Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 10:50 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,324,502 times

Advertisements

LOL. Right poor people should not have children. Tell that to the world.

Quite honestly I agree with you...but you are usually so PC timberline...that is a very un PC statement to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 11:01 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post

Quite honestly I agree with you...but you are usually so PC timberline...that is a very un PC statement to make.
OK, we can just import more people from unstable 3rd world countries to have them for us. I can assure you they will have no issue doing this...and guess who will end up paying to support them!!!

Old 12-22-2016, 11:05 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post

Haha, very few people that know me would consider me PC at all. It's just that this board/forum is very conservative, so here I am, on a relative basis. I don't know anyone that would consider personal fiscal responsibility to be anti-PC though.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Haha, very few people that know me would consider me PC at all. It's just that this board/forum is very conservative, so here I am, on a relative basis. I don't know anyone that would consider personal fiscal responsibility to be anti-PC though.
Do you realize that if everybody went by your own strategy, society would not likely survive? Probably none of us would be here to have this conversation right now.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:12 AM

344 posts, read 336,318 times
I always thought 'conservative' and 'PC' didn't really mesh well together.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLinderman View Post
I always thought 'conservative' and 'PC' didn't really mesh well together.
Many are fiscally conservative and PC at the same time.

Many old school liberals are not PC at all.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:18 AM

344 posts, read 336,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

Many old school liberals are not PC at all.
Ah, so more of the 'delicate sensibilities' type of PC as opposed to the 'making up pronouns' variety?

Old 12-22-2016, 11:21 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Quote:
This is why you don't have children unless you can absolutely be sure that you can support them properly one one income, and one less than you're making. It's one reason I ended up not marrying the person I was engaged to, we could not agree on that issue.

Which yes, means very few people around here would have children. That's fine.

It also means not buying a house that pushes you financially at all. If everyone did that, prices wouldn't be so high.

That is for one person, and 80k still has to be at, or above, the median household income for the area. I know this is a wealthy and conservative forum, but really, not too many people in the world are going to have sympathy for six figure earners "only" making 80k or whatever.

You do understand many of these laid off technical career people are not making 80k, many are working for minimum wage at Home Depot or similar with little hope of using the educations or skills they paid for and worked hard to have.

And I can assure you the ones I know who have children, who started their careers in the 1980s and 1990s never imagined a world where entire department in corporations were eliminated to be offshored, with jobs never returning.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:26 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Do you realize that if everybody went by your own strategy, society would not likely survive? Probably none of us would be here to have this conversation right now.
It would survive quite fine, especially since so many costs would fall, a new equilibrium would be reached.

Quote:
Yup, and very few "conservatives" are conservative at all, they just prioritize different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
You do understand many of these laid off technical career people are not making 80k, many are working for minimum wage at Home Depot or similar with little hope of using the educations or skills they paid for and worked hard to have.

And I can assure you the ones I know who have children, who started their careers in the 1980s and 1990s never imagined a world where entire department in corporations were eliminated to be offshored, with jobs never returning.
Many? Some. The talent market is tight and people are still getting recruited like crazy (esp around here).

And I can't comment on the 80s, but in the 90s in school such scenarios were very very much talked about, we definitely discussed things like what skills and careers would be less outsourceable, the writing was on the wall once we got internet in the libraries. The speed it happened was a surprise though.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
It would survive quite fine, especially since so many costs would fall, a new equilibrium would be reached.

No, because people will never be "comfortable" enough even if costs do come more in line with typical wages (going by your rules anyway). Saying that, especially with our economy becoming more service dominated; any decline in middle-class spending will result in even lower middle-class wages. But even back when COL was more reasonable in the 50s and 60s, the average provider could not absorb a significant cut in pay. People have always stretched themselves when having kids, always will.

Quote:
Yup, and very few "conservatives" are conservative at all, they just prioritize different things.
I don't even know what a "conservative" is anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts