Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 05:55 PM

92 posts, read 131,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
In your "perfect world" at what age do we "move" these people off to the remote corners of New England?
Do whatever you want, live wherever you want.

Housing in MA is incredibly scarce. If all retirees sold in the next year, it would free up tons of housing.

And retirees don't spend as much or are as productive as prime-age workers (they're not supposed to, they're RETIRED, they already worked), you can look that 1 up yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 04:31 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I am visiting family in Andover. I am originally from the Boston area. I was looking at the real estate section of a local newspaper. Primarily what is saw were shi*box house selling for $500K to $600K.
EXampleS:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-00061?view=qv
Well it's a small house in one of the best towns in the state and far from a "sh&tbox." It's a little out of date but looks to have a good base for a renovation or addition that will add value.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:41 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I am visiting family in Andover. I am originally from the Boston area. I was looking at the real estate section of a local newspaper. Primarily what is saw were shi*box house selling for $500K to $600K.
EXampleS:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-00061?view=qv
Yep that’s why Mass is an insulting place to be alive. That’s the same house as it was 20-30 years ago, when a teacher making $55k would have been able to afford to buy it. Now its fate is a tear-down/rebuild or a highly paid contemporary professional who could expect a mansion in Atlanta overpaying for a wood-paneled ranch in Andover. The same teacher still makes that much because helping professions have stayed at 1990s salaries, but could never dream of owning an average outdated house like that in the suburbs anymore. **** this place!

Old 07-24-2018, 06:06 PM

13 posts, read 8,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

I have worked hard all the years I've lived here. I have patronized local businesses, paying my money which helps them pay their employees. I have paid my state income tax every year. I have paid rent which money also goes into the local economy. Through rent I am paying high school taxes, which do not go to educate my children because I don't have any. I have paid the state gas taxes which help maintain and build the roads you and I drive on. My utility bills help you and me have clean water, electricity, and so on.
Doesn't that describe pretty much everyone ? We all pay, rent, taxes, subsidize local businesses, buy gas and utilities. How's it different from everyone else?

Old 07-24-2018, 07:08 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
That’s the same house as it was 20-30 years ago, when a teacher making $55k would have been able to afford to buy it. Now its fate is a tear-down/rebuild or a highly paid contemporary professional who could expect a mansion in Atlanta overpaying for a wood-paneled ranch in Andover. The same teacher still makes that much because helping professions have stayed at 1990s salaries, but could never dream of owning an average outdated house like that in the suburbs anymore. **** this place!

There are some on this board who believe these lowly public servants to be yet overpaid.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:49 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
There are some on this board who believe these lowly public servants to be yet overpaid.
Overpaid, especially considering the unacceptable sewer quality of Waltham / Salem / Framingham schools. Unadulterated greed - surely Lexington, Lincoln, and Wellesley are the only places to sufficiently surround little Brody and Sophia with their fellow master race of high-performing biotech offspring who will spend their lives casually taking Cape / lake / ski houses for granted.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:13 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,233,403 times
Quote:
Yep that’s why Mass is an insulting place to be alive. That’s the same house as it was 20-30 years ago, when a teacher making $55k would have been able to afford to buy it. Now its fate is a tear-down/rebuild or a highly paid contemporary professional who could expect a mansion in Atlanta overpaying for a wood-paneled ranch in Andover. The same teacher still makes that much because helping professions have stayed at 1990s salaries, but could never dream of owning an average outdated house like that in the suburbs anymore. **** this place!
The average teacher in Andover makes just over 80k. Two of those salaries and you could easily afford that house.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Overpaid, especially considering the unacceptable sewer quality of Waltham / Salem / Framingham schools. Unadulterated greed - surely Lexington, Lincoln, and Wellesley are the only places to sufficiently surround little Brody and Sophia with their fellow master race of high-performing biotech offspring who will spend their lives casually taking Cape / lake / ski houses for granted.

That's the whole thing. You do what you must, to protect them from the degenerate society around them. Not careful, they will wind up with a PT fast food job to put gas in their 2004 Chevy (that is so, like, Worcester County!), and then attending one of those dreaded public universities (imagine the bad influences they must face there!).

Old 07-24-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
The average teacher in Andover makes just over 80k. Two of those salaries and you could easily afford that house.

Eh, that would put a couple like that over 3X their income. I suppose if you had a DINK couple that both taught in a town like Andover with several years behind them, AND had a healthy down payment, could make that work. Most middle-class families in MA do not gross $160k though, for sure.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:33 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC1203 View Post
Retirees just don't spend as much as workers besides on medical costs, and they aren't taxed nearly as much as workers because they don't make as much. Sure you can say they spend on XYZ, but less so than prime age workers.

And they're taking up prime real estate that could go to more productive people.

I'm not like advocating for them to move or anything, but in a perfect world they would all move to other parts of NE and the economy in the greater Boston area would be better for it. Land is finite.

In your perfect world, perhaps! I'm a retired person, I enjoy living in greater Boston; and do not plan on moving to Maine or Rhode Island just to make your life, or anyone else's life or home-buying experience, easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts