Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 08:34 AM

1,362 posts, read 875,318 times

Advertisements

Infrastructure? We don't have money for that. They'll have to collapse first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 12:53 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,263,085 times
The Coolidge Bridge (Hadley/Northampton) is now under construction again, in that they are creating a roundabout on the Northampton side. We locals are none too happy. However, I AM in support of the two new Cape bridges, if indeed they do time the work well.

Old 10-06-2019, 01:48 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,823,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I'll believe it when I see it.
You want to wait 41 years to prove a point?

75,000 by 2060. 42% decline
http://berkshireplanning.org/images/...nds_140909.pdf

The birthrate isn't there and neither is immigration.

Old 10-06-2019, 02:56 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

Who would want to live year round in the freezing cold Berkshires? I think it will remain something like the cold and desolate, partly rundown parts of NH.

The Cape--maybe lower income type people like the type who used to live at the Cape will finally be able to move back. They wouldn't need Boston-type jobs anyway. They would own the seasonal cottages and work in the food places and motels. Although, you'd need the old Cape Codder types to really make it look and feel like the Cape. I don't think immigrants from other countries would "get" it.

Old 10-06-2019, 03:36 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
I live on the Cape and the bridges are a problem. It is a shame they can't hang another lane off the side of the bridges cantilever style which would create a fifth lane to be used on a Friday night when people are coming on and Sunday night when people are heading off. It would be like the zipper lane into Boston. But if there were 3 lanes on the bridge there are still only 2 lanes on either side.

The Sagamore gets backed up more than the Bourne bridge due to so many vehicles heading off on RT 6. Many of the cars getting to the Sagamore actually get off at exit 1 to travel down the canal to Bourne heading for points South and West. I would propose a bypass road that skirts the edge of the air base from say exit 3 on the Cape and brings people directly to the Bourne bridge. It would alleviate traffic on RT6.

Another option if they do build new bridges is to lower them. When you spend time at the canal is it rare to see a large ship that requires the clearance the bridges give. Large ships have the technology to go around the Cape and avoid the ledges and sandbars. A lower bridge would mean less of an approach angle which is an issue now and lower replacement costs.

Another option would be to fill the canal in creating parks, land for housing, fishing areas and a marina at both ends.

Just some ideas.

Old 10-06-2019, 03:54 PM

2,354 posts, read 1,785,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I would propose a bypass road that skirts the edge of the air base from say exit 3 on the Cape and brings people directly to the Bourne bridge. It would alleviate traffic on RT6.
There really isn't room for anything like that if you look at the map. The base extends almost all the way to Route 6.

Old 10-06-2019, 04:31 PM

23,616 posts, read 18,740,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

Those would be based on current trends, not future trends which of course cannot be predicted.

Point is a LOT can change in 41 years. I predict the Cape will gradually decline for a few more years, then bottom out or even start growing again eventually. It's valuable, desirable real estate. People will always WANT to be there.

As far as the Berkshires, not familiar enough with to really comment but I imagine likewise as the world gets smaller and smaller it will hold its appeal to enough people. And UNLIKE the Cape, there is PLENTY of land out there to develop no?

Just not buying it, sorry.

Last edited by massnative71; 10-06-2019 at 04:43 PM..

Old 10-06-2019, 05:21 PM

10,031 posts, read 15,679,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I live on the Cape and the bridges are a problem. It is a shame they can't hang another lane off the side of the bridges cantilever style which would create a fifth lane to be used on a Friday night when people are coming on and Sunday night when people are heading off. It would be like the zipper lane into Boston. But if there were 3 lanes on the bridge there are still only 2 lanes on either side.

The Sagamore gets backed up more than the Bourne bridge due to so many vehicles heading off on RT 6. Many of the cars getting to the Sagamore actually get off at exit 1 to travel down the canal to Bourne heading for points South and West. I would propose a bypass road that skirts the edge of the air base from say exit 3 on the Cape and brings people directly to the Bourne bridge. It would alleviate traffic on RT6.

Another option if they do build new bridges is to lower them. When you spend time at the canal is it rare to see a large ship that requires the clearance the bridges give. Large ships have the technology to go around the Cape and avoid the ledges and sandbars. A lower bridge would mean less of an approach angle which is an issue now and lower replacement costs.

Another option would be to fill the canal in creating parks, land for housing, fishing areas and a marina at both ends.

Just some ideas.
I have Gephyrophobia. It's a fear of bridges, high ones, specifically, so I love your ideas. Especially filling in the canal. Even a drawbridge would work, LOL.

Old 10-06-2019, 05:35 PM

23,616 posts, read 18,740,326 times
Filling in the canal. Seriously folks???

Old 10-06-2019, 11:08 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,738,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Who would want to live year round in the freezing cold Berkshires? I think it will remain something like the cold and desolate, partly rundown parts of NH.

The Cape--maybe lower income type people like the type who used to live at the Cape will finally be able to move back. They wouldn't need Boston-type jobs anyway. They would own the seasonal cottages and work in the food places and motels. Although, you'd need the old Cape Codder types to really make it look and feel like the Cape. I don't think immigrants from other countries would "get" it.
I grew up in the Berkshires. Now that I'm grown I feel like it's a good place to raise a family. Cost of living is so cheap compared to eastern MA and it's not like winters here are any better. The biggest thing I notice and appreciate when I go back to visit is that there's no traffic, kids can safely play on the street and there are many nice woods, trails, hills and ponds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts