Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 12:34 AM

7 posts, read 6,220 times

Advertisements

HI All,

We are looking to buy a house in MetroWest, with a good to great school system, has connections via train to the city due to work and can allow us to go north/south easily. We have two kids, 5 and 2.5 and currently rent in Natick, the market here is still hot for decent houses, so looking elsewhere. In this regards, Littleton, seems to be fairly priced and well located, decent starter houses in the 500-600 range. The school system looks pretty decent. Is it worth moving there with young kids or better to rent for now? Looked like a town where folks have been living for a long while....but then see things developing and wondering if it is just hidden due to Acton, Boxborough, westford surrounding it. ANy help is greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2022, 04:55 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,765 times
There's a reason Littleton is cheaper... the commute sucks.

Old 11-23-2022, 06:42 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,888,677 times
Littleton is great, if you are working on 495 or near Alewife or North Station.
Getting to 128 on Rte 2 can be bad.

Should you buy now? Well that's a loaded question... Is it overpriced? That's the best question. About 8 years ago, you could still get starter homes there for $200-300k!
Do you think the prices will crash in the next 3-4 years depending on how young your kids are - "young" could be anywhere from 1-4.75 and starting Kindergarten in 9 months...

Old 11-23-2022, 08:02 AM

432 posts, read 414,247 times
Bring your kids up to Castle in the Trees playground on a sunny afternoon and you will get a good taste of the community. Usually packed with families.
The IBM redevelopment should bring some big changes.

Old 11-23-2022, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Littleton is great, if you are working on 495 or near Alewife or North Station.
Getting to 128 on Rte 2 can be bad.

Should you buy now? Well that's a loaded question... Is it overpriced? That's the best question. About 8 years ago, you could still get starter homes there for $200-300k!
Do you think the prices will crash in the next 3-4 years depending on how young your kids are - "young" could be anywhere from 1-4.75 and starting Kindergarten in 9 months...

My office is moving to Chelmsford...right off at the 495/3 intersection and I can telecommute when i want to. My wife works from home for now, so hoping commute will not be a problem. That is why I am open to Littleton too.

I have debated the should I buy or wait question for a long while....feel once my daughter starts school, it will disrupt her and would like to avoid it if we can....

Old 11-23-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
Bring your kids up to Castle in the Trees playground on a sunny afternoon and you will get a good taste of the community. Usually packed with families.
The IBM redevelopment should bring some big changes.

Thanks!!! This is good information. I probably will come that way this weekend, will bring my kids to the playground to see what happens.

Old 11-23-2022, 09:30 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,122,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyinMA View Post
My office is moving to Chelmsford...right off at the 495/3 intersection and I can telecommute when i want to. My wife works from home for now, so hoping commute will not be a problem. That is why I am open to Littleton too.

I have debated the should I buy or wait question for a long while....feel once my daughter starts school, it will disrupt her and would like to avoid it if we can....
Your original posts mentions train to the city due to work, but if this is not the case then it sounds like a good spot.

Whether to buy now or later...nobody knows. Financially, if you can afford the house and plan to stay for a while, it's probably not terrible timing, it just might not be "the best" but you will only know in hindsight. It could also be a great time now compared to a couple years from now.

Old 11-23-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
Your original posts mentions train to the city due to work, but if this is not the case then it sounds like a good spot.

Whether to buy now or later...nobody knows. Financially, if you can afford the house and plan to stay for a while, it's probably not terrible timing, it just might not be "the best" but you will only know in hindsight. It could also be a great time now compared to a couple years from now.

Thanks!!! Yes, the office moves only late summer of 2023. So till then, I will have to telecommute or drive in/train....that is why I asked.

Old 11-23-2022, 11:34 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyinMA View Post

Littleton has been high growth, because there is little growth left in neighboring Acton and Westford (self inflicted). It was just next in line.

Towns like Westford and Acton have historically been great investments. The homes have seen stable appreciation across three decades. They weren't part of the gold rush post '08 crash, because they don't offer walkability or close access to the city. But, onward and upward they went, largely because of school systems and access to 495/95 jobs. That was in stark contrast to some towns further north and south, who aren't as well positioned to get to those 495/95 business hubs. Though they too have caught up, as all of Eastern MA has found a healthier equilibrium with WFH.

All of that to say, I'd think Littleton is a safe investment. Commuter access, new High School, highly rated district, strong median income vs. median home price. The most drastic correction prediction that I've seen in Massachusetts is around -5%. You could easily make that up in quick sweat equity. Now, I'm not sure what kind of house/neighborhood $500k will get you. I know in Westford, $500-$600k gets you a cottage on the north side of town or a smaller house on a main rd. Acton much of the same.

Out of curiosity, why not Chelmsford? It's a large, family friendly, commuter suburb, and is a bit easier on the wallet than Westford and Acton as well. Schools aren't tops in the state like those other towns, but they're strong enough. I can't imagine it'd be much different than Natick schools. It may surprise some people, but the median Income is $117k, with household income pushing $140k. So plenty of folks, in your price range, elect Chelmsford every day. And it's that much easier to get to places like Burlington.

Last edited by mwj119; 11-23-2022 at 11:45 AM..

Old 11-23-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Littleton has been high growth, because there is little growth left in neighboring Acton and Westford (self inflicted). It was just next in line.

Towns like Westford and Acton have historically been great investments. The homes have seen stable appreciation across three decades. They weren't part of the gold rush post '08 crash, because they don't offer walkability or close access to the city. But, onward and upward they went, largely because of school systems and access to 495/95 jobs. That was in stark contrast to some towns further north and south, who aren't as well positioned to get to those 495/95 business hubs. Though they too have caught up, as all of Eastern MA has found a healthier equilibrium with WFH.

All of that to say, I'd think Littleton is a safe investment. Commuter access, new High School, highly rated district, strong median income vs. median home price. The most drastic correction prediction that I've seen in Massachusetts is around -5%. You could easily make that up in quick sweat equity. Now, I'm not sure what kind of house/neighborhood $500k will get you. I know in Westford, $500-$600k gets you a cottage on the north side of town or a smaller house on a main rd. Acton much of the same.

Out of curiosity, why not Chelmsford? It's a large, family friendly, commuter suburb, and is a bit easier on the wallet than Westford and Acton as well. Schools aren't tops in the state like those other towns, but they're strong enough. I can't imagine it'd be much different than Natick schools. It may surprise some people, but the median Income is $117k, with household income pushing $140k. So plenty of folks, in your price range, elect Chelmsford every day. And it's that much easier to get to places like Burlington.

Debated Chelmsford, most of my customers I go to visit regularly are more west/south of the city and to Connecticut/NYC. Also if I do choose to change work, companies I like are either in the Burlington/Bedford/Acton/ Chelmsford area or towards Westborough/Waltham. So kind of trying to pick a central location. Also, total ignorance of Chelmsford. Will do some homework on Chelmsford too. Thanks for the info on Chelmsford
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts