Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2021, 06:49 PM

1,037 posts, read 678,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
When you have a 350k home in MA, you can pay as little as 3k in property taxes if it is a more urban area.

In NJ, it can be more than 10k a year. Income Tax is higher, toll roads are insane.. costs me like $15 a day to go to work in tolls alone, NJ Transit doesnt serve really any viable commuting patterns interstate.

The burden in NJ is here, and real. And it definitely affects the middle/lower class quite a lot. To say its noticeably less than in MA is wrong, because I feel it and I make 50k including my stipend.
That's the argument I've been trying to make for a while now. Mass does have higher prices, but its lower taxes often offset the higher costs.

The one benefit, however, to a place like NJ or CT, is you don't need to save as much for your down payment. You may still pay as much in the long run, but those down payments can sometimes be murder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 07:39 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
When you have a 350k home in MA, you can pay as little as 3k in property taxes if it is a more urban area.

In NJ, it can be more than 10k a year. Income Tax is higher, toll roads are insane.. costs me like $15 a day to go to work in tolls alone, NJ Transit doesnt serve really any viable commuting patterns interstate.

The burden in NJ is here, and real. And it definitely affects the middle/lower class quite a lot. To say its noticeably less than in MA is wrong, because I feel it and I make 50k including my stipend.
Multiple places this is a bad argument:

#1 a 350k home in MA and a 350k home in jersey are not equivalent. Much more for options for in NJ. You should be comparing at the median SFH home price for each state if you want to be serious.

#2 mill rate varies significantly from municipality to municipality

#3 a 350k home in NJ is gonna have you close to either Philly Trenton Newark or NYC- major job centers... a 350k homes in MA there's a high chance your commute is longer to a job center.

#4 NJ Transit is heavily used and to say it's non viable for commuting is more or less the total opposite of what I've heard people raised in NJ say and it just doesn't make logical sense. It also offers longer and more frequent services as well as statewide bus service. Add to this PATH, Newark City Subway and other things like higher capacity highways...you get what you pay for.

#5 you seen the price of parking in Boston? Or a monthly CR PASS? $15 in tolls is just the cost of doing business...

#6 it's a much much much more affordable renters market in NJ which is absolutely crucial for economic mobility and upward mobility. Also over just 40% of people rent in NJ. All the tax talk is more beneficial to an older, wealthier, Whiter audience but not most people sub 35 or POC -people who usually don't own. Aka the people who need the economic leg up more acutely..

#7 need a much larger downpayment shuts many first-time and would be buyers out of the housing market entirely in MA. That's a bigger kicker for some than the tax because they can't get their foot in the door (see: Boston Shudra right now)

Those are just 7 things that immediately jumped out at me

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-16-2021 at 09:08 PM..

Old 03-16-2021, 08:03 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,697 times
Going back to the original post, I just looked at Redfin at Lynn prices. I know Lynn wasn't great when I lived in Brookline a few years ago, but the prices were actually pretty reasonable, a decent size 3 bedroom house around $350k. Anyone in a tight real estate market ( and which ones aren't tight right now ) would be smart to befriend a good realtor who can let you in on pocket listings and a heads up on future listings. That way you can make some instant equity.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:39 PM

349 posts, read 320,609 times
I was shocked at how low the density of housing was in the Boston suburbs. Weston, Winchester, Concord, Lexington as prominent examples. A lot of the same dynamics as the Bay Area where existing residents like it just the way it is. Unsurprisingly, real estate prices go up with limited supply and robust demand. I've been a broken record the past 5 years, but I believe that Boston real estate remains a great investment even at these levels.

The implications are awful for middle income and lower households though. I can definitely see the appeal of moving to the midwest or mid-atlantic where costs are cheaper.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:26 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,099 times
Reason I mentioned the eviction ban is because I think you will see a fair amount of properties become available when/if LL's are able to get non-payers evicted.

Old 03-17-2021, 07:42 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,180,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
You’re your own worst enemy. Old time locals are glad we’re not building more because they want to live in an imaginary hamlet..but at the same time bemoan prices. It doesn’t make any sense. There is abundant space it’s just utilized terribly.
I can understand old timers opposed to building. What boggles my mind are people who move into a new subdivision, then complain when the woods behind their house suddenly become another new subdivision as if they were supposed to be the last ones to be allowed into the town.

Old 03-17-2021, 07:49 AM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
I guess i am that 42 year old 'old timer' who wants more trees than people and houses around

Old 03-17-2021, 07:56 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
People often point out that the high student population is the reason for the high costs but the student population has been high for decades. I think the tech/bio boom brought more people here and had more people stay after going to school here. People move here from all over the world.
You're on the right track here. The other part of the equation is the growing income inequality.

There's a concentration of medical, (bio) tech, and finance in the area, and they in turn attract more companies and workers from these fields until Boston has become a hotbed for them.

The kind of money that these professions make, even with only a few years experience, far surpasses what many other fields make with 20-30 years experience. 20 years ago, there was a close parity with the earning power of a tradesman, an accountant, and an engineer. Today, engineers often make more than the tradesman and accountant combined. It's that widening gap that's a big part of the affordability many face.

This is also why the exploding housing cost issue is only a major issue in select cities. NYC, SF, Seattle, LA, and Boston have seen some of the highest runs on housing prices in the last 20 years, but they're not the only major cities in the US. What do they have in common? If tech/finance falls in love with a new city, it takes off.

In the next 20 years, cities like Austin and SLC will join the ranks of being too expensive for most as tech runs them up, too.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:09 AM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
There's also always been lots of medical professionals in this area due to the hospitals so that's nothing new.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:12 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
The kind of money that these professions make, even with only a few years experience, far surpasses what many other fields make with 20-30 years experience. 20 years ago, there was a close parity with the earning power of a tradesman, an accountant, and an engineer. Today, engineers often make more than the tradesman and accountant combined. It's that widening gap that's a big part of the affordability many face.
Not really. There are a lot more people with no kids and multiple incomes per household, ie: Recent College Grads with multiple roommates. Big Money buys properties and rents it out to them. Between that and the Fed pumping (and the demise of the US Dollar) makes buying assets that much more enticing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts