Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2017, 07:56 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paigemadison View Post
Thanks, it's that we have been narrowing down to a neighborhood is Sutton now. But noticing how small the schools are, average class size 100, wondering if the town will feel too small? If the schools are truly comparable to Upton/Mendon (realizing they are ranked lower)?
Honestly, Nipmuc isn't THAT much larger than Sutton. Most of the neighboring towns have graduating classes in the low to mid hundreds, anyway. It's just attributable to the size of the town, not school quality. Don't overthink it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 07:44 PM

95 posts, read 206,615 times
I know this thread is a little old now... one last question.. would you say Grafton or Upton is better for young families? I know Upton schools rate higher, but it seems so rural, where Grafton seems to have more family neighborhoods - (could be just more family neighborhoods in our price range in Grafton). Just wondering if we buy a house in Upton that's not in a neighborhood, will we feel isolated? Not worried for my husband and I, but just want kids to have friends nearby/easy playdates, etc. Thank you!!

Old 09-06-2017, 03:33 AM

187 posts, read 217,232 times
I would pick Mendon out of the towns, better schools than Sutton. Still rural feel and more house for the money than Upton. Grafton is too close to Worcester for me.
What's the budget/how big a house do you want?
If you want to stay near Maynard, I'd pick Stow, Bolton, Lancaster, Berlin, Sterling area.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:24 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,957 times
Why no Hopedale? Great history and nice little central area near the pond. Nice old homes left over from every level at the mills - execs down to worker bees. Utopian paradise.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:35 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,137,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Why no Hopedale? Great history and nice little central area near the pond. Nice old homes left over from every level at the mills - execs down to worker bees. Utopian paradise.
...because OP can seemingly afford towns which better meet their metrics.

"school experiences, vibe of the area, do homes hold their value, etc."

Old 09-06-2017, 06:20 PM

Budget $500K - 3/4 bed. Don't want something that needs a lot of work. Primary priorities as Shrewsburried quoted above - schools, vibe of the area, homes hold their value. Not particularly searching for a rural town, just am willing to go rural for a nicer home, as long as the town is still a good family town, lots of kids, nice schools, etc. (I'm more suburban suited than rural, but our budget is limiting us for our exact dream scenario!)

Maynard is a unique town, it's cute and small town and I will miss a lot about it - it has an interesting mix of population - still a significant born & raised in Maynard group, then lots of young families who have moved in fairly recently, as well as a strong artists community. I don't have bad things to say about it, I just personally don't love the vibe, schools or housing stock available in our price range + very high taxes enough to buy here. And we can't afford to buy what we want in neighboring Acton/Sudbury/Concord - or even Stow unless we got lucky.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:30 PM

187 posts, read 217,232 times
I only mentioned Stow because I love the town, I live in a neighborhood setting (not much land). I thought you wanted rural but if you want suburban I would highly recommend the Harvard Acres neighborhood in Stow. The houses are mostly colonials, spilts, contemporary...every house is 4 bedrooms, 2.5-3 baths.
A colonial with a mud room sold in July for $509, and a spilt sold over the summer for $489. I'm not sure if taxes are higher than Maynard but it's worth looking into, the neighborhood really is great.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:27 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peabody99 View Post
I would pick Mendon out of the towns, better schools than Sutton. Still rural feel and more house for the money than Upton. Grafton is too close to Worcester for me.
What's the budget/how big a house do you want?
If you want to stay near Maynard, I'd pick Stow, Bolton, Lancaster, Berlin, Sterling area.
Mendon and Upton share the same schools.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:58 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,641,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paigemadison View Post
Maynard is a unique town, it's cute and small town and I will miss a lot about it - it has an interesting mix of population - still a significant born & raised in Maynard group, then lots of young families who have moved in fairly recently, as well as a strong artists community. I don't have bad things to say about it, I just personally don't love the vibe, schools or housing stock available in our price range + very high taxes enough to buy here. And we can't afford to buy what we want in neighboring Acton/Sudbury/Concord - or even Stow unless we got lucky.
I am curious, what don't you like about the vibe?

Old 09-07-2017, 07:28 PM

It's not just the "vibe", it's the combination of that and the housing available + high taxes - I shouldn't have included schools in that sentence because so far, I am very impressed with the elementary school. On the vibe... I guess I would characterize the town as being more on the crunchy/liberal/artsy side and it's just not really my style. That's a blanket statement and there are exceptions - the vibe is more of a secondary consideration, the primary one being the housing stock is unimpressive in our price range and because in addition to that I feel like it's not quite the right fit for us socially, there is little draw to stay - and while saying that, I also have to say, I will miss many things - the school, library, movie theater, downtown community events, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts