Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 1,635 times

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone who posted for all of the suggestions so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Unfortunately, I think you may have difficulty getting what you want. Mostly due to the 6 month lease.
This will be our fourth home we've rented in the last two years, and the 6 month lease definitely reduces the options.

On the upside, we've found that many of the corporate-run apartment complexes have accommodated 6 month leases. We lived in one of these apartments in the Phoenix area, though we almost went with a house that the owner agreed to rent for 6 months when I offered her more in monthly rent than the asking price (rents were pretty low in that exurb, so it wasn't really a stretch).

In Traverse City, Michigan, we took over someone's lease for 5 months, with the landlord's approval.

In the Atlanta area, we're renting a house in a "top school district" family neighborhood from an owner who didn't get his house in rentable condition during the prime summertime family moving season and thus hadn't had much interest in it when we inquired; he realized we'd be moving out right about time to put it on the market this summer. So, it's been a little bit of everything.

Again, thanks for the suggestions so far, and if anyone has any others, please send them along!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 572 times
I'd recommend checking out Amesbury/Newburyport area. You have easy access to both route 95 and 495. Both towns are good sized communities with walkable downtowns and lots of great events and restaurants. Easy access to beaches in Maine, New Hampshire, and Plum Island. You can get to Boston or Portland in under an hour off peak travel time. Apartment complexes like The Heights in Amesbury may be a good place to check with for a short term lease (Amesbury Apartments for Rent | The Heights Amesbury). Best of luck!

Old 03-15-2019, 12:23 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
For a 6 month May to October rental, your best bet is a ski resort where a ton of housing units sit mostly empty in the summer. Loon/Waterville Valley is 2 hours of easy interstate highway drive to Boston. Other than fall foliage season in October, it's a buyers market for a 6 month seasonal rental. A garage with plug-in electric might be more difficult to track down but you'll have your pick of a whole spectrum of vacation home options with most handled by property manager/rental agencies who should have a ton of inventory.

I imagine there are also beach-oriented seasonal rentals where a 6 month rental is kind of expected. Those are likely to be mostly taken for the summer in mid-March.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:25 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
I was going to say Amesbury because for a small town, there are a lot of apartment complexes. But also Northampton or the general area because you might get a six month lease while the students are gone. The rents are inflated due to students but they leave around May and come back in September. You might also get something starting in the summer and ending with the end of the first semester/December. It's 2 hours from Boston and there's a lot going on.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:30 PM

137 posts, read 150,025 times
I would suggest
1. Portsmouth NH/Southern ME towns
2. Providence RI (Highly suggest because there is a ton to do and not too far from Boston)
Then the following-
3. Portland ME
4. Brattleboro VT
5. Northampton MA
6. Mystic CT
7. Northshore MA (Essex, Ipswich, Newburyport, Salem, Gloucester area)-highly recommend this area, my husband and I wanted to live here but commutes would have been too far.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:58 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,263,085 times
Have to agree with the Northampton idea, because ---- I live there! Feel free to ask me specific questions if it becomes a top choice.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:43 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,286,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huff100 View Post
I would suggest
1. Portsmouth NH/Southern ME towns
2. Providence RI (Highly suggest because there is a ton to do and not too far from Boston)
Then the following-
3. Portland ME
4. Brattleboro VT
5. Northampton MA
6. Mystic CT
7. Northshore MA (Essex, Ipswich, Newburyport, Salem, Gloucester area)-highly recommend this area, my husband and I wanted to live here but commutes would have been too far.
Portsmouth would be great, but it's going to be expensive.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:07 AM

21,649 posts, read 12,800,939 times
I’d say Northampton Amherst or Worcester.

Worcester puts you right between Hartford Boston and Providence so you can get a feel for MA CT and RI, it’s a little off major free ways but it’s pretty close. And your not far from Northern New England at all.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:20 PM

325 posts, read 925,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I’d say Northampton Amherst or Worcester.

Worcester puts you right between Hartford Boston and Providence so you can get a feel for MA CT and RI, it’s a little off major free ways but it’s pretty close. And your not far from Northern New England at all.
Of all the places to sample in New England, I don't think Worcester should be on the short list.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:50 PM

17,772 posts, read 9,215,344 times
I still don't understand why a couple with 2 cats needs 2-3 bedrooms. And when trying to stay under 2k, it really makes no sense. Ditto with the garage.

This area is more expensive than most other parts of the country. One way or another, the OP will need to sacrifice something. If he insists on 2-3 beds with a garage, he won't be in a desirable area.

A 1 (or maybe 2) bed apartment would open up so many options. He will need to decide what's more important - a desirable location or unnecessary bedrooms and a garage.

Having said that, I would suggest that the OP look into Bristol, RI. It's a nice town - especially in the summer. It's also home to the oldest and largest 4th of July parade in the country. It's halfway between Providence and Newport, and approximately 30 minutes to either (without traffic). Boston is an easy trip at about 1 hour 30 minutes. Cape Cod is relatively close also. And NYC is within 4 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts