Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 10:31 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
The one caveat being that how blue a town is, usually (not always, but more times than not) correlates with the strength of schools in MA. Red towns like Townsend, Ashby, Billericca, Salisbury, Rowley, etc. don't have the greatest school systems.

Masconomet, Pentucket, Wachusett, Hamilton/Wenham seems to be red towns that have good schools but I would wager that they are more Bill Weld than Trump.
No it correlates to the wealth of the towns. Of course Lexington is going to have better schools than Billerica (which I honestly though was a blue town).

In Mass., typically the wealthiest and the poorest extremes are the bluest; while the reddest communities lie somewhere in the middle.

The bluest towns in the state also have some of the worst schools, mostly due to their high poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 11:14 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
No it correlates to the wealth of the towns. Of course Lexington is going to have better schools than Billerica (which I honestly though was a blue town).

In Mass., typically the wealthiest and the poorest extremes are the bluest; while the reddest communities lie somewhere in the middle.

The bluest towns in the state also have some of the worst schools, mostly due to their high poverty.
There is, however, some truth in OPs statement.

The republicans in Sterling (Wachusett) are, generally speaking, a different breed than the republicans in towns like West Bridgewater (fiscally conservative versus conservative "values").

Old 12-01-2016, 01:16 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Lynnfield went red this election. Interesting to see as it was surrounded completely by solidly blue towns. Being in and out of that town, I don't see a stark difference in values however

Old 12-01-2016, 01:31 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post

The republicans in Sterling (Wachusett) are, generally speaking, a different breed than the republicans in towns like West Bridgewater (fiscally conservative versus conservative "values").
Interestingly, Princeton (the wealthiest town in the system) flipped blue for this election.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:

But we do not know the OP's definition of conservative.

I'll state again, this past election is a very poor indicator of actual political trends within communities. Much of the vote for Trump was anti-Hillary as opposed to pro-Trump. Much of the Hillary vote was due to economics ie. the "haves" who's best interest was to keep the status-quo Clinton/Bush/Obama/NAFTA/TPP/globalization legacy. That is why you saw the Dovers and Shrewsburys and Boltons turn more blue, they have the most to lose going into this uncharted territory as opposed to the Templetons and Wares (or even the Oxfords or Bridgewaters) who have suffered the most in this new economy.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:19 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:

Interesting. If you are referring to social issues, maybe we need to study the average age of voters in these towns. My parents are over 65, and abortion was the most important issue to them. Yes...you read that right. Abortion.

Yes, Thanksgiving was a lot of fun.

Last edited by thenewtexan; 12-03-2016 at 08:28 AM..

Old 12-03-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
[/b]

Interesting. If you are referring to social issues, maybe we need to study the average age of voters in these towns. My parents are over 65, and abortion was the most important issue to them. Yes...you read that right. Abortion.

Yes, Thanksgiving was a lot of fun.
I would bet West Bridgewater leans younger than the Wachusett towns.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I would bet West Bridgewater leans younger than the Wachusett towns.
I wouldn't bet on it. Those towns have all grown a lot over the last 20 years by the thousands. There's a lot of land for new developments being bought up by young families, many of whom relocated from eastern Mass. looking for the best bang for their buck. West Bridgewater has only grown by about 300 since 2000. Could this be a sign that the area is similar to New Hampshire? Fiscal conservatives with a left leaning libertarian mentality?

I'm sure someone will step in and completely disprove my theory. Have at it.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
I wouldn't bet on it. Those towns have all grown a lot over the last 20 years by the thousands. There's a lot of land for new developments being bought up by young families, many of whom relocated from eastern Mass. looking for the best bang for their buck. West Bridgewater has only grown by about 300 since 2000. Could this be a sign that the area is similar to New Hampshire? Fiscal conservatives with a left leaning libertarian mentality?

I'm sure someone will step in and completely disprove my theory. Have at it.
I think of Sterling, Holden and Princeton as being fairly mature. Older people who have lived there their entire lives, 2nd time buyers in their 40s+ (IDK Rutland and Paxton might be different). Clinton and Lancaster seem to attract significantly more first time buyers in their 20s and 30s. But I believe there is a regular poster who lives in Sterling, maybe he can confirm or disprove this.

West Bridgewater attracts a lot of younger buyers from Brockton area and northward, always has. Most of them aren't buying the larger new constructions you speak of, but typically a modest 70s era fixer-upper or something like that. Really all of the Bridgewaters as well as Middleboro have long been a destination for first time buyers south of Boston. In addition Bridgewater of course has the large college population, some of whom vote there and some don't.

I have lived in both areas discussed, the prior more recently. Still have friends in both.

I think you may be generalizing NH a bit.

Last edited by massnative71; 12-04-2016 at 12:07 PM..

Old 12-04-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I think of Sterling, Holden and Princeton as being fairly mature. Older people who have lived there their entire lives, 2nd time buyers in their 40s+ (IDK Rutland and Paxton might be different). Clinton and Lancaster seem to attract significantly more first time buyers in their 20s and 30s. But I believe there is a regular poster who lives in Sterling, maybe he can confirm or disprove this.

West Bridgewater attracts a lot of younger buyers from Brockton area and northward, always has. Most of them aren't buying the larger new constructions you speak of, but typically a modest 70s era fixer-upper or something like that. Really all of the Bridgewaters as well as Middleboro have long been a destination for first time buyers south of Boston. In addition Bridgewater of course has the large college population, some of whom vote there and some don't.

I have lived in both areas discussed, the prior more recently. Still have friends in both.

I think you may be generalizing NH a bit.
I checked the US census, and 3 out of s Wachusett towns are have a median age younger than West Bridgewater. To my surprise, the only two that were not were Princeton and Sterling, and the youngest of the five was Paxton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts