Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2020, 10:49 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
The crazy thing is...the people who have gotten it (so far) weren't sitting near each other.
There was also an indoor reception after the announcement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 10:50 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
The crazy thing is...the people who have gotten it (so far) weren't sitting near each other.

Hard to say if it was when they were seated, or another related event. Those persons could have stepped aside to speak together, or an infected person went around and spoke to each of them individually. We may never know.

ALso, I don't believe we will ever know the status of everyone who attended that event. We are hearing the big names, but there are a lot of people in that pic who aren't really anyone special. If they test positive, I doubt it would ever make the news. If someone has that info though, a seating map showing positive results might help show a pattern, or maybe not.

I think a similar thing was seen with the 2003 SARS outbreak on a plane where people sitting next to the infected person did not come down with it, but persons a few rows away (where it was deemed low risk) did catch it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/c..._reality_sars/

As one poster in that thread states, the map might not make sense if everyone sits in their seat and never moves, but we will never know if the infected person went to the restroom and everyone who caught it touched the same door handle.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:53 AM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
2 of Kayleigh McEnany's staffers also tested positive today.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:15 AM

10 people (pictured) plus 2 of White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany's deputies, Chad Gilmartin and Karoline Leavitt, have tested positive.

As of 12:40 p.m. ET, here is a running list of people who said they tested negative for coronavirus last week but have not said if they have been tested again over the weekend:
  • Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin: Tested negative for the coronavirus Friday morning, according to his spokesperson Monica Crowley. He will continue to be tested daily.
  • Secretary of State Mike Pompeo: He told the press pool traveling with him in Dubrovnik that he and his wife tested negative for coronavirus on Friday morning.
  • Secretary of Defense Mark Esper Secretary Esper tested negative for the virus earlier last week during his travels and was tested again Friday.
  • Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross: Tested negative for the virus Friday morning, according to the Department of Commerce.
  • Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar: He told reporters Friday morning he was tested "out of an abundance of caution" and said on Twitter Friday that he tested negative.
  • Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Ben Carson: Tested negative Thursday for the virus while he was traveling with Vice President Mike Pence, Carson's Chief of Staff Andrew Hughes told CNN.
  • Secretary of Veterans Affairs Robert Wilkie: Tested negative on Wednesday, according to VA spokesperson James Hutton.
  • Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Mark Milley: Tested negative for the virus Friday, according to Jonathan Hoffman, assistant to the Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs.
  • Acting Secretary of Homeland Security Chad Wolf: DHS Deputy Assistant Secretary Chase Jennings said Friday that Wolf "has tested negative three times in the past seven days for COVID-19."
  • CDC Director Robert Redfield: Hismost-recent Covid-19 test was Tuesday, Sept. 29th, and the result was negative, according to a statement from a CDC spokesperson.
  • Trump's Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett: Tested negative for coronavirus on Friday, according to White House spokesperson Judd Deere.
  • White House Economic Adviser Larry Kudlow: Is tested every day, and tested negative Friday morning, he told Fox Business News.
  • Trump's lawyer Rudy Giuliani: He reiterated to CNN Saturday that he tested negative for Covid-19 on Friday and that he is experiencing no symptoms.
  • Eric and Lara Trump: Trump's son and his wife both tested negative for coronavirus Friday, according to a statement from their spokesperson posted by Lara on her Twitter and Instagram accounts.
  • Barron Trump: The 14-year-old son of Trump tested negative for coronavirus, according to Stephanie Grisham, Melania Trump’s chief of staff, on Friday.

Source: https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...day/index.html

Old 10-05-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yes, but they may not have exchanged virus at that event - Trump, Hope Hicks, Kayleigh McEnany, Chris Christie (and I think other White House team members infected), have been working together outside of that Rose Garden event... in other group settings as well as 1:1. Not saying the Rose Garden ceremony was smart or responsible, mind you, but we don't know where the deed was done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
There was also an indoor reception after the announcement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Hard to say if it was when they were seated, or another related event. Those persons could have stepped aside to speak together, or an infected person went around and spoke to each of them individually. We may never know.

ALso, I don't believe we will ever know the status of everyone who attended that event. We are hearing the big names, but there are a lot of people in that pic who aren't really anyone special. If they test positive, I doubt it would ever make the news. If someone has that info though, a seating map showing positive results might help show a pattern, or maybe not.

I think a similar thing was seen with the 2003 SARS outbreak on a plane where people sitting next to the infected person did not come down with it, but persons a few rows away (where it was deemed low risk) did catch it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/c..._reality_sars/

As one poster in that thread states, the map might not make sense if everyone sits in their seat and never moves, but we will never know if the infected person went to the restroom and everyone who caught it touched the same door handle.

Yeah. It's also possible, I guess, that the other people had antibodies.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:37 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
My issue with this is the blatant disregard for the most basic guidelines of wear a mask and practice social distancing

Old 10-05-2020, 11:41 AM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
My issue with this is the blatant disregard for the most basic guidelines of wear a mask and practice social distancing
That model has been coming down from the top these past 7+ months.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:11 PM

16,398 posts, read 8,198,277 times
People should wear masks, it's mind boggling to see that photo above with people sitting so close together not wearing masks. Do they not care about their health?

This whole pandemic situation is pretty annoying but it's here. I don't really mind wearing a mask. It's just kind of sad that this is how we have to live right now. Maybe people think there is less risk when outdoors which I do believe there is but not if you're sitting that close to people!

Old 10-05-2020, 12:37 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
There was a pretty good video posted on another thread that showed just how much a simple cloth mask cut down how far particulates from your breath spread after a cough. I wish I could find it now. Without the mask, the particulates in your breath would eject and travel about 6-7 feet or more in a matter of seconds. With a mask on, it was only a few inches through the mask. It was a dramatic difference in how far the "contaminated breath" spread.

The mask was essentially acting as a diffuser, and not necessarily a filter media. The particulates would pass through the mask, but in doing so, their velocity would slow, and the area of expulsion would spread out. As a result, once they passed through, they were slowed down enough that the exhaled vapor didn't spread as much. In other words, even though the mask wasn't 100% effective (as many have stated), it did significantly reduce the amount of projection to others in the area due to reduction in exhalation velocity.

For a person wearing one breathing in....they do jack. Back this spring, I posted test results that I've personally done (in a lab, on lab equipment for those who are new to this thread) showing that most cloth masks are actually terrible filters and would do nothing to stop small particulates of virus from entering. They were in the range of 10-20% effective down to 0.03um.

But again, it's been stated multiple times that the entire point of masks was to protect others from you, and not the other way around. And the science supports this logic.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:48 PM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
There was a pretty good video posted on another thread that showed just how much a simple cloth mask cut down how far particulates from your breath spread after a cough. I wish I could find it now. Without the mask, the particulates in your breath would eject and travel about 6-7 feet or more in a matter of seconds. With a mask on, it was only a few inches through the mask. It was a dramatic difference in how far the "contaminated breath" spread.

The mask was essentially acting as a diffuser, and not necessarily a filter media. The particulates would pass through the mask, but in doing so, their velocity would slow, and the area of expulsion would spread out. As a result, once they passed through, they were slowed down enough that the exhaled vapor didn't spread as much. In other words, even though the mask wasn't 100% effective (as many have stated), it did significantly reduce the amount of projection to others in the area due to reduction in exhalation velocity.

For a person wearing one breathing in....they do jack. Back this spring, I posted test results that I've personally done (in a lab, on lab equipment for those who are new to this thread) showing that most cloth masks are actually terrible filters and would do nothing to stop small particulates of virus from entering. They were in the range of 10-20% effective down to 0.03um.

But again, it's been stated multiple times that the entire point of masks was to protect others from you, and not the other way around. And the science supports this logic.
This image should simplify it a bit... And just like you want wear your pants high enough on the waist, you want to cover your nose with the mask. In both cases, it looks stupid when you don't and the effectiveness is lost.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts