Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 03:35 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The Romneys owned condos on the edge of the property where my job was (the psychiatric hospital). I was tempted to drive home after my night shift past the Secret Service cars with a dog crate and stuffed animal on the roof of my car! On election night, the place was swarming with security, etc. By the end of that night, it was deserted.
Bet you have some “interesting” stories from working there. Heck, even I do from people whose friends were patients there. That’s not counting the celebrity stuff. And I had forgotten all about Bailey’s until I saw Girl, Interrupted on DVD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 04:52 PM

880 posts, read 819,180 times
Quote:
The Romneys owned condos on the edge of the property where my job was (the psychiatric hospital). I was tempted to drive home after my night shift past the Secret Service cars with a dog crate and stuffed animal on the roof of my car! On election night, the place was swarming with security, etc. By the end of that night, it was deserted.
Is it true that most patients graduated from ivy league colleges? I heard this rumor

Old 02-12-2020, 07:51 PM

18,721 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Is it true that most patients graduated from ivy league colleges? I heard this rumor
Not at all.
A lot of the rumors and books about McLean come from the 1960s or so. A very different world in healthcare in general, when "Girl Interrupted" referred, etc.

There were marked changes, especially in the 1990s with wide acceptance of Medicare/Medicaid, downsizing (hospital went from something like 360 beds to 160 and there were layoffs). The campus was 240 acres and went down to 50 acres with core services and buildings (hence a green belt and the condos mentioned).

Let me simply say that I worked in many area hospitals and while every place has some good people, you need a good system to deliver the care. The years I worked at McLean were by far more effective and valuable than anywhere else, although I will emphasize that there are good people in every system.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:30 AM

12,410 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxer View Post
Thank you for all the comments.

My another observation is although Belmont is closer to Cambridge and Boston, it is far from highway 95 and 93 which makes commuting to jobs in the suburbs longer.

Winchester is close to Boston and 93, which seems the houses at Winchester should be at least comparable to Belmont. The reality is the price per square foot is close to 600, while in Winchester, it is around 400+.

Any other comments is there any historical reason why people like Belmont so much?
Winchester is beautiful. Not that there's anything wrong with Belmont, but I'd far prefer Winchester.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:49 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Belmont, for the most par, has lots of single-family and two-family homes, with many tree-lined streets. Its appeal is pretty obvious, and the school district is excellent, too...

Old 02-13-2020, 10:02 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,360 times
Um usually places that are expensive are highly sought after. Belmont is very nice, close to Cambridge and has good schools

Old 02-13-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
The rumor might be partly due to the hospital having been affiliated with Harvard, at least in the old days.

Of the two patients I heard about from someone who had lived with them (outside of the hospital), both were brilliant. One of them did attend Harvard and got picked up in Harvard Square when he was carrying something not normally considered a weapon but definitely “out of place” and acting strangely enough (as in, “the guy is gonna kill someone”) that someone reported him. I still have an old book of his that our mutual friend gave to me after he was hauled away. He had threatened to kill this guy, too.

The other patient I met during one of his not-in-the-hospital times. Even during his normal period, right off the bat he struck me as a little off. He, too, had tried to kill someone. I don’t know if he had attended an Ivy League school.

Old 02-13-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The rumor might be partly due to the hospital having been affiliated with Harvard, at least in the old days.

McLean is a teaching hospital for Harvard Medical. Many patients are students from many of the area colleges, if their diagnosis is appropriate for a unit. More chronically ill and less functional patients tend to be in the same diagnostic areas, and are not students. But with the high volume of people coming in for treatment of almost every diagnosis, people coming in are from all over the social-economic spectrum. The days of famous rock stars, etc. paying out of pocket for very long stays are history.

Old 02-13-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
McLean is a teaching hospital for Harvard Medical. Many patients are students from many of the area colleges, if their diagnosis is appropriate for a unit. More chronically ill and less functional patients tend to be in the same diagnostic areas, and are not students. But with the high volume of people coming in for treatment of almost every diagnosis, people coming in are from all over the social-economic spectrum. The days of famous rock stars, etc. paying out of pocket for very long stays are history.
Thanks for the update. The incidents I related must have happened in the late 70s and I lived in the town in the ‘80s. Some big changes were already happening, stuff like Arab shieks buying up city lots with an existing very nice house on them, scraping off, and covering the entire lot with an ugly house-thing. Or landlords jamming a second small home in what was the backyard of an existing small home. The building restrictions must have been lax, which is kind of weird given that it was never a slummy town.

Star Market got shoehorned into the funky triangle at one end of Waverly that I never would have guessed would get such a big building on it. The entire atmosphere became more rushrushrush. I was glad to leave the Boston area despite its good attributes.

Speaking of rock stars, a friend of mine lived in a rental house in Lexington. She said one of the neighbors somewhere nearby was J. Geils.

R.I.P. to the Andros Diner...

Old 02-13-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Thanks for the update....in a rental house in Lexington. She said one of the neighbors somewhere nearby was J. Geils.

R.I.P. to the Andros Diner...
Andros was such a loss. I got so weary of every place I ever liked closing around Belmont and Cambridge. I know things change but the whole area felt like money running through the streets and the Starbuckization of so much. Like a giant outdoor suburb mall. No character or history. I started eating out in Lowell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts