Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2020, 09:37 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

The sidebar from there was whether people in various households across the state would take note of these minor, virtually non-existent symptoms and decide to put their lives on hold voluntarily while they went and got tested. It's easy for many of us working at home, in salaried positions, with good insurance programs to say yes. But what to do if you live in a multigenerational household where you and another may be working hard to put food on the table and pay the rent and one of you wakes up with a headache and nobody has health insurance or a dollar to spare. Not going to work means going hungry, or possibly getting evicted. It could also mean their boss telling them don't bother to show up anymore and going to get someone else. Some people need to survive and that is their #1 priority.

This, exactly. It's mind-boggling to me that some people are so sheltered that they don't understand that not everyone can forgo a paycheck, especially when that paycheck may already be reduced due to the pandemic. Tsk-ing them on the internet doesn't change the reality that a large segment of the population is living paycheck to paycheck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 09:55 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
This, exactly. It's mind-boggling to me that some people are so sheltered that they don't understand that not everyone can forgo a paycheck, especially when that paycheck may already be reduced due to the pandemic. Tsk-ing them on the internet doesn't change the reality that a large segment of the population is living paycheck to paycheck.

"Not MY problem!"
"It's not MY fault they made bad choices and have crappy jobs!"

Old 12-07-2020, 10:02 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post

Especially when their own behavior is very high risk with absolutely no need.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:21 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Oh yes, my behavior is incredibly high risk. My God staying in my parents home over the summer when numbers were next to nothing and having 3 people over for Thanksgiving. I'm done with this convo. I'm at the point where I dont care what anyone else is doing, this whole thing is a mess and I'm glad myself and my family are doing well.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:25 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
"Not MY problem!"
"It's not MY fault they made bad choices and have crappy jobs!"

We'll turn you into a Libertarian yet. You have the key talking points down.

I'm embarrassed to say that this was my Ayn Rand-ian worldview when I was much younger.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:32 AM

17,743 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Oh yes, my behavior is incredibly high risk. My God staying in my parents home over the summer when numbers were next to nothing and having 3 people over for Thanksgiving. I'm done with this convo. I'm at the point where I dont care what anyone else is doing, this whole thing is a mess and I'm glad myself and my family are doing well.
But it's only because you've been lucky. Your luck could change if you continue doing risky things.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:37 AM

I've said before I dont go to restaurants anymore, haven't been since early October. Clearly others are still going. I am kind of surprised that so many restaurants are still in business and many appear to be packed. I'm sure that restaurant owners and workers are glad not everyone things like me and everyone here when it comes to dining out.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:47 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Restaurants are packed, grocery stores and malls.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:50 AM

Dang some huge risk takers out there in 2020.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:55 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
With respect to economics we have to bridge the gap between saying "Well just shut down" and reopening. We need help for small businesses so they do more online. Let's say you have a small shop in Taunton. Has maybe five people, maybe family run. They can't comply with distancing so they close. Well yeah that's for the public. If they had a website that informed people of pickup and ways of online ordering it could help. To go from opening to close is a huge drop. It takes time to get a website and SEO and SEM etc.

I was thinking of the past 20 years and it seems when we hit an economic bump it led to different things. 9/11 caused airliners to stop for a month. Air traffic didn't come back for three years. Meanwhile by the time it did wifi, bluetooth and skype came out. From that point forwarded telework could be made much easier. Less wires and cameras could work.

In 2008 smartphones came out and the app revolution. Sending photos and video gradually gained steam. 3G went into 4G.

So covid...yeah. It isn't like people are all wanting to go overseas or wait for some app to get hired. We're talking about real local issues. Like transit systems shutting down, in person anything shutting down and people being afraid of anything in person.

Answer...5G. We start getting serious by automatic cars and delivery services. Forget about taxi drivers or even lyft, just have it drive itself. Forget about delivery services. Anything that really is low skilled that involves dealing directly with people automate and get it out. Can't happen here? We had automats back in the 1890's in NYC
https://restauranttechnologynews.com...l-restaurants/
Even if some of this doesn't start in the USA it can certainly happen in other countries.

I've been to NYC easily the largest city in the USA. I was also in China. A small City in China is about a million people. You really have no idea what it is like in terms of population until you go. I'd imagine India can be the same.

I'm thinking we'd eventually automate much of this and maybe in another 60 -80 years have some form of UBI - universal basic income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts