Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 03:45 PM

728 posts, read 973,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Youre demography is off. Stoughton is 61.0% white and 17.3% Black per 2020 Census https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/08/...n-has-changed/, about 21% when you include mixed-race blacks. Quincy is also only 54% white.

Dorchester is 35.7% Black now and 22%White. Brockton is 35.0% Black as well. Hyde Park is 46% Black and 24% white. http://www.bostonplans.org/getattach...4-0c51c325b216

Hyde Park is a city neighborhood but its a bedroom community with industry and commercial centers of suburban character. Just like Randolph and Stoughton.

Dorchester and Quincy are much more urban and contain over 100k people.
Hence why you saying Randolph is a combination of those two places is frustrating. Feel like you're adding something that isn't there. As much as people like to act like it, Randolph has been and is a suburban bedroom community. Nothing urban about it. HP is a bedroom community but absolutely has urban characteristics (as does Stoughton within the downtown area). Ain't a triple decker neighborhood anywhere in this town. And if we have any it's that one house on South Main.

Thanks for the numbers, I was trying to figure out why the Black and Mixed race number for Stoughton was so different from what I remember. That being said, we're comparing a Majority Black town to a Majority White town. I don't see White folks leaving Stoughton behind anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 03:49 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
Hence why you saying Randolph is a combination of those two places is frustrating. Feel like you're adding something that isn't there. As much as people like to act like it, Randolph has been and is a suburban bedroom community. Nothing urban about it. HP is a bedroom community but absolutely has urban characteristics (as does Stoughton within the downtown area). Ain't a triple decker neighborhood anywhere in this town. And if we have any it's that one house on South Main.

Thanks for the numbers, I was trying to figure out why the Black and Mixed race number for Stoughton was so different from what I remember. That being said, we're comparing a Majority Black town to a Majority White town. I don't see White folks leaving Stoughton behind anytime soon.
1. Randolph is a city. It voted to become a city recently. Stoughton is a town.

2. Stoughton lost (literally) 3000+ white people from 2010 to 2020. They are leaving in pretty large numbers, 1 out of every 7 white residents in Stoughton left permanently from 2010-2020. There is almost no chance its not a majority-minority community by 2030. Stoughton went from 80% white to 60% white in 10 years.

Old 10-14-2021, 03:55 PM

23,554 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
1. Randolph is a city. It voted to become a city recently. Stoughton is a town.
In the same sense that Braintree and Weymouth are, former bedroom towns that voted to become cities due to their large populations and for practical reasons. For all intents and purposes, they are still suburbs though. Mostly suburban in makeup, although Braintree and Weymouth have pockets of urban. Randolph has less.

Old 10-14-2021, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
In the same sense that Braintree and Weymouth are, former bedroom towns that voted to become cities due to their large populations and for practical reasons. For all intents and purposes, they are still suburbs though. Mostly suburban in makeup, although Braintree and Weymouth have pockets of urban. Randolph has less.
Can you say you became a city for practical reasons but are a suburbs “for all intents and purposes”. That seems contradictory.

I certainly wouldn’t say Stoughton is “urban” not even when compared to Randolph.

Old 10-14-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Can you say you became a city for practical reasons but are a suburbs “for all intents and purposes”. That seems contradictory.
Not at all. A "city" is merely a form of government. One can very much be a "suburban city". It seems to be one of those things particular to Mass./NE where people get all up in arms over these designations. Your precious bedroom community isn't going to become the next Manhattan, because you now have a mayor and city council making your decisions as opposed to a town meeting.

Old 10-14-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Not at all. A "city" is merely a form of government. One can very much be a "suburban city". It seems to be one of those things particular to Mass./NE where people get all up in arms over these designations. Your precious bedroom community isn't going to become the next Manhattan, because you now have a mayor and city council making your decisions as opposed to a town meeting.
I’d consider that a pretty big deal tbh. One promoted by city/urban concerns or planning issues. We could Google why Randolph opted for the change as I recall that’s why they did it. More “urban challenges” they thought could be better managed as a city govt.

Old 10-14-2021, 06:48 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,742 times
I don't know if it makes that much of a difference in term of efficacy of the government. Brookline is a town and a big chunk of it is basically as urban as it gets in MA.

Old 10-14-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I’d consider that a pretty big deal tbh. One promoted by city/urban concerns or planning issues. We could Google why Randolph opted for the change as I recall that’s why they did it. More “urban challenges” they thought could be better managed as a city govt.
Yes as the population grows to a certain level, a town government becomes more inefficient and inadequate for dealing with the more complex challenges. A town government (with town meeting, etc.) also relies on a certain level of civic participation that is waning everywhere, particularly in a town like Randolph where much of the current population lacks any real ties to. But I think this has more to do with population size, than whether it has urban vs. suburban characteristics. A good example is Newton. It's a large city (relative to the area), a goof 3 X the size of Randolph. Yet, I don't think anybody would mistake it for being anything other than suburban. Quincy is semi-urban. Cambridge is urban. Newton, Quincy and Cambridge are all around the same size.

Old 10-14-2021, 07:17 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,742 times
Quote:
Yes as the population grows to a certain level, a town government becomes more inefficient and inadequate for dealing with the more complex challenges. A town government (with town meeting, etc.) also relies on a certain level of civic participation that is waning everywhere, particularly in a town like Randolph where much of the current population lacks any real ties to. But I think this has more to do with population size, than whether it has urban vs. suburban characteristics. A good example is Newton. It's a large city (relative to the area), a goof 3 X the size of Randolph. Yet, I don't think anybody would mistake it for being anything other than suburban. Quincy is semi-urban. Cambridge is urban. Newton, Quincy and Cambridge are all around the same size.
Is a representative town meeting that much more inefficient than a city council-manager?

Old 10-14-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Is a representative town meeting that much more inefficient than a city council-manager?
In a community with 30K+ people, most of the time yes. There are exceptions like with anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts