Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:38 PM

32 posts, read 114,070 times

Advertisements

We just moved here from the Palm Springs area.

I think if you look for negativity, you are certain to find it. I've found the easiest way to relax into the area is to embrace the charm and commonalities that this area has...for instance, in California when you make a purchase you normally say "Thank you" and the salesperson replies with "Thank you." Here, they say "you're welcome." Even though that is the normal response (one would think) I almost want to say "No, YOU are welcome. I just patronized your store!"

Also, "you're all set?" is heard frequently too.

The weather has been the hardest adjustment for me, and I simply dont understand when New Englanders who say "Oh, you are going to hate it here. I've lived here all my life and I hate it." How do you even respond to that??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 04:42 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Winter weather has set in a bit early this year- but this is not too cold; real cold is 15 degrees at noon and zero at night.

Some people will never ever be happy where they live---chronic complainers/whiny.
I went through a stage when I thought New England was not a good place- I soon learned and realized we have the highest quality of life in the nation, with so much to be proud of and thankful for.

On weather- yes CA natives relocating here will have to adjust to the cold- and in the summer more periods of unpleasant weather with a sultry heat at times- however it adds stimulation, and makes one appreciate long periods of nice weather much more.

Last edited by skytrekker; 12-04-2007 at 06:20 AM..

Old 12-06-2007, 09:15 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,178,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packedandready View Post
The weather has been the hardest adjustment for me, and I simply dont understand when New Englanders who say "Oh, you are going to hate it here. I've lived here all my life and I hate it." How do you even respond to that??
I would respond by saying: "I guess the grass is always geener on the other side of the fence. California is nice, but I love the seasons. I love singing Christmas carols when its cold outside and there's a roaring blaze in the fireplace. I love seeing kids have unbridled joy as they sled down hills and build snowmen. I love the spring flowers blooming in April, and seeing the trees burst is buds of white that soon turn green. I love the warm-but-not-too-hot summers, and knowing that they won't last forever makes me enjoy them all that much more. And, of course, I love the world-famous autumns, when the leaves sparkle in a million shades of gold, yellow, and red. I love picking apples in cool breezes and Halloween in a sweater. No, I don't hate the weather at all."

Old 12-07-2007, 11:40 AM

11 posts, read 32,669 times
We were relocated from CA to MASS and I cannot wait to go back to CA .
I found the people in CA to be a lot more open and friendly, I loved the diversity there. Yes, there may be people who are superficial and phonies just like everywhere, but there are also really NICE people who are genuine and
open and were there for us when we needed them, truly nice people. It may have been a coincidence but we are not finding it in here. People seem to keep more to themselves.
The weather, well, there is a lot more to it than what the thermometer says. If you have young children, it is very difficult to lock them indoors for 5 months every year. I have a very active toddler, very outdorsy and he is going bananas when we can't go out which is too often because it is too cold for him.
We are missing being outside for walks, biking, hiking...
I would love the seasons if there were really 4 distinct seasons, but there is NO spring whatsoever, April and May were grey, rainy and cold. The summer was way too short, and then the winter started abruptly and it will last again until April...
So my answer to your question is WE are hating it and we will be back in CA as soon as we can, which hopefully will be in just a few weeks/months, gosh I wish it were yesterday already!

Last edited by Syanae; 12-07-2007 at 11:51 AM..

Old 12-10-2007, 01:11 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Syanae, learn how to bundle up the young'un. I used to spend lots of time out in the coldest weather when I was very young in Western Mass. It's all a matter of layers, ski mask, gloves, insulated boots, wool socks, and scarves. Don't wear cotton clothing, it won't insulate when wet. Teach him how to ice skate, sled, ski .... there's lots to do during the winter.

It may be you are experiencing an unusual year in terms of weather. Most years there is a definite, refreshing spring, and a gorgeous autumn.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:09 AM

450 posts, read 558,221 times
this summer was really short and the winter is really cold this year, minus and zero and we're only in the beginning of december, in june it only got into the 40's most days and then it raiined and rained, this not including the wind what goes right though you.

said this another post this person told me about this idiot who bought palm trees and thought he could plant them because he thought it was getting warmer well his plam tree certainly died from the cold

as for the standered of life, moving away from mass certainly improved my life , it;s cheaper where I am, so now I can go away on vacation, I can buy what I want for the most part , I don't have to shell out a fortune fo heating bills, I don't get colds or am sick as I used to be up there in massachusetts, my family have more than they did before, the school where my son went was laying off teachers in massachusetts they were cancelling programmes like sports and arts now he has all this where we live and no one is being layed off from their job

lived all over the world and the standerd of living is terrble in masschusetts, the amount of people I know who are there who have to leave their heat down and then never have money left at tghe end of winter is astounding.

if you compare Newengland then it would be wrong as new england is not a state the states within new england are certainly very different one another with different laws, taxes, etc

I've lived in mass and NH and I could never say about CT as I have never lived iin ct same as someone who lives in RI can't comment on northern maine.

maybe this is where some get confused new england is very different within the states what make new england. ct might be warm but maine isn't , ri would be warmer than NH

Old 12-10-2007, 12:15 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
It IS almost as though it's the same person, or maybe 2 halves of the same person? What are the chances of 2 such negative people moving to a condo in Lihi, Utah which they now are frustrated with. hmmmm I think you're onto something.... Or maybe they just hooked up and moved to Utah together

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_alt View Post

On a separate topic, I was struck by the incredibly negative tone (and poor spelling) of both ab1222 and kritterz78 on this thread. They seemed like a real pair.

As it turns out, kritterz78 now seems to be frustrated in Lehi, Utah. Here is one of their posts:

Frustrated In Utah!!! HELP!!!

By amazing coincidence, ab1222 has done the same:

Where Are Non-community Houses For Rent Near Lehi

It's almost as if they are the same person. Hopefully, they will find the peace and quiet they are seeking. I wish them well.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:52 PM

450 posts, read 558,221 times
columbo is on here

hello valerie nice to see you on here< waves from afar>

Old 12-12-2007, 11:36 AM

11 posts, read 32,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Syanae, learn how to bundle up the young'un. I used to spend lots of time out in the coldest weather when I was very young in Western Mass. It's all a matter of layers, ski mask, gloves, insulated boots, wool socks, and scarves. Don't wear cotton clothing, it won't insulate when wet. Teach him how to ice skate, sled, ski .... there's lots to do during the winter.

It may be you are experiencing an unusual year in terms of weather. Most years there is a definite, refreshing spring, and a gorgeous autumn.
Thank you for the advice, I agree snow sometimes can be fun. I just wish it wasn't there ALL the time
The problem I am having is that there is NO way he keeps his gloves on (he is 1.5 years old, so no negotiating possible yet).
Oh and why does it need to get dark so early??

Old 12-12-2007, 12:11 PM

702 posts, read 3,010,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remember-voltaire View Post
this summer was really short and the winter is really cold this year, minus and zero and we're only in the beginning of december, in june it only got into the 40's most days and then it raiined and rained, this not including the wind what goes right though you.
Are you talking Celsius or somewhere up north? It rarely gets to zero in Boston, let alone minus. I doubt it was that cold in December.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts