Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 07:20 AM

663 posts, read 1,864,064 times

Advertisements

Massachusetts is a middle class state. Greater Boston / E. Mass. is solidly middle class and that is the general feel of the area, perhaps with a blue-collar tinge. Yet the housing prices aren’t aligned with that reality. The only thing keeping many of the people here are their highly specialized jobs in certain industries which are heavily concentrated here. So to the OP - you should certainly move here and join the crowd if this is where the best job opportunities are in his field. And look for a house in a Billerica or Tewksbury, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 07:28 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
Massachusetts is a middle class state. Greater Boston / E. Mass. is solidly middle class and that is the general feel of the area, perhaps with a blue-collar tinge. Yet the housing prices aren’t aligned with that reality. The only thing keeping many of the people here are their highly specialized jobs in certain industries which are heavily concentrated here. So to the OP - you should certainly move here and join the crowd if this is where the best job opportunities are in his field. And look for a house in a Billerica or Tewksbury, etc.

This is not true. You dont get a middle class vibe in boston at all compared to other cities
.You're either a yup or in section 8 housing. Not a lot in between. Middle class has been fleeing for a long time.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:47 AM

7,342 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This is not true. You dont get a middle class vibe in boston at all compared to other cities
.You're either a yup or in section 8 housing. Not a lot in between. Middle class has been fleeing for a long time.
Agreed.

We moved from Westwood, MA to Westchester, NY. A decade ago, we were shocked at how much more expensive Westchester was. Now I look at Zillow and I am shocked at how much our old neighborhood has risen in price. I doubt we could afford to buy our old house back.

Between Westwood and Boston, there aren't any middle class, nice suburban areas.

I wouldn't trade the time I spent at home with my children for anything in this world. Don't get a job because juggling sick children with no extended family support doesn't work.

OP, beware that snow and ice will be a factor in your husband's commuting.

SERIOUS QUESTION: why doesn't your husband ask his new employer where his co-workers live? Can they help him find a realtor? Why don't you visit the area before you decide whether or not to move? Until you are physically in these neighborhoods, you can't decide. Not everything can be done over the internet.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 09-09-2019 at 07:56 AM..

Old 09-09-2019, 07:50 AM

4,627 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
God these responses are making me feel like it’s not worth even considering unless he’s making $200,000... I’m pretty deflated looking at all this.. this is a 90% raise for my husband but honestly doesn’t seem worth it. Yah we live in a really cheap area of the country and live comfortably in a 2,000 sqft 3/2 on only $50k. On the flip side we are also away from family and wanted better for our daughter than what the Bible Belt anti-progressive pro-religion everywhere and in everything has to offer.

I’ve seen other posts and people are telling people they can’t afford to live in/around Boston on a $750,000 housing budget and Im starting to think there’s just a lot of negativity on here too. I’ve seen homes in north shore for way less than that and people telling the best they’ll ever get is a condo.. so I’m not sure what to think of opinions on here. While I’m trying to absorb them all I suppose some I have to take with a grain of salt.
Take every single thing you read here with a big ole grain of salt. The regular posters here are out of touch with 75% of the eastern and central mass population.
They always say you should never think of moving here unless your combined income is well above $150k and can afford a million dollar house.

Simple fact is that million of people live in eastern and central mass on much less than that. You can rent in a lesser town in metrowest and be very happy and not one step from ruin. Rents have gotten insane in the last few years, but you can still find a 2b/1b apartment in Framingham or Ashland for under $2k. I know someone who rents a 2b apartment walking distance to Natick Center MBTA stop for $1600. Salem maybe, but it's a bad commute IMHO.

A 100% raise is nothing to scoff at!

Old 09-09-2019, 07:51 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,554 times
OP, don't feel deflated...people here are crazy.

You're going from $50k income to $110k income. Yes there's going to be some changes in quality of life but you'll figure it out (and you seem to know what to expect). Your housing costs are not going to increase by $60k/year. Ok ok, it's less than a $60k difference if you account for taxes, maybe it's closer to $50k/year.

I bet you'll pay off the MBA debt faster living here than in NC.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:09 AM

663 posts, read 1,864,064 times
Quote:
So what do you consider Burlington, Woburn, Reading, Wakefield, Wilmington, Chelmsford, Natick etc. etc. ? They are solidly middle class communities with definite blue collar attributes. The home prices in these towns would suggest otherwise however ... until one sets foot in these towns.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:15 AM

880 posts, read 819,497 times
Also consider that living near Boston also opens up more career opportunities for higher wages in the future. Dont focus too much on what you can afford today unless you strictly only want 9-5.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:31 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Sweetbottoms

Maybe it is time to put the nippers in public school and you go to work. His $100K and your $50K will make life comfortable.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:41 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
the VAST majority of Essex County survives on well under 110k. You're fine. Come on up.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:42 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Boston and MA are two different things though. Boston also has a lot of middle class feeling areas. Albeit with poor quality housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts