Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2022, 08:42 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,071,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
The other answer nobody wants to hear is move to a cheaper location. And while I don't like the artificially inflated rental markets that enrich those who would not otherwise be enriched if left to their own devices, sometimes moving is what it takes.

What do you mean move to a cheaper location? Slinging coffee with a side of condescension and an occasional sliver of communism is a lot harder than being a CEO who only plays golf and snorts coke, I deserve to live wherever I want!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2022, 06:34 PM

88 posts, read 52,388 times
Unrelated question to this conversation,,, what is the average water/sewer monthly bill for a 3bd home or apartment here in town? I'm pretty much paying an average of >200$ and I'm just curious if this is the norm here?

Old 05-13-2022, 08:50 AM

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moh1988 View Post
Unrelated question to this conversation,,, what is the average water/sewer monthly bill for a 3bd home or apartment here in town? I'm pretty much paying an average of >200$ and I'm just curious if this is the norm here?

Each town is going to be different really, and it will vary widely.

I pay $100/qtr for my water/sewer in Peabody for a 3 BR SFH, and that includes watering my lawn and letting the kids play with the hose and water toys in the summer. My buddies in Reading pay $900/Qtr for a smaller 3BR but same usage as I.

Old 05-13-2022, 02:51 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,071,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Each town is going to be different really, and it will vary widely.

I pay $100/qtr for my water/sewer in Peabody for a 3 BR SFH, and that includes watering my lawn and letting the kids play with the hose and water toys in the summer. My buddies in Reading pay $900/Qtr for a smaller 3BR but same usage as I.

Wait, what? Water/sewer alone in Reading is $3,600/year for a small house? That’s only slightly lower than condo fees that include that along with heat, maintenance, insurance and a whole lot of other thing, dafuq!

Old 05-14-2022, 07:40 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
The minimum here is around $160/year. We’re way over that from watering all the landscaping.

Old 05-14-2022, 08:12 AM

5,096 posts, read 2,658,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moh1988 View Post
It's yet another infrastructure problem. The operational costs associated with maintaining ancient systems helps drive up costs. It's a statewide issue, although Boston itself has had relatively high water/sewer rates for quite some time.

Old 05-14-2022, 09:20 AM

845 posts, read 552,289 times
I think maintaining a big lawn (especially in the front yard) is an undesirable American tradition, probably rooted in the culture of animal husbandry.
If people can do more pavement or mulching, a lot of water can be saved.

Old 05-14-2022, 10:56 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
I think maintaining a big lawn (especially in the front yard) is an undesirable American tradition, probably rooted in the culture of animal husbandry.
If people can do more pavement or mulching, a lot of water can be saved.
Kids play on big grassy lawns. If you don't have kids or don't let your kids play outside, sure, lawns make less sense. If you live in Arizona or California, there isn't enough water to keep them alive. East of the Mississippi? You should be able to keep a lawn if you want with minimal watering.

If you think lawns are an "undesirable American tradition, probably rooted in the culture of animal husbandry" I feel like you may not understand lawns enough to make a reasoned critique of those of us who do.

Old 05-14-2022, 12:47 PM

845 posts, read 552,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Kids play on big grassy lawns. If you don't have kids or don't let your kids play outside, sure, lawns make less sense. If you live in Arizona or California, there isn't enough water to keep them alive. East of the Mississippi? You should be able to keep a lawn if you want with minimal watering.

If you think lawns are an "undesirable American tradition, probably rooted in the culture of animal husbandry" I feel like you may not understand lawns enough to make a reasoned critique of those of us who do.
Kids don’t usually play a lot in the front yard anyway. The front yard is a showcase of a family.
It actually makes more sense to have a garden in the front instead of a lawn. When I drive through a neighborhood I’d like to see beautiful gardens one after another, not some mini golf courses.

(But a garden takes a lot of time too.)

Old 05-14-2022, 12:53 PM

5,096 posts, read 2,658,571 times
I think the front yard can make or break the overall appearance of the house. Houses with more setback look markedly different than those right on the street. Maintained lawn area with some borders, flowers and shrubbery can enhance the appearance of the home. Unless it was a very elaborate garden I would think this could detract from the appearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts