Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 04:29 PM

3 posts, read 1,635 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to the New England area from May-October 2019. This is a temporary stay that is part of a long term travel journey around the U.S. We will be traveling around much of the upper Northeast during the months we are there.

We have some nice-to-haves, but not many must-haves, which makes it harder to narrow down a location. We have done some research on the City-Data forums and think that we have it "narrowed down" (ha) to Massachusetts and the adjacent parts of New Hampshire, Connecticut, and Rhode Island, but we could really use some help narrowing further to identify the best cities and towns to focus on.

Here are our details:

We are a married couple in our late 30's and early 40's, with no kids and two cats. We are temporarily retired, so commuting distance is not a concern. However, we would like to be within roughly 2 (non-commute) hours of Boston to be able to take day trips there.

We will be doing a lot of car travel throughout the Northeast region, so we shouldn't be too far away from a major freeway.

We don't need true urban living, but would prefer not to live in a totally rural area either. A reasonably-priced small-to-midsize city or unique suburb is fine with us. Like most people, we'd prefer to live in a city/town or suburb that has a reasonable availability of activities, shops, and independent restaurants.

We enjoy outdoor activities like hiking, so proximity to parks and other natural landmarks is a bonus, as is an area that is scenically beautiful--we want to enjoy spending time in our own city, taking walks, etc. At least moderate-speed internet (i.e. DSL) is a must.

We're looking to stay under $2000/month for rent and associated fees for 2-3 bedrooms. We'd be fine with an apartment, single family home, or a multi-unit like a duplex, though we have an electric car, so we also need a place to charge it, ideally in a private garage (we can use a wall outlet).

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 04:40 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,236,397 times
Southern Maine might be good for you. Portland is a great mid sized city, if you can get something for that price. Not cheap but a lot cheaper than Boston and surrounding suburbs.

You could take a look at some Portland suburbs too. Boston is about 2 hours by car with no traffic.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:55 PM

17,771 posts, read 9,215,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User159 View Post
We are a married couple in our late 30's and early 40's, with no kids and two cats.
Quote:
We're looking to stay under $2000/month for rent and associated fees for 2-3 bedrooms.
Why do you need 2-3 bedrooms? For your feline family members?

Old 03-12-2019, 06:15 PM

17,771 posts, read 9,215,344 times
Quote:
My wife and I are moving to the New England area from May-October 2019. This is a temporary stay that is part of a long term travel journey around the U.S. We will be traveling around much of the upper Northeast during the months we are there.
I'd say your biggest obstacle will be a 6 month lease. And then you need pet-friendly.

In addition to those necessary things, you want 2-3 bedrooms and a garage. And for under 2k a month.

Unfortunately, I think you may have difficulty getting what you want. Mostly due to the 6 month lease.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:39 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,775,599 times
Sounds like the O.P. needs to rent a summer home albeit for a slightly longer stay. I suggest looking in Northern New England (Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont). I'm pretty sure some summer home landlords would be willing to allow a six month stay as opposed to a 2-3 month stay. As for electric charging stations, they're pretty much everywhere now but best better to find them in urban areas.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:03 AM

325 posts, read 925,565 times
Rather than a "placeless" suburb, I'd suggest looking at Northampton, MA, Portsmouth, NH, Brattleboro, VT or Keene, NH as vibrant interesting communities which are somewhat centrally located and reasonably affordable (maybe Portsmouth less so). I'm partial to Northampton, which is a cultural destination surrounded by a scenic landscape.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:34 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,729,725 times
I was also going to suggest Northampton. Keene, NH is an intriguing suggestion, too.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:36 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
I don't get the appeal of Keene, at all, but most of my exposure was limited to some of those crazy Halloween Festivals. The rest of the list I cosign, and at Portland ME.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:49 AM

875 posts, read 665,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I'd say your biggest obstacle will be a 6 month lease. And then you need pet-friendly.

In addition to those necessary things, you want 2-3 bedrooms and a garage. And for under 2k a month.

Unfortunately, I think you may have difficulty getting what you want. Mostly due to the 6 month lease.
Agreed - to find what you want you will likely have to get off the beaten track and far away from any tourist areas - peak renting season is June to September.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:20 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,286,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmass View Post
Rather than a "placeless" suburb, I'd suggest looking at Northampton, MA, Portsmouth, NH, Brattleboro, VT or Keene, NH as vibrant interesting communities which are somewhat centrally located and reasonably affordable (maybe Portsmouth less so). I'm partial to Northampton, which is a cultural destination surrounded by a scenic landscape.
And in Northampton, MA or Keene, NH for that for that matter, they may be able to jump on an apartment being vacated as the local colleges break for the Summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts