Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 02:42 PM

14 posts, read 18,374 times

Advertisements

My question involves civil rights in the State of: Massachusetts.
Hi Forum,

This is my first ever post and so is my first every accident that i am trying to inquire about.
Background:
I rear-ended a car on a very busy afternoon while returnuing from work. The driver just slammed the brakes(he says the guy in front of him did) and i was on the motrocycle behind him and could not stop as the bike skid on a slam of brake by me. I tried to steer away but hit on the rear side of his bumper. All injuries to me and more damage to my bike, his car had a dent.
The office arrived later and documented everything and gave us a report.
After a week, yesterday, i recieved a citation, which basically states CMR 7209.09(a) and Offesnse as "Failure to use care when stopping"
i have learnt from my insurance, that if you rear-end someone its considered ur fault whatever it may be.
I am a resident of NH and this happed in MA state.

Now i want to know the below things please, and I would appreciate all answers or knowledge that the forum members can shed:
a. Does this citation can get me any points on my NH license, when the incident happed in MA
b. If yes, should i contest this, is there any merit in doing so, the assesment is $20 but i am worried about my points.
c. I have one prior speeding ticket also in MASS, but i checked that the first incident you dont get any points.

Any inputs please

Thanks
Raunit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 02:57 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
I would contest it. I don't know how NH insurance is but I know we have received points on our Mass. policy for accidents/citations that our kids got in other states.

I think you have a good chance of getting the citation dismissed.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:12 PM

1,199 posts, read 638,223 times
You should not contest it, because accepting responsibility for your mistakes is a virtue. Also, you should stop speeding and following other vehicles too closely.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:49 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
You can contest it but you're going to lose given that there is evidence you rear ended someone (had you allowed more room it wouldn't have happened). You'll probably get points and your insurance will go up because of the accident. Be more careful next time.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:26 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,169 times
Moving violations do not effect your car insurance. I believe if you get two in a year it may jeopardize your license though

Old 09-27-2016, 06:29 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
Moving violations do not effect your car insurance. I believe if you get two in a year it may jeopardize your license though
Insurers periodically scour your driving record. Moving violations absolutely have an effect if they see it on your record.

Your license will be suspended if you accrue too many points.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:52 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
If you rear ended someone you are at fault. If you didn't have time to stop then you were following too closely. You'll never beat the ticket so not worth contesting

Old 09-27-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
You should not contest it, because accepting responsibility for your mistakes is a virtue. Also, you should stop speeding and following other vehicles too closely.
Well thanks for the comment, however it was bumper-bumper traffic and i dont think so anyone can speed in it
Like i said the other guy slammed the brakes, and i was on a motorcycle which "skid" as i had to slam the brakes too. i was hardly on 10-15mph. the bike fell and thats how it got more damage.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:07 AM

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.
I am made aware after this accident that if you "rear-end" someone its considered your fault, which is sadly true.
My insurance has already gone up as the bike was towed by them etc etc.
I am just not sure if this citation affects any worse than the present change.
Its hard to find anything connecting MA and NH laws so i am still not sure if i get the points on my NH record.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:11 AM

530 posts, read 358,310 times
Only suggestion from my side is invest in a dashcam (for car) and helmet cam for bike riders. Definitely worth the money in cases like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: