Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 10:40 AM

113 posts, read 77,423 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody! Let me set the stage: our employment situations have changed so one is now in Worcester (Greendale area) and the other is in Framingham (route 9). We are looking for 2-3 bedrooms, 1.5-2 baths, in a residential/quiet area, fenced in yard and garage would be nice but not necessary. Did I say quiet? Looking for roughly 1200 SF or larger. We can do some small cosmetic improvements (floors, paint, etc.) but would not want to take on larger projects like bath or kitchen remodels, etc. Budget is up to $400k. Any thoughts/suggestions? Looking for best value for the money, not concerned about being in the right/best zip code.

Looking forward to your comments! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 10:57 AM

10,014 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Grafton?

Nice you don't have to deal with the Providence commute anymore.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:26 AM

Grafton is on the list for sure, depending upon the area. I've found areas close to the turnpike are kind of loud. Town green area is pretty nice.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:32 PM

92 posts, read 81,940 times
Mendon and Upton would both satisfy your quiet requirement, that's for sure! The tough part will be finding something under $400,000 that doesn't need some (or a lot of) work.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:06 PM

787 posts, read 780,616 times
I know this doesn't check some of the boxes, but it's well within your budget:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-92289?view=qv

Nice yard and good access to route 9 too.

You will get more for your money in Grafton and Upton though. Do you have children?

Here's one just at the top of your budget:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-00828?view=qv

Last edited by Louisville Slugger; 09-18-2019 at 01:17 PM..

Old 09-18-2019, 04:08 PM

4,625 posts, read 4,892,936 times
Northborough and Westborough.
Berlin isn't too bad a commute into Framingham. Not a lot of stuff for sale cause it's such a small town.

Boylston maybe. Not a great Framingham commute though. Hit's the rest of the boxes though. And a REAL easy commute to Greendale

Old 09-18-2019, 07:01 PM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
When making this decision, it's important to consider the traffic on both Rte. 9 and the Mass. Pike. For that reason, it might make sense to look in Marlborough or Hudson (and based on your posts that might be more up your alley than most other suggestions so far). From there, you have several back road options to Framingham, and to Worcester it's an easy straight shot down 290. Hudson has higher taxes than Marlborough, but is a far nicer town imho. Taxes are a little on the high side though. Marlborough has plenty of nicer neighborhoods as well, although the DT and vicinity is a little Milford"ish" (with a little more vibrancy though).

Northborough, Westboro, Boylston and Berlin will all be tough on that budget. Shrewsbury might work, but then again that will be a rougher commute to Framingham.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:51 PM

Anybody here have much experience with Hudson/Marlborough? I've been to Medusa a couple of times and another smaller brewery nearby, but that's about the extent of my interaction with this area ...

Old 09-18-2019, 08:12 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,084,365 times
I would consider Auburn. I know it's not between Worcester & Framingham, but it has a Mass Pike exit ramp right there. A little further west. A little bit more house for your money. Hudson or Marlborough means a trip down 495 to the pike.

Also throwing out there for consideration : Millbury. It does fit the requirements of between Worcester and Framingham.

Good luck!

Old 09-19-2019, 08:43 AM

965 posts, read 723,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Northborough and Westborough.
Berlin isn't too bad a commute into Framingham. Not a lot of stuff for sale cause it's such a small town.

Boylston maybe. Not a great Framingham commute though. Hit's the rest of the boxes though. And a REAL easy commute to Greendale
I'll second Northboro or Westboro (I grew up in Northboro). They are dead in-between Worcester and Framingham with easy commutes to both, as well as top-rated schools. Southboro is also great but will likely be out of the budget. Of the two, Northboro feels slightly sleepier (mostly on the northside, which is large houses on large, wooded lots) as Route 9 only cuts through a small corner, although that corner now has a Wegmans. You can add Shrewsbury in as well, but it would be slight;y farther from Framingham.

Not sure what the market is like these days, but at least in Northboro you could get a small'ish post-war cape on the south-side of town (i.e. easier commute to Framingham) for close to ~$400 or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts