I like to enjoy my summers outdoors.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:08 PM

But it's the sides down south that to me, are unbelievably delicious and unmatched anywhere in the world. The mac n' cheese (completely different beast from up north), The collard greens when prepared right, Okra poppers, broccoli casserole smothered in cheese (what kind of cheeses do you use Chandlers!? Damn you!), candied sweet potatoes, fried green tomatoes, bbq baked beans, cornbread/biscuits, banana pudding, pulled pork, etc etc etc... I could keep going it's truly amazing and my biggest regret about living in the North is not having these around. We just can't do it right up here, maybe because we don't take our time like they do down south. I guess they have to take their time down there considering the humidity is so thick in most places it's suffocating cut it with a knife.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:03 AM

Thanks notsobkcuf for your comments. I do like the food from the South and the friendliness of people but at the same time weather makes it difficult to enjoy the time there in Dallas, TX. It's mostly dry there throughout the year and with the AC running, it makes it even worse. The summers last for 7-8 months and it makes you not want to go out at all. I agree that atleast in winter in New England, you can go out for skiing and other outdoor activities. Maybe it's good for us to try living here for a year or two and see if we both like it.
Do you suggest any places in MA that are fit our critieria- less liberal and not against gun-control, decent town for young professionals in 30s? My job is in downtown Boston so something easy to commute here would be preferred.
Regarding food, my husband makes great Southern BBQ. May be he can open a BBQ restaurant here.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan0105 View Post
I am a lifelong New Englander and have spent quite a bit of time in Texas as I have a lot of family there. I think you'd be much happier staying where you are.
You mean happier in Boston or Texas ?

Old 01-12-2016, 07:59 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorblade View Post
Do you suggest any places in MA that are fit our critieria- less liberal and not against gun-control, decent town for young professionals in 30s? My job is in downtown Boston so something easy to commute here would be preferred.
There is no town within reasonable commuting distance to Boston which isn't considered strongly liberal. Even the thoroughly white working class towns south of Boston tend to be vote democrat because they are generally pro-union guys.

If you want more libertarian and less liberal, you have to drive pretty far north or west (west central NH/MA where the trees out number the people).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts