Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2022, 06:59 AM

3 posts, read 6,257 times

Advertisements

We're trying to find a house within the next year since our eldest starts Kindergarten in the fall. We're in Boston now, we generally like living in/near the city, but we're in a small condo and we want more space. We also think we want to avoid BPS.

Our ideal town within reach is Milton. We like how close it is to the city, the schools, and I really value the diversity. However, I also like the idea of living below our means and moving to a less expensive town if possible. The only thing is my husband is hung up on moving to some of the top tier school districts (Milton, Acton, Wayland, Sharon, being a few on the list of places with both good schools that we could afford to buy in). I want them to have a great education but I am also more wary of them being in a pressure cooker environment.

I know that school rankings are imperfect so I'd love to get a sense for how schools are in towns like Beverly, Watertown, Medford, and Woburn. Do kids near the top of the class have all the same opportunities as students in the pricier towns? Do the schools have a good sense of community? Do kids get admitted to "elite" colleges from there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2022, 07:59 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,423,982 times
Top students in any community have the same opportunities.

The valedictorian from this year's Beverly graduating class is at Vassar. Watertown is at Hamilton College. Medford is at Harvard. Woburn is at University of Virginia.

There is no guarantee, of course, that your child will be a top student, regardless of where you live.

Old 09-26-2022, 11:55 AM

181 posts, read 123,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post

The valedictorian from this year's Beverly graduating class is at Vassar. Watertown is at Hamilton College. Medford is at Harvard. Woburn is at University of Virginia.

There is no guarantee, of course, that your child will be a top student, regardless of where you live.
this ^^

Old 09-26-2022, 12:15 PM

604 posts, read 560,920 times
Of these, I'd be most hesitant about Medford. Medford's city government and finances are a mess. Not that much industrial base coming in and the property taxes are very low. Also there is kind of a very slow and messy entrenched-townie vs new blood transition going on in city government. If you do private schools, though, it is a fantastic option (proximity to Cambridge/Somerville and Boston, I-93, etc)

That said, Michael Bloomberg went to Medford High

Watertown is underrated in almost all aspects. There's a reason so many young couples move there when they get priced out of Camberville.

Old 09-26-2022, 09:44 PM

531 posts, read 424,384 times
Quote:

Totally agree. I’m from Georgetown and I had kids in my dorm from Haverhill, Peabody, and Lynn as well as Andover, Lexington, Sharon, Weston, and Wayland. (And no, I didn’t go to UMASS or college in MA at all for that matter.)

Of the towns OP listed, my personal preference would be Beverly. I’m not sure it necessarily has the best school system, but I think it’s the prettiest and has the best downtown.

By the way, where can you check to see where the valedictorians from each town went to school? Is that public info that’s listed out somewhere or do you have to hunt down the graduation section of each town’s local paper and see if their colleges are listed?!

Old 09-27-2022, 05:36 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,423,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post

By the way, where can you check to see where the valedictorians from each town went to school?
Is that public info that’s listed out somewhere or do you have to hunt down the graduation section of each town’s local paper and see if their colleges are listed?!

I Googled "2022 town ma valedictorian", got that name and then searched on that. Not that hard. All of the towns above were young women, I thought that was interesting.

Old 09-27-2022, 05:40 AM

Quote:
I Googled "2022 town ma valedictorian", got that name and then searched on that. Not that hard. All of the towns above were young women, I thought that was interesting.
Makes sense. I’ll do some googling today. I’m curious myself!

Old 09-27-2022, 07:47 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
Makes sense. I’ll do some googling today. I’m curious myself!
I believe the Boston Globe publishes a comprehensive section on this every year, but you may need to be a subscriber.

Old 09-27-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I believe the Boston Globe publishes a comprehensive section on this every year, but you may need to be a subscriber.
Good to know-I’ll try that too. Thanks!

Old 09-28-2022, 07:33 AM

5 posts, read 6,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyLemon View Post
We're trying to find a house within the next year since our eldest starts Kindergarten in the fall. We're in Boston now, we generally like living in/near the city, but we're in a small condo and we want more space. We also think we want to avoid BPS.

Our ideal town within reach is Milton. We like how close it is to the city, the schools, and I really value the diversity. However, I also like the idea of living below our means and moving to a less expensive town if possible. I get additional info to write my research paper. hung up on moving to top tier school districts (Milton, Acton, Wayland, Sharon, being a few on the list of places with both good schools that we could afford to buy in). I want them to have a great education but I am also more wary of them being in a pressure cooker environment.

I know that school rankings are imperfect so I'd love to get a sense for how schools are in towns like Beverly, Watertown, Medford, and Woburn. Do kids near the top of the class have all the same opportunities as students in the pricier towns? Do the schools have a good sense of community? Do kids get admitted to "elite" colleges from there?
As far as I know, the situation you, Funky, described was some years ago. New teen professors have come, and students have a bigger interest and opportunity to study. The old ones couldn't involve pupils and students in a productive study process. The hired professors are much better, so don't be afraid of schools in Beverly (the situation I wrote about is from this city, about the educational institutions from the rest locations, I have no info).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts