Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tax on Income Above $1 Million for Education and Transportation Amendment
Yes 21 52.50%
No 19 47.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2022, 01:39 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I find it hard to believe that all these voters in MA who voted Democrat were old. Sure some of them were but a high percentage of boomers in MA are Republican as well.
I don't. It's a fairly well educated state.

But the data will come out so we won't need to guess, for long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2022, 01:40 PM

16,416 posts, read 8,223,904 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Didn’t want to get into the weeds in that more realistic level because it makes no difference to me.

Suffice to say I feel no empathy about going from $1,515,000 to $1,447,000. I’m very very unmoved. For a myriad of reasons. If that individual is that selfish that they’d uproot for New Hampshire or, God forbid, Florida. Then why would you even want to associate with them?

Given the prosperity and obvious desirability of the state they will likely be replaced with an equally successful and more civic-minded person and/or business owner.

The state needs to ramp up the success level of its bottom schools (MA is beginning to lag a bit and see a widening achievement gap) and electrify the commuter rail as soon as possible. MA also needs climate defense. This is needed. The budget surplus was a one time deal that hasn’t happened in over 35 years.
The schools will not be getting any better with all of the people who come here not speaking English with their kids. Also expect to see more white folks sending their kids to private schools.

Old 11-09-2022, 01:42 PM

16,416 posts, read 8,223,904 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't. It's a fairly well educated state.

But the data will come out so we won't need to guess, for long.
Doesnt matter how educated it is. Lots of people with advanced degrees voted Republican as well (not just MA)

You liberal dems love to boast how well educated MA is. Welp just keep letting in all those uneducated south americans who dont speak a word of english and see how educated MA continues to be.

Old 11-09-2022, 01:43 PM

14,023 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/11/..._tax'_will

Passed. nearly all the remaining towns will likely vote yes. So It'll end up being 52.0%-52.1% in favor Much closer than polls thought. But this was a very low turnout election.
I also think the state bragging about cutting checks for 13% of your state taxes last year may have undercut the message that “omg we need money”. Even Healey was campaigning on cutting taxes.

Hopefully if she does it’s the Sales/meals tax since it’s the most regressive.

(Also congrats City-data pooling was better than actual polling stats in this question)

Old 11-09-2022, 02:16 PM

122 posts, read 82,057 times
Quote:
Didn’t want to get into the weeds in that more realistic level because it makes no difference to me.

Suffice to say I feel no empathy about going from $1,515,000 to $1,447,000. I’m very very unmoved. For a myriad of reasons. If that individual is that selfish that they’d uproot for New Hampshire or, God forbid, Florida. Then why would you even want to associate with them?

Given the prosperity and obvious desirability of the state they will likely be replaced with an equally successful and more civic-minded person and/or business owner.

The state needs to ramp up the success level of its bottom schools (MA is beginning to lag a bit and see a widening achievement gap) and electrify the commuter rail as soon as possible. MA also needs climate defense. This is needed. The budget surplus was a one time deal that hasn’t happened in over 35 years.
The left shows its hypocrisy. It is deeply insulting that the same people who campaigned for this proposition with a deeply selfish message (they were literally sending text messages telling recipients to votes yes because they would not be impacted, so why care) are calling those impacted selfish for complaining.

As another poster already mentioned, there is no correlation between outcomes and spending in education. This is just an example, but DC is ahead of all States in spending per pupil and behind all of them in outcomes. More spending in education will only accrue to unionized teachers.

The State's prosperity depends on a few key contributors. It is not spread uniformly. If the top earners leave they will not be replaced by similar caliber folks. As another poster already mention, they will be replaced by South American illegal immigrants.

This election is a very worrisome turn for the worse for MA. We are heading the way of Illinois unfortunately.

Old 11-09-2022, 02:19 PM

23,580 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I also think the state bragging about cutting checks for 13% of your state taxes last year may have undercut the message that “omg we need money”. Even Healey was campaigning on cutting taxes.

Hopefully if she does it’s the Sales/meals tax since it’s the most regressive.

(Also congrats City-data pooling was better than actual polling stats in this question)
Yeah "$3 billion surplus so we need to raise taxes another billion". That so many people were duped by this just shows how much we need to get back to teaching the basics in school again. I mean seriously, is this "common core" math???

Old 11-09-2022, 02:32 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Quote:
The schools will not be getting any better with all of the people who come here not speaking English with their kids. Also expect to see more white folks sending their kids to private schools.
We’ll need more money for ELL to keep our students competitive and well educated. In general- public schools in Mass have become much more diverse since ~2005 where previous to that there had been be re slow incremental changes. the % of student on free lunch increases every year. Those students need more $$ per capita. The reality is within 10 years a third of our students will be Latino and within about 5/6 years half of our students will be minorities are at about 45% today. I don’t really expect to see more white children in private schools just less of them every year due to birth rate. The need of MA students will change and this gives the leeway to help protect against sagging performance.

It’s not a zero sum game/racial war. You just adjust to the reality confronting you.

Old 11-09-2022, 02:35 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Doesnt matter how educated it is. Lots of people with advanced degrees voted Republican as well (not just MA)

You liberal dems love to boast how well educated MA is. Welp just keep letting in all those uneducated south americans who dont speak a word of english and see how educated MA continues to be.

Sure, there are some morally bankrupt people with advanced degrees. No doubt.

And welcome future bilignual residents. We need you, your hard work ethic, and your youth.

Old 11-09-2022, 02:40 PM

14,023 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclel View Post
The left shows its hypocrisy. It is deeply insulting that the same people who campaigned for this proposition with a deeply selfish message (they were literally sending text messages telling recipients to votes yes because they would not be impacted, so why care) are calling those impacted selfish for complaining.

As another poster already mentioned, there is no correlation between outcomes and spending in education. This is just an example, but DC is ahead of all States in spending per pupil and behind all of them in outcomes. More spending in education will only accrue to unionized teachers.

The State's prosperity depends on a few key contributors. It is not spread uniformly. If the top earners leave they will not be replaced by similar caliber folks. As another poster already mention, they will be replaced by South American illegal immigrants.

This election is a very worrisome turn for the worse for MA. We are heading the way of Illinois unfortunately.
Trust me, I’ve worked in NH and worked in Boston. The recruiting is so much easier in Boston it’s not even funny. If you’re gonna start a business 100% of people who can will choose Mass.

Now WFH professionals that somehow make 1,000,000+ yes they might bolt.

On the margins I think NYC is a bigger threat. If NY and Boston taxes converge the human capital advantage could push people there

But overall I think the impact will be at a minimum especially since an underrated amount of Millionaires are like car dealership owners on RT 9 or Dunkin’ Franchises on the South shore. Where you can’t just move.

I was mostly skeptical because it seemed unnecessary considering the median income trajectory of Massachusetts we should be able to have the money without raising taxes. (Not to mention it really is an issue our infrastructure costs are like 3x that of peer countries) something like streamlining review processes for Housing, infrastructure and energy projects would go much further than throwing money at it.

“You want to keep your parking on State Rt 28 instead of a bus lane? Well just F you we aren’t wasting months on meeting and consultants we are just doing it kind of thing would save tons of money.

Old 11-09-2022, 02:43 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:

See how blatantly biased this is? Equating not speaking English to a lack of education?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts