Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 10:19 PM

21 posts, read 28,769 times

Advertisements

Holden is one of the places we are interested buying a house.
I'm an asian indian and my spouse is a Korean.

Any indian or asian living in Holden, i like to get your thought about your experience living here.
I know Holden does not have asian population like Shrewsbury but I would like to see how the people in this town welcome other races.

Also how about the public schools, Your kids like the schools?

I'm currently living and working in Boston and I know these suburb towns are different than city life. I'm just trying to understand how people in the town treat other races.

Since I'm going to buy a house and not want to move for decades, I want to make sure I'm choosing the right place.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2022, 06:19 AM

129 posts, read 107,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docZel2010 View Post

Any indian or asian living in Holden, i like to get your thought about your experience living here.
I know Holden does not have asian population like Shrewsbury but I would like to see how the people in this town welcome other races.

I'm currently living and working in Boston and I know these suburb towns are different than city life. I'm just trying to understand how people in the town treat other races.

Since I'm going to buy a house and not want to move for decades, I want to make sure I'm choosing the right place.

Thanks
I grew up near Holden and it is a great town. Wachusett (the school district) is a very good public school district and the town has some restaurants and and nice amenities. I don't know for sure but I would imagine Holden is pretty tolerant of all races, just gives me that vibe. It also neighbors Worcester so if you ever need anything you won't be too far away.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:25 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,888,677 times
Holden is pretty good. Probably 2nd best Worcester suburb after Shrewsbury. The schools are great. There's a pho restaurant and a Big Y. The intersection of 31 and 122A is always bad though. There is pretty OK trails and good biking.

If you are still commuting to Boston, rethink it. Your commute will be a minimum of 90 minutes each way. People do it, but its up to you if you want to spend 3-4 hours stuck in a car. So yes, it's a great place to raise a family if you never want to see them.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Holden is pretty good. Probably 2nd best Worcester suburb after Shrewsbury. The schools are great. There's a pho restaurant and a Big Y. The intersection of 31 and 122A is always bad though. There is pretty OK trails and good biking.

If you are still commuting to Boston, rethink it. Your commute will be a minimum of 90 minutes each way. People do it, but its up to you if you want to spend 3-4 hours stuck in a car. So yes, it's a great place to raise a family if you never want to see them.
Thank you very much for replying.

Why The intersection of 31 and 122A is always bad? you mean there are lots of accidents or that area is generally not safe neighborhood?

by the way I will not be traveling to Boston as my job location going to be change in few months. I will be traveling to Shrewsbury for work but Shrewsbury housings are very expensive now thats why im looking for an alternate town.

Old 01-11-2022, 11:26 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,888,677 times
Quote:
Thank you very much for replying.

Why The intersection of 31 and 122A is always bad? you mean there are lots of accidents or that area is generally not safe neighborhood?

by the way I will not be traveling to Boston as my job location going to be change in few months. I will be traveling to Shrewsbury for work but Shrewsbury housings are very expensive now thats why im looking for an alternate town.
Traffic. The rest of town flows nicely, but that intersection is just awful. If you can avoid commuting through it, life's a lot easier!

The commute to Shrewsbury can be a cake walk!

Old 01-12-2022, 08:17 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,742 times
Quote:

Thanks
I know Asians living in Holden, they like it and never had particular problems.
Between Worcester and Shrewsbury you will find a few Asian and Indians supermarket and restaurants.

As long as you don't need to be in an Indian or Korean community and are ok with your kids having mostly white friends you will be fine (the schools are really good). If you want a deeply Asian or Indian neighborhood don't bother. Even if the Asian community is growing is going to take time before it becomes sizeable.

Old 01-12-2022, 08:21 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,742 times
Quote:
There are no unsafe neighborhoods in Holden. The whole main street is kind of ****ty in term of traffic, I think in part it's just traffic but in part is a poor design.

Old 01-12-2022, 11:12 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Seems like all the suburbs west of Boston have sizable Asian populations.

Old 01-12-2022, 01:47 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Holden is great.

Old 01-12-2022, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
I know Asians living in Holden, they like it and never had particular problems.
Between Worcester and Shrewsbury you will find a few Asian and Indians supermarket and restaurants.

As long as you don't need to be in an Indian or Korean community and are ok with your kids having mostly white friends you will be fine (the schools are really good). If you want a deeply Asian or Indian neighborhood don't bother. Even if the Asian community is growing is going to take time before it becomes sizeable.
Thanks for the response!

Yes. I'm not really looking for a larger asian community. I'm OK with the majority is been white. 90% of my friends are white (In Boston). I can easily mingle with white or other races. It's just I wanted to make sure the people also in these neighborhoods are friendly and no known hates toward the other races.

Specially when we have kids, I want to make sure they will not get bullied because of the races. Thats what I wanted to know from someone who is living here and from their own experience.

Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts