Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2020, 01:29 PM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

I don't think they can pinpoint it. It's very likely that the people who are coming down with it know are not adhering to restrictions and such in general, and can not definitively point out where it is they contracted the virus? Lets just say in the course of a week, then went out to eat indoors twice, went over to a friends house for a party, rode the MBTA bus 4 times, went grocery shopping twice, did some outdoor yoga 2x without a mask, and socialized in general without a mask a number of times to various individuals. Where would you say they got it with 100% certainty?

If they did have solid data that pointed to particular businesses and practices, my guess is an announcement of that fact (in which they were unable to adjust their business model to counter the risk factor) would pretty much tank that business until next year if/when the virus is "gone".

I would almost say that the gov might just be looking the other way with regards to indoor dining. It doesn't make any sense given the amount of studies and such by experts who have stated that indoor spread is a common mode of transmission for covid.
https://www.inverse.com/mind-body/ho...-common-places

Last edited by BostonMike7; 10-06-2020 at 01:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
https://cdn.mbta.com/sites/default/f...accessible.pdf

MBTA staring to talk about big time permanent cuts to the system due to the ridership decline. Bus might be the one exception.

16,405 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default '

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
That's part of the problem. Covid has become a scarlet letter these days, and any mention that a case broke out at a specific business would tank future business, even after they did a deep cleaning and after they followed the rules. They'd likely also endure some ongoing social shaming from the more extreme coronaphobics.
yep. I think people are afraid to admit even having a cold.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:08 PM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post

MBTA staring to talk about big time permanent cuts to the system due to the ridership decline. Bus might be the one exception.
Jeez! That sucks! I can see why they might pare things back to rebalance revenues and outlays better during the pandemic, but I don't see why they'd look to just eliminate services permanently.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:17 PM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Just listened to Dr. Helen Boucher of Tufts on WBUR. She confirmed that most of the rising cases in MA are young people, and linked it to the student population increase since Labor Day. Also remarked that there is no issue with hospital or ICU capacity in MA. While she said it's too early to know IFR exactly, that treatment methods are definitely improving. This is all good news heading into the winter.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:33 PM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Just listened to Dr. Helen Boucher of Tufts on WBUR. She confirmed that most of the rising cases in MA are young people, and linked it to the student population increase since Labor Day. Also remarked that there is no issue with hospital or ICU capacity in MA. While she said it's too early to know IFR exactly, that treatment methods are definitely improving. This is all good news heading into the winter.
A lot has been learned about the complicated pathology of Covid-19 and how to deal with it. Even some existing medications - the right ones, given at the right times to the right patients, have reduced mortality and morbidity - identification and sharing of best practices by clinicians as well as clinical trials have advanced that work. Two prime examples are steroidal anti-inflammatories and anticoagulants.

And, while you don't develop new drugs from scratch in a year, some new treatments like targeted monoclonal antibodies and antiviral drugs like Remdesivir are coming online. Remdesivir was already out there, but I think it hadn't found much successful application (some use on Ebola in Africa) until Covid-19 and it hadn't won domestic FDA approval. Monoclonal antibodies can be very effective and can be developed faster than small molecule drugs, but they are very expensive though (~ $100K for treatment), and these treatments won't scale well for this reason.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:56 PM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post

Those reductions don't seem so bad, mostly hits to the commuter rail and ferry. If WFH stays higher post pandemic as compared to pre-COVID, then cuts to those specific areas are viable.

Old 10-06-2020, 03:03 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
There goes the housing market in Hingham. No ferry. I don't know as nyokne in Hingham that wants to drive to Boston let alone take a train in.

Old 10-06-2020, 03:50 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
There goes the housing market in Hingham. No ferry. I don't know as nyokne in Hingham that wants to drive to Boston let alone take a train in.
There's discussion of eliminating routes. If anything, I believe they would reduce service versus eliminating the route. That ferry runs every 15-60 minutes during the course of the day.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:00 PM

16,405 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
not necessarily. If remote work continues past the pandemic (whenever it 'ends') then more people might want to move to a place like hingham because they won't have to commute into boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts