Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 08:24 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times

Advertisements

Moving for family is never a bad idea. If you really don't like your current place and you have good reason to relocate (i.e. more than just some superficial vague notion about how much better other places must be) then I think you should just do it and worry about the money later (within reason).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 08:24 AM

7,342 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Since the only thing people on this forum care about is public schools, Dedham is usually discounted from the get go and West Roxbury and Roslindale being part of BPS are deemed a dumpster fire. Needham is the only place on your list that is considered inhabitable by people with kids.
There are two issues.

1) The medium income statistic is not helpful.

Yes, many people make less than $100,000 or even $80,000. HOWEVER, these people brought their houses twenty years ago, when home prices were $200,000, not the present inflated price of $600,000. A $200,000 home is manageable on a $80,000 salary whereas the $600,000 is manageable on a $200,000 salary.

Also, the statistic also averages in retired people living on social security and a pension with their houses paid off.

There are online mortgage calculators which are much better at determining whether a house is affordable than the medium income statistics.

2) I love Needham, and Dm84 is correct that is it is the only place considered inhabitable on that list. Dedham and Norword used to be a real "townie" towns. They are not welcoming or warm places to relocate to from out of state. Frankly, I can't imagine they have changed much.

I used to purchase school uniforms at JB Pride Uniforms in West Roxbury. It is pretty urban. Not traditional what someone would think of as middle class.

However, if they OP is a hipster type. She might like West Roxbury. However, crime in West Roxbury and Stoughton might not be any better than where she lives now.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 09-10-2019 at 09:13 AM..

Old 09-10-2019, 08:39 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Could you survive on $100k/year? Sure, plenty of people do. But that's all they can do. You'll always be one step away from financial ruin.

No way in hell I'd move to MA for $100k/year with a family. It's just too expensive now.

Thissssssssss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
There are two issues.

Yes, many people make less than $100,000 or even $80,000. HOWEVER, these people brought their houses twenty years ago, when home prices were $200,000, not the present inflated price of $600,000. A $200,000 home is manageable on a $80,000 salary whereas the $600,000 is manageable on a $200,000
Yep.

As a Bostonian, would I say you could move? Yes. Would I in your circumstance? No.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:50 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
There are two issues.

Yes, many people make less than $100,000 or even $80,000. HOWEVER, these people brought their houses twenty years ago, when home prices were $200,000, not the present inflated price of $600,000. A $200,000 home is manageable on a $80,000 salary whereas the $600,000 is manageable on a $200,000 salary.

Also, the statistic also averages in retired people living on social security and a pension with their houses paid off.

There are online mortgage calculators which are much better at determining whether a house is affordable than the medium income statistics.

2) I love Needham, and Dm84 is correct that is it is the only place considered inhabitable on that list. Dedham and Norword used to be a real "townie" towns. They are not welcoming or warm places to relocate to from out of state. Frankly, I can't imagine they have changed much.

I used to purchase school uniforms at JB Pride Uniforms in West Roxbury. It is pretty urban. Not traditional what someone would think of as middle class.

However, if they OP is a hipster type. She might like West Roxbury. However, crime in West Roxbury and Stoughton might not be any better than where she lives now.
West Roxbury is a somewhat suburban-looking borough that's still within Boston city limits. It's not an ultra-urbanesque area, at all..lots of two-families and ranch homes, not triple deckers...

Old 09-10-2019, 12:13 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
West Roxbury is a somewhat suburban-looking borough that's still within Boston city limits. It's not an ultra-urbanesque area, at all..lots of two-families and ranch homes, not triple deckers...
the area he was talking about has a good number of triple deckers and looks solidly urban. good portions of WR do. On the other side of Centre Street from JB Pride is VERY suburban and looks pretty upscale albeit with small lots.

WR has a decent amount of variety

Old 09-10-2019, 12:57 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
Sure you can do it. Just realize you may find that a second income- even part time work might be necessary if you want any extras. That said, IMO many families- especially 2 income households, will categorize certain services, experiences and stuff as needs and a sacrifice to go without that a SAHM who is committed to not outsourcing their children's upbringing would consider a luxury or more of a want that they are willing to do without if it enables them to be home with their kids.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:46 PM

105 posts, read 71,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Correct, so when we moved here 2 1/2 years ago it wasn't bad... within those years we've been broken into 4 times. We don't live in some crummy run down town and we are literally so far from the city we are two stop lights from being outside the limits. We live in an HOA to boot. The crime has risen drastically in Charlotte and its the worst its been since the early 90's. I think some people are getting the impression that we live in a crime infested area but we actually don't at all. Its nearly all HOA neighborhoods and nicely maintained roads etc etc in a very large upgraded townhome with a lot of community ammenties.. the crime filters in from surrounding areas because of this..

It also doesn't help we are atheists and religion is VERY prominent here. Homeschooling is difficult as most are religious but also NC is 45th in education nationally so public school is not an option. My sister sends her kids to PS and she is NOT happy with the quality and she lives in a pretty uppity area. I'll never forget when we first moved here someone asked me what church we went to (standard greeting for some reason) and I said we don't practice religion..he told me "people in these parts are godly folks so I better get myself right with that and find a good church".....

Also, my husbands grandmother has terminal brain cancer (the type John McCain had) and so we'd like to be nearer to her if possible for whatever time she has left so our daughter can know her better. There are a lot of factors at play for us right now so this is all difficult to try and shuffle through to make the right decision. We are familiar with the North Shore area as we've visited it a lot, especially when we lived in NH. We are less familiar with all the other areas but if the decision is made we'll be sure to get a realtor to help us out.
Have you considered Raleigh? A much better part of NC than Charlotte, but still a much lower CoL than Boston. Wake County schools are pretty solid, and on $100k/yr, you're not getting into the "Elite" schools that pull up the Boston averages.

Also, don't consult a realtor. They'll pressure you to buy something suboptimal. Rent for at least 6 months when you first move here, if you do. Honestly, consider renting for longer until he's settled in the job. By all accounts, we're at or very near the peak of the market for this cycle. Would be terrible if we fall into a recession and you're immediately underwater.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:48 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Can you survive in Boston area under $100K with a family? Of course you can. Plenty of people do.

I know quite a few people who do it. I know a family of 6 that bought a home inside 495 on a single income right around $100K.

However, I also see the stress in their life because of it. Always living on the edge, trying to save money and an unexpected expense wipes out months of saving. Lots of family drama over money. Arguing over purchases the other shouldn't have made, etc etc.

I personally wouldn't do it. Go live somewhere where your dollar gets you much more bang for the buck. Enjoy life, don't stress out over money for decades...it's not worth it

Old 09-10-2019, 07:08 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Can you survive in Boston area under $100K with a family? Of course you can. Plenty of people do.

I know quite a few people who do it. I know a family of 6 that bought a home inside 495 on a single income right around $100K.

However, I also see the stress in their life because of it. Always living on the edge, trying to save money and an unexpected expense wipes out months of saving. Lots of family drama over money. Arguing over purchases the other shouldn't have made, etc etc.

I personally wouldn't do it. Go live somewhere where your dollar gets you much more bang for the buck. Enjoy life, don't stress out over money for decades...it's not worth it
They are already living in a place like that, but the job only pays 50k. The job in Boston is 110k.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:38 PM

105 posts, read 71,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
They are already living in a place like that, but the job only pays 50k. The job in Boston is 110k.
I have a very hard time believing someone can get a $110k job in Boston, but can’t get above $50k in Charlotte. They should easily be able to get at least $75-$80k, if not closer to $90k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts