Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 10:55 AM

636 posts, read 706,833 times

Advertisements

As a very happy ex Massachusetts resident, i went to Massachusetts for Thanksgiving and today i was just reflecting on the conversations.

All the friends and family at the Thanksgiving dinner from all over Massachusetts;the towns, Boston, The Cape, etc., were all saying the same thing at the dinner table, they all want 'to move out of Massachusetts' but not sure where. They were in panic mode about moving. Like a bunch of rabid foxes. At one point, i thought the turkey was going to stand up and say they want to move out too.

I was like a hero at Thanksgiving this year because i did move out.
To be frank, it is not all roses and flowers when you move to another state--but it is still better than the rapidly urbanizing, 2 hours to travel anywhere, angry horn tooting,crowded roads,and wacky Democrats of Massachusetts

Old 12-21-2019, 11:14 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,553,546 times
I would stay here if it wasn't for the insane cost of housing and the fact that I just don't think being elderly in a place that can have 36 in snow storms and power outages is smart.

Old 12-21-2019, 11:19 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,649,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I would stay here if it wasn't for the insane cost of housing and the fact that I just don't think being elderly in a place that can have 36 in snow storms and power outages is smart.
Much better services for seniors than many areas though

Old 12-21-2019, 12:18 PM

65 posts, read 58,247 times
People say they want to leave every winter. They rarely do.

Old 12-21-2019, 12:23 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,024,415 times
Pot!!

Old 12-21-2019, 05:08 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,433,571 times
Wait, wror complains about marijuana laws and all sorts of other things and he doesn't even live here?

Old 12-21-2019, 06:40 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Wait, wror complains about marijuana laws and all sorts of other things and he doesn't even live here?
He moved when the stores started opening.

Old 12-21-2019, 09:13 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,728,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Lots of places *can* get 36 inch snowstorms. I wouldn't say we get them all the time.

The alternative is someplace like Florida where you can die from the damn heat and humidity. They also have lots of bugs and snakes. And because no one wants to pay any taxes there are few services for seniors.

I see what my grandmother did as preferable, by far, to what my in-laws did. My grandmother lived in the Chicago area her whole life. She eventually sold her home and moved into a condominium in a unit in the downtown area of the town where she lived. This building had an indoor parking garage with an elevator into the building. It had a beauty parlor and some shops and restaurants on the first floor of the building. And there were many restaurants, shops, a bakery, and a grocery store within a short walking distance. If it was snowy and icy, she didn't even have to leave her building if she didn't want to -- she could go to the places in her building or have food delivered.

My in-laws, however, decided to move to Florida. They live in an enormous development, where it takes 15 minutes just to get out of the housing development. Then, once you're out of the housing development, it takes another 15 minutes to get to anything -- a gas station, a grocery store, any shops or restaurants. There is nothing that delivers. There's no ice, but it is hot and humid for half the year. Oh, and because lots of seniors live in the town, they don't want to pay anything for the schools, so they all suck. No one who is able to leave stays.

Old 12-21-2019, 10:19 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Lots of places *can* get 36 inch snowstorms. I wouldn't say we get them all the time.

The alternative is someplace like Florida where you can die from the damn heat and humidity. They also have lots of bugs and snakes. And because no one wants to pay any taxes there are few services for seniors.

I see what my grandmother did as preferable, by far, to what my in-laws did. My grandmother lived in the Chicago area her whole life. She eventually sold her home and moved into a condominium in a unit in the downtown area of the town where she lived. This building had an indoor parking garage with an elevator into the building. It had a beauty parlor and some shops and restaurants on the first floor of the building. And there were many restaurants, shops, a bakery, and a grocery store within a short walking distance. If it was snowy and icy, she didn't even have to leave her building if she didn't want to -- she could go to the places in her building or have food delivered.

My in-laws, however, decided to move to Florida. They live in an enormous development, where it takes 15 minutes just to get out of the housing development. Then, once you're out of the housing development, it takes another 15 minutes to get to anything -- a gas station, a grocery store, any shops or restaurants. There is nothing that delivers. There's no ice, but it is hot and humid for half the year. Oh, and because lots of seniors live in the town, they don't want to pay anything for the schools, so they all suck. No one who is able to leave stays.
Why would your in-laws care about the schools?

Old 12-21-2019, 10:21 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,220,900 times
After living in 4 different states and 1 foreign country I lived in Massachusetts for 7 years. I yhen moved for a job to Florida and ended up spending 15 years there, As opf about 15 years ago I am back and sticll believe what I felt when I move away 16 years ago.....everywhere i wht you make of it. I hate moving away from Massachustees to Florida but I understood that everywhere has something to offer nd learned to appreciate what Florida had to offer over Massachiuseets. It wasn't everything, Every place has an aspedt of itself which is special and awesome. It seems sad to me that so many people can't recognize what it is special about their own backyard. But we're back now. Do we mis Florida? In some ways, but not in all. You have to learn to appreciate what i right in front of you, and there are things I missed about Massachusets like the history, the seasons, the public transposrtatop system, the sports culture, the museums, the universities, the seafood, ........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts