Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 10:32 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,324,502 times

Advertisements

I realize no one knows for sure but thought I'd ask for opinions. We were in Cohasset over easter and driving down Jerusalem rd and all over the area there were a LOT of homes for sale. I know it's spring...but if you were living in a place like Cohasset where would you be moving up to? Downsizing maybe? It just seemed really strange to see so many people selling and made us wonder if people were thinking this is as high as it's going to get, let's sell now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 02:50 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,142,393 times
My parents are selling for the reasons you suggest. They bought a smaller home for dirt cheap when the market was deflated and now plan to cash out of their primary residence while the market is hot and prices are up. They're not expecting a major 'crash', at least in the short term, but given their timeline selling now is the least risky option - especially when they're floating two homes.

As for a bubble ... I suspect only if society collapses or interest rates bump big time. People seem to forget that when homes were being slashed and burned in places like AZ, FL, MI, home prices in greater Boston merely slid sideways. Wealth is concentrating in the major metros, so I suspect it would take something more than a recession to kill this market.

This said, I wouldn't want to be caught buying property in places like Lowell, Nashua, Hudson, etc. right before a market dump. These places will take a beating, just as they did in '08.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:45 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Well how can everyone downsize? It's like when gas prices were high and you couldn't sell huge SUV's and a hybrid sold for more than blue book value.

Eh...Lowell made some significant strides.

Having said this I don't think there's a bubble with housing. Retail on the other hand is popping. We simply have way too much retail space in the USA. Having worked for a box store for 3.5 years the waste vs a online store is massive. I think there might be a restaurant one given the increases in minimum wage, health care costs, more people eating at home and services like blue apron. If they have a plan and willing to stick it out that's one thing. If it's just a hobby and they really don't know what they are doing that's something else.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:01 PM

209 posts, read 169,003 times
How about Salem?
Buying a 4 br 1 bath 1325 sq home on 5k sq lot.
Good enough bones. New water boiler/ furnace.
Will I lose or break even at 297k?

Old 04-18-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Oh, for sure. I lived through those strides, but I'd be really hesitant to drop 400K+ on a modest home in Belvedere when the schools remain 'meh' and access to 95/Boston becomes increasingly worse. Same for Nashua, but unlike Lowell, it's doesn't have UMass stifling it's downtown development.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:08 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
I think no. What everyone seems to forget is that from 2000 until now people were leaving their homes and going to florida or assisted living or 55+. So there was a glut of to too great homes. But now... it is getting to the point where there is no stock the old person moving out group has stabilized. Leaving little places to live.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:34 PM

810 posts, read 852,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Well how can everyone downsize? It's like when gas prices were high and you couldn't sell huge SUV's and a hybrid sold for more than blue book value.

Having said this I don't think there's a bubble with housing. Retail on the other hand is popping. We simply have way too much retail space in the USA. Having worked for a box store for 3.5 years the waste vs a online store is massive. I think there might be a restaurant one given the increases in minimum wage, health care costs, more people eating at home and services like blue apron. If they have a plan and willing to stick it out that's one thing. If it's just a hobby and they really don't know what they are doing that's something else.
And so many places have an online presence now. I do buy some online mostly from LL Bean. But still shop in an actual building for most stuff.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:53 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,913,006 times
What I am seeing now among my 30 "townie" peers is a generational wealth transfer. Parents are downsizing but carving off a portion of their proceeds to give to their kids to buy a place, adding an additional apartment to their home to live in, or sell their homes to their kids at a reduced rate.

Also there is the late 30s crowd that is leaving Boston where they were double income professionals for 10+ years who saw their condo go through insane appreciation with hefty down payments and high salaries.

But I look at the western part of the state where I grew up and the real estate is cheaper but not to the level of lost income and job security, at least in STEM fields. While the real estate is high in eastern MA I still think it is worth it for the high salary potential that exists in the Boston Metro.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:15 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,324,502 times
So what could this exodus in cohasset be? It really seemed odd that there were so many homes on the market...and i couldnt understand why so many people would want to leave such a beautiful place.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
So what could this exodus in cohasset be? It really seemed odd that there were so many homes on the market...and i couldnt understand why so many people would want to leave such a beautiful place.
While beautiful, it's not the easiest place to commute in and out of. Perhaps now that prices have exceeded 2005 highs, sellers are looking to relocate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts