Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 10:27 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,218,947 times

Advertisements

I just went over some financial projections and it looks like I am on track to put as much as 20 percent down on a 400K house by January 2020. I know finding a house in either town for 400K is really pushing it and near impossible but I do see things pop up now and then.

As for me I work in Waltham, but am not married to my job. It’s a safe job where I make $85,000+ in a good year and a hair below $70,000 in a bad year. I’d eventually like to establish my own business and work from home/on my own hours, but am still a while off from that.

I’ve been researching for years now on this, but am still quite open and flexible to what town I settle in. I’m originally from Medford, which is well out of my price range, but Everett is more doable (if perhaps still not quite possible). Although it won’t be for long if the prices keep increasing there.

Other than Everett and Waltham, the other town I am considering is Framingham. I’ve even thought about Lowell since the area is improving and prices are reflecting that. But it’s so far away from everything else (family, work).

Right now I think my top choice would be Everett, but more realistically in terms of price I’m thinking Framingham. I’m open to suggestions, but am hoping to narrow my options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 10:30 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
I'm curious, why would you be inquiring about the cost of commercial real estate to lease in Providence if you are looking to buy in Everett?

Old 12-07-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I'm curious, why would you be inquiring about the cost of commercial real estate to lease in Providence if you are looking to buy in Everett?
Haha, that was inquiring to lease in Rhode Island overall rather than Providence. I was just curious about the ballpark leasing prices in Rhode Island, which in general is cheaper than MA. As I mentioned in that thread and the first post of this one, being my own boss is a long away if ever. Leasing retail is even further away. But it never hurts to have some knowledge on the topic.

Anyway, just looking through the Everett prices and yeah it does look pretty impossible. I might have to just focus on the Lowell area, which really isn’t ideal given the areas I’d like to be close to. Maybe I could get lucky with an underpriced listing in Framingham or prices will fall. But I certainly can’t bank on that.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:16 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
I usually watch north shore real estate passively just as a measure of monitoring trends for my own knowledge. Home do pop up for under or around $400K, but what sort of condition do you expect this house to be in? Something move-in ready that doesn't need anything? Probably not. But if you are looking for a fixer-upper type home, they do still pop up from time to time. I guess it all depends on your expectations.

Why Everett though? What draws you to that city?

Old 12-07-2018, 01:11 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,236,397 times
Everett to Waltham isn't any easier than Lowell to Waltham.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I usually watch north shore real estate passively just as a measure of monitoring trends for my own knowledge. Home do pop up for under or around $400K, but what sort of condition do you expect this house to be in? Something move-in ready that doesn't need anything? Probably not. But if you are looking for a fixer-upper type home, they do still pop up from time to time. I guess it all depends on your expectations.

Why Everett though? What draws you to that city?
From everything I’ve read Everett is the last city in the area that has the combination of being semi-affordable and fairly safe. There are some that fit one or the other, but around that location Everett is the only one left that fits both. Revere comes close, but I believe has a higher crime rate and less 3 bedroom houses that go up (not that Everett has many anyway). Plus, as I said I’m from Medford so I’m familiar with the town.

Anyway, property value shot up 14 percent there last year so it’s not going to be affordable for much longer.

Last edited by Japanfan1986; 12-07-2018 at 01:33 PM..

Old 12-07-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Everett to Waltham isn't any easier than Lowell to Waltham.
Yeah, but I have family and friends I visit around Everett all the time. In a way I’d rather be there than around the Waltham area since it would be much easier to work for a different site with the same company then it is to move everyone I know to where I live. With Lowell though I don’t really know anyone in the area. On the plus side there is a site my company has based near there (in Andover), but like I said I’d value being closer to friends and family than a job I don’t plan on doing forever. Plus, I am much more familiar with Everett and Waltham.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:18 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,800,939 times
6 homes to your liking in Everett.

Last edited by Yac; 11-20-2020 at 02:39 AM..

Old 12-07-2018, 09:01 PM

550 posts, read 681,514 times
I would look in Billerica or Tewksbury in that price range.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:16 AM

649 posts, read 817,507 times
Waltham is MUCH nicer than Everett but if your friends are in Everett and your life revolves around that rt1 zone, I would say Everett. I lived in on the Malden/Everett border and my SIL lived in Everett. We moved to Waltham and breathed a sigh of relief to be out of that congested/stressfull rt1 north/south zone. Waltham borders the bucolic towns of the Metro West, so it is much easier to get into nature and away from “cityness” in Waltham. Waltham itself has tons of parkspace and paths along the river. I suppose Everett’s proximity to the ocean may outweigh that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts