Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 08:24 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times

Advertisements

OP, there are definitely some towns (especially southwest and northwest of the city ) that trend much more conservative but the problem is the gun laws are the same across the state. One of our NH forum members runs a website (Northeast Shooters) that would give you a better idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 08:38 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
OP, there are definitely some towns (especially southwest and northwest of the city ) that trend much more conservative but the problem is the gun laws are the same across the state. One of our NH forum members runs a website (Northeast Shooters) that would give you a better idea.
According to my gun owning friends, the hassle of obtaining licenses is largely town dependent. As such, obtaining licensing in a town like West Bridgewater will likely be exponentially easier than a doing so in a more liberal, more affluent, more dense town such a Westwood.

Regardless, no where in MA (or NH for that matter) will one see pickup trucks with mounted shotguns ... just a different culture up here. The gun owners in MA generally do not advertise, but there are plenty.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:01 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsobkcuf View Post
Lol, I have covered some ground in my life traveled quite a bit (around the U.S., Canada, and Mexico at least not a fan of flying). I do have a deep appreciation for good, family owned pizza places. Pizza Hut pizza is about the most disgusting thing one could order. I guess Domino's has it's place for late night delivery but still not a fan. Though, it's hard to beat the value at Little Caesars when you're in a rush, where you can walk in and get a $5 pepperoni pizza in 4 minutes or less, which is edible while fresh, but that type of pizza I need some ranch to dip it in. My favorite food though, is Southern comfort food and BBQ. I tried to move down south for that very reason, but it was too humid I like to enjoy my summers outdoors.
Stop the ridiculousness. Anyone who gives a hoot about pizza wouldn't even mention those three chains. In fact, I don't think Little Caesars can be legally served to anyone not attending a fraternity car wash. Honestly I haven't even seen one in years.

I do have my issues with the abundance of Greek style pizza around here, but there are tons of great independent pizza joints that do traditional style. Penguin Pizza in Brigham Circle is one of my favorites, with a great, laid back pub atmosphere as well.

For BBQ, try Soul Fire in Allston. There's one in Brigham Circle as well, but the atmosphere in Allston is much better.

Edit to add that Bravo Pizzeria in Allston is another favorite.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:09 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorblade View Post
I have a contracting job for 6 months in Boston, MA . My husband lives in Dallas, TX. I have lived in both places. To give you background, I am originally a South Asian (India) and have worked in a few cities in US. My husband is an American and spent most of his time in TX and OK with a few years in CA throughout his life. He likes being close to the water but at the same time can't tolerate blue states like CA and NY and most of east coast for reasons such as : liberals, gun-control, rude people, police state.
I find your "police state" comment very odd. When I lived in Texas, I found it to be very much a police state- in New England not at all. In Texas, the police are very present at every turn and will stop you for any minor infraction including jay-walking! In N.E. it can be hard to find them when you need them- unless you want a parking ticket- they're always up for that.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:22 AM

22 posts, read 20,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I find your "police state" comment very odd. When I lived in Texas, I found it to be very much a police state- in New England not at all. In Texas, the police are very present at every turn and will stop you for any minor infraction including jay-walking! In N.E. it can be hard to find them when you need them- unless you want a parking ticket- they're always up for that.
Ok I give you that. I guess it depends on which region of the state you live. Sometimes you see lot of police in Texas as well. But my point was referred more towards being a nanny state which most of Boston has become. The government wants to control everything and they don't trust their citizens to do anything right. They want to take away the citizens rights which I'm not fond of.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:29 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorblade View Post
Ok I give you that. I guess it depends on which region of the state you live. Sometimes you see lot of police in Texas as well. But my point was referred more towards being a nanny state which most of Boston has become. The government wants to control everything and they don't trust their citizens to do anything right. They want to take away the citizens rights which I'm not fond of.
Can you give an example that's actually relevant to you? I hear people say this a lot, but I don't think it affects most people here. How many people actually walk around with a gun on their belt or drive a hot rod with a straight pipe that doesn't pass emissions (besides @BostonMike7)?

Old 01-12-2016, 09:34 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Can you give an example that's actually relevant to you? I hear people say this a lot, but I don't think it affects most people here. How many people actually walk around with a gun on their belt or drive a hot rod with a straight pipe that doesn't pass emissions (besides @BostonMike7)?
I was about to ask the same. Other than the ability to open carry and other gun-related issues, what expanded rights would I have in Texas in relation to Massachusetts?

Old 01-12-2016, 09:43 AM

4,693 posts, read 3,473,160 times
I am not sure by any account but couldn't you argue there are actually more personal rights in Massachusetts then Texas? I am thinking along the consumer protection and health care laws. Do they not favour the individual over the corporations? Just a thought.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:45 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I am not sure by any account but couldn't you argue there are actually more personal rights in Massachusetts then Texas? I am thinking along the consumer protection and health care laws. Do they not favour the individual over the corporations? Just a thought.
Sure. They also drive up the cost of everything.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:48 AM

4,693 posts, read 3,473,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Sure. They also drive up the cost of everything.
True. I was just answering the personal freedom vs Texas argument.

Something about this thread strikes me as off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts