Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 02:14 PM

33 posts, read 62,028 times

Advertisements

I see so many threads about people complaining about living in boston. Its expensive, its depressing, the winter etc,

Why do you like boston? Would you ever leave?

I am a born and raised newyorker but planning on a move in the next year. Boston, specifically cohasset or hingham area has always been on my list. I love new england i love how proud people from boston are about where they come from and the beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 03:06 PM

779 posts, read 878,327 times
Things I love about Boston:
1. Close to ocean. During the summer we bring our kids to the beach for a couple of hours on a Saturday or Sunday. Not something we do ALL day, but being close to beaches is a must. Cohasset or Hingham would be ideal for something like that, but we're in Norwell, so not too far away.
2. Close to mountains. We like to ski. And hike.
3. Not cookie cutter. I grew up in the midwest where the in the suburbs the homes all look exactly alike. I don't want that.
4. So much to do. My husband and I do a date night on Saturday nights. There is never a shortage of things to do. Concerts, dinners at restaurants we love, the ballet, opera, theater performance--we often have a hard time choosing.
5. Even in the 'burbs, there are a variety of options. We take ballroom dancing on Fridays. There are cooking classes. The adult education center near us has meditation classes, photography classees, etc. Plus there are fun concerts near us and great restaurants without going downtown.
6. Schools. While I worry they can be hypercompetitive, the schools in this area are obviously pretty top-notch when compared with the rest of the nation. I want my kids to have educational opportunities I never had, so this was a big consideration for us when moving here.
7. Hospitals. Boston has some of the best hospitals and while I hope we never need them, it's comforting to know they are so close.
8. I happen to love all things antique, especially homes. We live in an 18th century house and I love other antique homes. I realize there are other old cities on the East Coast, but again, since I'm grew up in the midwest where the vast majority of homes are brand new, I'm always fascinated by how old and unique the homes are here.
9. So many things for the kids! The children's museum, the science museum, the aquarium, the museum of fine arts, the lego museum, multiple zoos. We try to reserve Sunday mornings for one of these things and it's nice to have so many options.
10. Fewer chains. I admit that sometimes I crave chain food that isn't offered here, but for the most part I love how so many businesses and restaurants are local.

Things I don't love:
1. The cost of living. Home prices, childcare prices, everything prices. I sometimes can't help but think how much more we could be saving if we lived elsewhere.
2. The traffic. Especially living on the south shore. I don't have to commute anymore, but the traffic still drivs me crazy. It could be bumper-to-bumper for no apparent reason at 8am on a Saturday morning. You just NEVER KNOW!
3. The daily grind. Sometimes I wish the pace were slower. I changed my career so I don't feel it so much day-to-day, but it's always there.
4. The "Keeping up with the Joneses" mentality. I'm not the type, but it's everywhere, and sometimes it just gets tiring.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:08 PM

652 posts, read 750,978 times
Basically it comes down to my friends and family are all here, and there are a ton of jobs in my industry in the area. Oh, plus good beer, and sports.

I'm planning to snowbird in my retirement.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:28 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,326,179 times
Things I don't love:
1. The cost of living. Home prices, childcare prices, everything prices. I sometimes can't help but think how much more we could be saving if we lived elsewhere.
2. The traffic. Especially living on the south shore. I don't have to commute anymore, but the traffic still drivs me crazy. It could be bumper-to-bumper for no apparent reason at 8am on a Saturday morning. You just NEVER KNOW!
3. The daily grind. Sometimes I wish the pace were slower. I changed my career so I don't feel it so much day-to-day, but it's always there.
4. The "Keeping up with the Joneses" mentality. I'm not the type, but it's everywhere, and sometimes it just gets tiring.

^^ This

Honestly I kind of hate boston all winter but once it gets nice out it gets a lot better. It of course is still crowded and expensive...but at least im not freezing my butt off at the same time.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:22 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
I grew up here, went to college here, tons of jobs in my field here, and frankly I like the change of seasons. All my friends and family are here

I get to travel around the country a bit for work, but this area is always home.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:05 AM

3,222 posts, read 2,127,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I grew up here, went to college here, tons of jobs in my field here, and frankly I like the change of seasons. All my friends and family are here
Yes. That.
And the bulk of family who is not here is a short (relatively) flight across the Atlantic.

Also within one hour of my home in a decently accommodating city is beautiful mountains, Decent beaches, and pretty good recreational stuff.

I'm glad to pay the price to live here.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:26 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,914,390 times
I like to keep things as local as possible. When I look at Essex county where I live I can:

Sail, Ski (though small), Clam, hunt, Fish, ice fish, Visit a farm/ Enroll in a CSA, Go to the beach, Work/Play in a major American city, hike, buy fresh seafood, tour historic home, and attend the best Halloween festivals in the USA all within a half hour drive on the weekend. I have multiple companies in my industry so I dont every feel job lock. This helps me actually achieve more because I am not afraid of losing my job.

We have looked at moving to save money but when I look at moving to other parts of New England: The cost of housing doesn't increase enough to balance out probably over $1M in a lifetime pay cut. Most towns with good schools in Western, MA, VT, NH and Maine have an entry level price of $250-$300k.

Moving out of New England I would question the level of education my kids be exposed to, and paying for private school would wipe out the COL savings. Plus we would be traveling back to MA for our vacations to visit family.

Last edited by Boston_Burbs; 03-23-2017 at 07:39 AM..

Old 03-23-2017, 08:10 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,334,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyorkernomore View Post
I see so many threads about people complaining about living in boston. Its expensive, its depressing, the winter etc,

Why do you like boston? Would you ever leave?

I am a born and raised newyorker but planning on a move in the next year. Boston, specifically cohasset or hingham area has always been on my list. I love new england i love how proud people from boston are about where they come from and the beaches.
It is expensive, but depressing? https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...in-the-country

Old 03-23-2017, 10:12 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,116,959 times
I very much enjoy living in Boston. No plans to live anywhere else.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:30 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,315,579 times
Lived in Boston for a little bit when I was younger. I'm fine in Connecticut. Hartford is the 2nd city of New England in terms of the economy, jobs, and traffic. Overall it's much simpler. I would rather belly flop into a pool of shard glass than move back...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts