Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 04:34 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times

Advertisements

Updating in case folks search this. So this was my first week. It only took a little under an hour each way on Monday and Tuesday leaving Marlborough by 7:15, but it took close to an hour and 45 on Wednesday. It's been no more than an hour home, but I've also left either a little before 5 or a little later. I've been warned that September is a mess and just to plan for it.

The great news is that my boss has made it clear that as long as I get my work done, he doesn't care what hours I work. Lots of folks have tough commutes, so people try to avoid scheduling early meetings and, if they do, it's acceptable to take the meeting from home and then come in or to take it over the phone in the car since all spaces in the office are set up for Zoom. I've been getting in at 8:15 or 8:30, but most folks don't trickle in until at least 9:30 and the place is a ghosttown by 4:30. It's not that people are working shorter hours, just that they catch up on email in the morning or evening from home to handle the commute. It feels very... humane. And multiple colleagues, including my boss, told me not to worry about working a schedule that works for me just because I'm new.

I think I'm going to forgo the commuter rail for now. My parking lot is less than a block from work and with the disaster that is the T (including the train I would have been taking having folks jumping out of it and scaling a fence when the AC turned off during a breakdown), the slight reduction of commute stress isn't worth the extra time it would take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 06:05 PM

943 posts, read 410,072 times
This sounds all amazing. Congrats on the new job!!

Old 08-04-2022, 06:22 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,412 times
Sounds like what many folks predicted. The T is a joke unless you are within walking distance. And even then there are major issues as we've been reminded of lately.

Old 08-05-2022, 05:13 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The great news is that my boss has made it clear that as long as I get my work done, he doesn't care what hours I work. Lots of folks have tough commutes, so people try to avoid scheduling early meetings and, if they do, it's acceptable to take the meeting from home and then come in or to take it over the phone in the car since all spaces in the office are set up for Zoom. I've been getting in at 8:15 or 8:30, but most folks don't trickle in until at least 9:30 and the place is a ghosttown by 4:30. It's not that people are working shorter hours, just that they catch up on email in the morning or evening from home to handle the commute. It feels very... humane. And multiple colleagues, including my boss, told me not to worry about working a schedule that works for me just because I'm new.
I do something similar - am in the financial district office between 8:30-9a and I leave by 4-4:30p.

Sounds like a great culture and setup for you. Congrats again!

Old 08-05-2022, 05:45 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,481 times
Though I am salary, I have always been in a field where 8.5-9 hours is expected due to billing hours out. Our office was empty by 430 too but it was full by 7am. This is engineering consulting and construction. Should have picked a different industry!

Last edited by Boston_Burbs; 08-05-2022 at 06:22 AM..

Old 08-05-2022, 06:02 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Hour 45 both ways sounds more realistic. Pike traffic might still be depressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts