Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 12:00 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,242,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
what's not to get? I'm expanding my search to find an area that has many home to choose from and 5 older, fixer upper homes doesn't really cut it. I was hoping that by looking farther out we could find towns that have many homes to choose from. With me using a VA loan for every 5 homes there is general 1 out of the 5 that'll be acceptable for VA loan inspection. It's just the nature of buying older homes in this region
I would add Woburn to your search. Keep close tabs on Chelmsford. Have all of your mortgage approval done, get good agent so you can leap on first good listing or even before it gets listed (that is what good local agents do). But for that to work out, you need to be settled on an area and not be running around like a chicken.

Your head is most likely spinning from all the voices, but this should be said as well.

If stars align, and you can find decent condo/TH in Reading, Wilmington, Wakefield even Woburn. e.g , you have made more money and secured good resale down the road, then with any of SF you can chase out in the bunnies. Plus, you are closer to Boston and Cambridge for commute, and sudden job change.

I understand your sentiment for SF, but what if you get stuck and underwater because of the lousy location and schools? Half of the issue during recent bust in RE were homebuyers getting "creative" and maximizing their home purchase with commutes and locations that are poorly supported by tried and true fundamentals of RE. Location and good schools always trump condition, and size. You are buying in an inflated market, be very careful of where you go. It can eat you alive couple of years from now.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 12:00 PM

4,694 posts, read 3,475,013 times
[quote=Bruins3445;42865217]We had ruled Lowell out entirely but I am curious as to what the "nicer" neighborhoods in Lowell are? Or what landmarks/streets to avoid? Just want to do a quick search and see if what we could get. If the house is cheap enough we could send to private school

The neighbourhoods I really like are The Upper Highlands, most of Belvidare, and South Lowell. Personally I would avoid The Acre, most of The Lower Highlands, Back Central and most of Centerville. While Pawtucketville is nice traffic is murder going over the river.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:05 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
A couple of things to keep in mind. Rt 3A (Boston Post Rd.) is very congested at rush hour. It's a state road and Billerica asked the state to stripe it as one lane so traffic sticks to a single lane. In Burlington, it's striped as one but it's wide enough for two cars side by side so it can be unnerving.
I hate that road. You get some driver's driving as if it's one and others think it's two and want to pass on the right.

Billerica tends to love their speed traps too. Can't tell you the number of times I've seen a cop in Billerica center pulling people over for inspection stickers.

They also love to do traps on Middlesex tpk and near the cemetery on Concord Rd. In 15 years of driving, my one and only ticket is on this stretch of road.

Drive slow in the 'Rica

Old 02-02-2016, 12:10 PM

550 posts, read 681,081 times
Nice sections of Lowell are Belvidere (towards Tewksbury) Pawtucketville ( Towards Dracut, Tyngsborough and the Upper Highlands which is close to the Chelmsford line

Old 02-02-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Home must pass VA approval, so needing TLC or repairs is a no,
I missed this one.

Finding a move-in ready house in Northern MA for under $300K that will pass VA inspection will be tough.

With it being a competitive seller's market right now, one might be willing to pass up FHA/VA loans for easier conventional/cash deals.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:19 PM

339 posts, read 665,664 times
Forgive me if I'm being a broken record but I don't recall anyone here weighing in on Dracut. 15 homes under $300k, some look nice and like they're even in neighborhoods. I do value education however if the home is the right price we could afford private school

Input or thoughts on Dracut?

Old 02-02-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Forgive me if I'm being a broken record but I don't recall anyone here weighing in on Dracut. 15 homes under $300k, some look nice and like they're even in neighborhoods. I do value education however if the home is the right price we could afford private school

You've got Lowell to the south, and Methuen/Lawrence to the east.

The biggest downfall of the town is that anytime you want to go anywhere in MA, those are the areas you need to drive through to get to the highways. But you have 495, rt3 and I93 right there. You can be down in Boston in 45 mins

Other than that, quiet sleepy blue-collared town. Reminds me of Tewksbury. I've spent some time at restarants and such in the neighborhood. Seems like a nice town. I'm a member of a shooting club there.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 02-02-2016 at 12:58 PM..

Old 02-02-2016, 12:38 PM

4,694 posts, read 3,475,013 times
Quote:

I can't tell you much about Dracut. I do know two different families that moved there after being priced out of Chelmsford. I haven't heard any complaints about the schools. Both families are very active in their kids schools and both are very active in local kid's sports leagues. I don't know if that's normal for that town or its just them.
The only thing that would put me off of Dracut is its so far from the highways.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:39 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I hate that road. You get some driver's driving as if it's one and others think it's two and want to pass on the right.
That's why I try to stay to the right. If someone wants to pass on the left, I let them.

If it were limited to 1 lane, the traffic through Burlington Center would be a nightmare during rush hour.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:26 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,142,393 times
Buying in Belvidere was a good idea in 2009/10/11 when prices were heavily deflated, but home prices have climbed considerably in this neighborhood since. I'd be concerned, per kingeorge's input, that you'd be exposing yourself to a world of hurt in the next down turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts