Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2020, 02:46 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Can you honestly say you would have cancelled your Thanksgiving dinner had one of your children woken up with a runny nose?
Honestly, I’d shrug it off and say “it’s winter, noses run”. And 9 times out of 10 that’s all it would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2020, 05:36 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Can you honestly say you would have cancelled your Thanksgiving dinner had one of your children woken up with a runny nose?
Yes, without a doubt. My father passed years ago. I’m not looking to lose my mother.

Old 12-06-2020, 04:20 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
The spread is everywhere now. Finger pointing at this point is pointless.

But how did we get here? The local governors allowed this to happen.
No. We got here because self-centered morons ignored very well communicated public health messaging. The NY Times epidemiologist survey of a couple days ago reports most are running errands with masks and doing things outdoors with friends. They’re not eating in indoor restaurants and they’re not indoors without masks ignoring distancing. They keep to their small bubble of immediate family and closest friends who are all in the same bubble. That’s how we’ve been living our lives since March. Among other things, it’s our civic duty.

Old 12-06-2020, 04:28 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
No. We got here because self-centered morons ignored very well communicated public health messaging. The NY Times epidemiologist survey of a couple days ago reports most are running errands with masks and doing things outdoors with friends. They’re not eating in indoor restaurants and they’re not indoors without masks ignoring distancing. They keep to their small bubble of immediate family and closest friends who are all in the same bubble. That’s how we’ve been living our lives since March. Among other things, it’s our civic duty.
To be perfectly blunt, most people are lying.

They may wear a mask in public, but many restaurants have been packed and many many people are having friends over inside.

Old 12-06-2020, 07:07 AM

943 posts, read 410,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I disagree that public health messaging has been well communicated. Just regarding masks, there was the initial messaging from we don't need them, to wear them to protect others, to wear them to protect yourself. At the highest level of our government, the message has been that your civic duty is not to wear masks, and inconsistent messaging whether herd immunity is the way to go. Even now, public messaging is inconsistent. In RI, where we are pretty much the worst in the nation according to some reports, the message is you can go out to restaurants and malls, but not have a single person over in your house. The trusted CDC was turned into a political toy and thrust aside for much of the pandemic etc. I could go on and on. There are a few nations in the world where it appears public messaging has been consistent since the beginning, but we are not one of them. It's not like the messaging that smoking kills I was exposed to as a kid.

Epidemiologists know by years of training what harm a pandemic causes to themselves and their country, and so I suspect many of them were not lying (it does not look good politically right now to not send your kids to school, but most of them said the do not or would not in that survey, which would suggest truthful reporting).

Old 12-06-2020, 03:42 PM

8,757 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Honestly, I’d shrug it off and say “it’s winter, noses run”. And 9 times out of 10 that’s all it would be.
And this is why the numbers are so high. People only thinking about themselves.

Old 12-06-2020, 04:30 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
And this is why the numbers are so high. People only thinking about themselves.

Right, but the correct course of action is not realistic for many households, for many reasons. Sometimes selfish, and sometimes because they have no choice.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:00 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Well we should have known this was going to spread the way it has since there seem to be so many people out there who can't stay home. It seems like many of your are forgiving of this? I guess i'm in the if you have corona you still stay home even if it means not getting paid.

I still find it weird that so many were overly critical of healthy people having close family in their home but you can understand why others were unable to quarantine because of corona. 'Unable' is always kind of up in the air. I'm sure there are simply selfish people out there who didn't quarantine and weren't just in dire straights.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:28 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I still find it weird that so many were overly critical of healthy people having close family in their home but you can understand why others were unable to quarantine because of corona. 'Unable' is always kind of up in the air. I'm sure there are simply selfish people out there who didn't quarantine and weren't just in dire straights.
I find it weird that you're still hung up on this and that you can't seem to understand that criticism and understanding aren't mutually exclusive. It's really not that hard to understand why people do certain things while also being able to criticize those things if they're done irresponsibly.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:35 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
I just dont think it's cool if people are out and about with coronavirus regardless of the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts