Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 01:17 PM

11 posts, read 14,299 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Can anyone share insight on Harvard vs Stow vs Acton vs Littleton in terms of community, "stuff to do" and activities for kids? Are there certain neighborhoods in these towns that have more of a family feel (walkable neighborhoods/low traffic streets/sidewalks/parks/playgrounds/space for bike riding/etc)

Harvard and Stow appear to be very quiet/wooded and with smaller populations would appear to have less going on in terms of community activities and opportunities for kids.

Does Littleton have much of anything going on outside of the movie theater complex off 495?

Acton appears to have the most going on (downtown, restaurants, Trader Joes, commuter rail, etc).

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 01:29 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,137,060 times
You seem to be conflating commercial activity with community activity. A town like Harvard has very little commercial activity, but I can assure you the residents within are very active.

All of the mentioned towns are overwhelming affluent and educated, so their children are plenty active/engaged and the towns recreational offerings generally reflect this.

If you're someone who values hikes in conservation lands, Harvard might be more your speed. If you value having more immediate access to restaurants and Boston metro, than Acton might be more your speed.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:46 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
I wouldn't say Littleton has a lot going on "besides the Point." The Point is only in the last few years. I lived in Littleton 1992-2018. I think there is more going on if you take part in community activities, town meetings, have kids in the school, and so forth. There is an excellent historical society. Very nice walking trails all over but not where the new big "colonials" are as far as I know. If you don't have kids (as I didn't) I'm not sure what is "going on." I considered going to Concord for restaurants or other town-like pleasures. Unitarian Church there seems very good. I love the Main Street Cafe in Concord.

Littleton is a fine town, well located, very quiet, woodsy and beautiful little lakes (I lived near Long Lake in the woods). For "goings on," I tended to get in the car and go to Lowell for Cambodian food, or the Bull Run in Shirley for food or music, Cambridge for other city things. I worked third shift off Route 2, so it was an ideal quiet place for my schedule. I don't think I'd live there again in retirement and being single and living alone and all.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:27 AM

6 posts, read 10,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
You seem to be conflating commercial activity with community activity. A town like Harvard has very little commercial activity, but I can assure you the residents within are very active.

All of the mentioned towns are overwhelming affluent and educated, so their children are plenty active/engaged and the towns recreational offerings generally reflect this.

If you're someone who values hikes in conservation lands, Harvard might be more your speed. If you value having more immediate access to restaurants and Boston metro, than Acton might be more your speed.
Thank you! My post was hastily written and you note an important distinction here. Ultimately I'm trying to get a better feel for both, with an emphasis on community activity as its more difficult to gauge remotely.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:45 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boschi View Post
Hi All,

Can anyone share insight on Harvard vs Stow vs Acton vs Littleton in terms of community, "stuff to do" and activities for kids? Are there certain neighborhoods in these towns that have more of a family feel (walkable neighborhoods/low traffic streets/sidewalks/parks/playgrounds/space for bike riding/etc)

Harvard and Stow appear to be very quiet/wooded and with smaller populations would appear to have less going on in terms of community activities and opportunities for kids.

Does Littleton have much of anything going on outside of the movie theater complex off 495?

Acton appears to have the most going on (downtown, restaurants, Trader Joes, commuter rail, etc).

Thanks in advance!
What about Boxborough? What about Chelmsford? Westford?

With family dispersed across the entire area, I'd say Chelmsford is the most active. Still a lot of land, forest, but a strong community and nice little downtown area. It's also, in my opinion, in the best location, as Burlington is a quick 15 minute shot down 3, and the Lowell rail gets you into North Station in 40 minutes.

I'd say Westford/Acton would be next in line. I have said before, but I personally think that Westford is the nicest aesthetically. Commercial areas are new and well kept, lakes, multiple apple orchards, nice neighborhoods in every shape and size. Acton is a bit more stale.. Just boomed sooner, and hasn't seen the steady investment like Westford has. On the flip side, Acton still carries more of a name brand (maybe?), though that's changed significantly over the last two decades. Westford has a brand new Park/Rec Center in town that serves as a massive sports/theatre complex. Turf fields are the norm for youth athletics. Roudenbush Community Center was just redone, finished last year. Nashoba ski hill is great for after school programs, or weekends with the family. Tiki bar is a good getaway for drinks and seafood. Nab lake is the most recreational lake in the general area.. Ton of boats, fishing, water sports. There's a public beach for the town/massive playground on the water, and private beaches for neighborhood residents.

If you like quaint, small, you'll get that in all of these towns. I like the classic town common, classic colonials, country roads, hills.. But also like having new blood, community resources, and commercial activity within the confines of town.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
What about Boxborough? What about Chelmsford? Westford?

With family dispersed across the entire area, I'd say Chelmsford is the most active. Still a lot of land, forest, but a strong community and nice little downtown area. It's also, in my opinion, in the best location, as Burlington is a quick 15 minute shot down 3, and the Lowell rail gets you into North Station in 40 minutes.

I'd say Westford/Acton would be next in line. I have said before, but I personally think that Westford is the nicest aesthetically. Commercial areas are new and well kept, lakes, multiple apple orchards, nice neighborhoods in every shape and size. Acton is a bit more stale.. Just boomed sooner, and hasn't seen the steady investment like Westford has. On the flip side, Acton still carries more of a name brand (maybe?), though that's changed significantly over the last two decades. Westford has a brand new Park/Rec Center in town that serves as a massive sports/theatre complex. Turf fields are the norm for youth athletics. Roudenbush Community Center was just redone, finished last year. Nashoba ski hill is great for after school programs, or weekends with the family. Tiki bar is a good getaway for drinks and seafood. Nab lake is the most recreational lake in the general area.. Ton of boats, fishing, water sports. There's a public beach for the town/massive playground on the water, and private beaches for neighborhood residents.

If you like quaint, small, you'll get that in all of these towns. I like the classic town common, classic colonials, country roads, hills.. But also like having new blood, community resources, and commercial activity within the confines of town.
I know Chelmsford is changing, but IMO, it's a bit apples to oranges. The town's household income remains ~30% less than the towns OP listed and housing stock/schools still reflect this divide. I think Chelmsford is a perfectly fine town, but it's quite different from the leafy metrowest 'burbs OP seems to be targeting.

It seems OP should also consider east Bolton if Stow is shortlisted. I agree with Boxborough and Westford also being shortlisted. All of these towns are more or less at parity, IMO, it really comes down to commute, desire for intra-town commercial activity, and housing stock preferences.

I personally prefer large wooded lots and mid-century architecture, so Harvard or Stow might be my ideal. But really, any of the towns would suffice assuming I could find a home which satisfied my requirements.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:39 AM

11 posts, read 14,299 times
Quote:
I know Chelmsford is changing, but IMO, it's a bit apples to oranges. The town's household income remains ~30% less than the towns OP listed and housing stock/schools still reflect this divide. I think Chelmsford is a perfectly fine town, but it's quite different from the leafy metrowest 'burbs OP seems to be targeting.

It seems OP should also consider east Bolton if Stow is shortlisted. I agree with Boxborough and Westford also being shortlisted. All of these towns are more or less at parity, IMO, it really comes down to commute, desire for intra-town commercial activity, and housing stock preferences.

I personally prefer large wooded lots and mid-century architecture, so Harvard or Stow might be my ideal. But really, any of the towns would suffice assuming I could find a home which satisfied my requirements.
Thank you all! Good thoughts here.

We should probably consider Bolton and Boxborough, though these look to be pushing our budget a bit ($700k, 3 bed/2 bath). Westford might be a little far north for our commuting purposes. We'd ideally stay between 2 and the pike, but I suppose could be more flexible for the right fit.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boschi View Post
Thank you all! Good thoughts here.

We should probably consider Bolton and Boxborough, though these look to be pushing our budget a bit ($700k, 3 bed/2 bath). Westford might be a little far north for our commuting purposes. We'd ideally stay between 2 and the pike, but I suppose could be more flexible for the right fit.
Price per sqft should be equivalent or less, but yes, properties in Bolton tend to be more 'estate-like' meaning you might not be able to realize any cost advantage versus Acton despite lower per sqft costs and tax rates.

Westford is advantageous if someone within the household is commuting to rt 3/95, which it sounds like is not the case for you and your family.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:26 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Price per sqft should be equivalent or less, but yes, properties in Bolton tend to be more 'estate-like' meaning you might not be able to realize any cost advantage versus Acton despite lower per sqft costs and tax rates.

Westford is advantageous if someone within the household is commuting to rt 3/95, which it sounds like is not the case for you and your family.
Bolton has one of the highest tax rates in the state.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Bolton has one of the highest tax rates in the state.
I hadn't realized it had leaped Acton's rate.

Really, Bolton, Acton, Stow are all equivalent ... and Harvard, Littleton, Boxoborough aren't far behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts