Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 09:09 AM

13 posts, read 9,394 times

Advertisements

Hi friends, we have been looking at houses for the last year mostly in Andover area but didn’t find any. We found a few that we liked , but they got taken away before we could even put in an offer . We expanded our search to Middleton and North Reading. We don’t know much about both of these towns . Would greatly appreciate any insights from people living in these areas or around. My concerns are mostly about schools, diverse community, family friendliness and activities for kids. Do you recommend one town versus the other ? We did put in an offer on a house in North Andover , but the sellers got emotional and said they need more time to think. There might be a house popping up in North Reading soon that might interest us , & we are torn whether to buy this house right away or wait for the sellers changing their mind in North Andover. Again, the same question - any insights on North Andover versus North Reading for schools & kid friendly activities ?

Thanks very much in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 11:14 AM

550 posts, read 682,617 times
Hi! I've been a North Andover resident for 10.5 years. It is a wonderful family friendly town. In regards to schools Kindergarten is free in North Andover and it's a full day program. All Kindergarten kids go to the same school The Anne Bradstreet Early childhood center which is about 3 years old. Prior to this the K kids would attend K at there assigned neighborhood elementary school. In order to reduce class sizes a new school was built for K and this freed up classrooms in Elementary schools. There are 2 farms in town that offer kid activities, youth center, town pond for residents only and several great restaurants in town

Old 01-28-2021, 12:42 PM

5 posts, read 3,656 times
Hi!

My wife and I moved to North Reading a couple years ago and have loved every minute of it. We too looked in Andover and Middleton for our search but ultimately fell in love with North Reading's small-town vibe. We both work in Cambridge and after doing a few trial runs found that we saved ~10-15 minutes from the North Reading location. I'm sure you have done your own homework, but the schools in each town are all comparable, and we have been very impressed with the quality of the teachers. If anything, one of our concerns with both Middleton and Andover was the size of the high school and the increased chance of being lost in the shuffle amongst such a large student population.

With that being said, North Reading is certainly less diverse than Andover but has been undergoing a transformation over the last 10 years, which began with the development of Ipswich River Park and new high school. One thing that sold us on the town is the level of development the town is planning to commit to in the next 5-10 years. A rail-trail through town connecting Wilmington and Salem is in the planning stages and they are currently soliciting bids to redevelop the center of town and Route 28 (https://www.northreadingma.gov/sites...tes/12-1_0.pdf). It has been a great place to live during covid due to the extensive network of sidewalks and things to do.

Shoot me a message if you have any more questions and good luck!

Old 01-28-2021, 02:37 PM

604 posts, read 564,115 times
North Reading puts you closer to Boston, easier/better highway and commuter rail access.

Old 01-28-2021, 04:41 PM

560 posts, read 753,488 times
N. Reading taxes are high compared to Middleton

Old 01-28-2021, 05:33 PM

3,690 posts, read 7,444,748 times
You know what they say about Middleton and North Reading? It's not Lynnfield.

Old 01-28-2021, 05:39 PM

550 posts, read 682,617 times
FYI You have to pay for full day Kindergarten in North Reading. It’s all septic as well

Old 01-28-2021, 09:27 PM

15,811 posts, read 20,573,398 times
Middleton has a nice driving range...with cows.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal1181 View Post
FYI You have to pay for full day Kindergarten in North Reading. It’s all septic as well
Thank you Sal1181. Do we have to pay for it only if its full day or even if its for half day? How is it in North Andover, I thought it was the same situation.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRmember10 View Post
Hi!

My wife and I moved to North Reading a couple years ago and have loved every minute of it. We too looked in Andover and Middleton for our search but ultimately fell in love with North Reading's small-town vibe. We both work in Cambridge and after doing a few trial runs found that we saved ~10-15 minutes from the North Reading location. I'm sure you have done your own homework, but the schools in each town are all comparable, and we have been very impressed with the quality of the teachers. If anything, one of our concerns with both Middleton and Andover was the size of the high school and the increased chance of being lost in the shuffle amongst such a large student population.

With that being said, North Reading is certainly less diverse than Andover but has been undergoing a transformation over the last 10 years, which began with the development of Ipswich River Park and new high school. One thing that sold us on the town is the level of development the town is planning to commit to in the next 5-10 years. A rail-trail through town connecting Wilmington and Salem is in the planning stages and they are currently soliciting bids to redevelop the center of town and Route 28 (https://www.northreadingma.gov/sites...tes/12-1_0.pdf). It has been a great place to live during covid due to the extensive network of sidewalks and things to do.

Shoot me a message if you have any more questions and good luck!
Thank you so much for the detailed information. What age are your kids? The house we are looking at is affiliated with LD Batchelder. Do you know if they have pre school as well? I looked at the town plan for the next ten years and was very impressed at what the town is trying to accomplish. Looks like a good place to invest. How long does it take for you to get to Cambridge & what time do you leave? I might have to go to Cambridge depending on the COVID situation as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts