Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2019, 09:01 AM

11,076 posts, read 12,492,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
The proper right-wingers I know view woman more or less as property and/or, at a minimum, lesser than. They provide service; i.e., sex, child birth, child rearing, etc. Narrating Kraft as some hapless sexual deviant is very in line with this thinking, as it diminishes the real victim here - the woman enslaved providing him 'pleasure'.

Add to it his failure to own his actions ... even when video taped ... and, well, forgive me if I don't by the 'ignorance narrative'.
I don't know if that's "proper." I guess it's the difference between religious right and secular right maybe. I agree with you on the ignorance narrative thing though. I really don't buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 09:02 AM

23,738 posts, read 18,846,573 times
Quote:
Because she is choosing to diminish the suffering of woman at the hands of intelligent educated men as a non-issue. The desire for sex is a non-issue, but not the actions, and Kraft is not simply a victim of his sexual desires. It's an extremely oppressive ultra-conservative position to take and expresses little difference from female-backwards theocracies like Pakistan, Iran, SA, etc.

I know to conservative-minded folk this suggestion might seem a bit absurd, but to secular people interested in equality of rights, it's a bit egregious. Additionally, Kraft denies charges despite the police quite literally stating they have him on video, so he's already taken measures to erode his own morale standing. His actions, during and post are pathetic, as are his apologists.
Uh, this sort of male chauvinism I've never known either political camp to have a monopoly over it. The left has a long dishonorable list of their own, not to exclude our own beloved Kennedys.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:08 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,041,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Uh, this sort of male chauvinism I've never known either political camp to have a monopoly over it. The left has a long dishonorable list of their own, not to exclude our own beloved Kennedys.

True, and the so called "left" in our society is rather conservative. Which is a big part of the problem. We have far right, and center right, for the most part.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:13 AM

11,076 posts, read 12,492,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
True, and the so called "left" in our society is rather conservative. Which is a big part of the problem. We have far right, and center right, for the most part.
I see where you're coming from. I always think of it as "neoconservatives" and "neoliberals".

Old 02-26-2019, 09:16 AM

12,929 posts, read 22,099,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Yep, this is why I find it very naive to just think "hey poor old guy was just missing his wife and needed some relief." Of course there is something going on here. The cops thought so too.
Of course they knew what was going on there. We had some of this stuff going on relatively locally not all that long ago. Providence was semi-famous for Asian massage parlors that offered these types of services. In fact, it was legal there until 2009. This was during my college years, and I lifeguarded at a beach on the RI/MA line. The regulars (mostly old guys) would talk to us and each other and regularly joked about going to the massage parlors in Providence (wink wink, nod nod). Word of mouth was huge for business. So yeah, I find it pretty hard to believe that any of the men caught up in this didn't know what was happening.

Even if they didn't know trafficking was involved, do we really believe that anyone cared enough to do research beforehand? It's a don't ask, don't tell type of relationship. As long as any of those guys can reasonably say "I had no idea these women were trafficked!" That's all they need, and if they have that, they're not going to try and dig deeper.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
So you are implying that the "true left" (or those who pass whatever your litmus test is), are universally a bunch of equality/gentlemanly/goody-goody-two-shoes? Do you really want to go there??? Has absolutely nothing to do with politics.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:18 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,152,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I'm talking ideology, not party. I don't view someone like Bill Clinton through a secular progressive lens, despite party affiliations.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Of course they knew what was going on there. We had some of this stuff going on relatively locally not all that long ago. Providence was semi-famous for Asian massage parlors that offered these types of services. In fact, it was legal there until 2009. This was during my college years, and I lifeguarded at a beach on the RI/MA line. The regulars (mostly old guys) would talk to us and each other and regularly joked about going to the massage parlors in Providence (wink wink, nod nod). Word of mouth was huge for business. So yeah, I find it pretty hard to believe that any of the men caught up in this didn't know what was happening.

Even if they didn't know trafficking was involved, do we really believe that anyone cared enough to do research beforehand? It's a don't ask, don't tell type of relationship. As long as any of those guys can reasonably say "I had no idea these women were trafficked!" That's all they need, and if they have that, they're not going to try and dig deeper.
The "Quincy Massage" is fairly well known, although from what I recall most of those busted were totally consensual.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I'm talking ideology, not party. I don't view someone like Bill Clinton through a secular progressive lens, despite party affiliations.
Do I really need to give more examples?

Old 02-26-2019, 09:23 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,152,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I don't know if that's "proper." I guess it's the difference between religious right and secular right maybe. I agree with you on the ignorance narrative thing though. I really don't buy it.
Correct - I'm not talking party here, just pure ideology/theology. Painting Kraft as a victim is not a far in basic ideology from father's in Pakistan who choose first to kill their daughter over the perpetrator who raped them. It's a fundamental devaluing of female will and male responsibility. The latter is magnitudes more extreme, but the thinking which gets one there is shared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts