Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2023, 08:07 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Not enough, apparently, as prices have kept going up. It’s like the old Yogi Berra quote “nobody goes there anymore, it’s too crowded”.
I think the area has become a place for the very wealthy (from all over) to invest their money in real estate. Sure there are some who want to be here and live here but the amount that people spend on homes seems insane sometimes. Example:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...86988523_zpid/

That house is now completely gone. Torn down. So whoever bought it had 6M and is now putting in more money to build a new house. People have money that I couldn't imagine around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 08:33 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Are basements that desirable? I always worry that ours will flood. We also have to worry about radon. There's no way I'd ever get it finished, too many horror stories about water in the basement. My plumber's own water heater leaked and flooded his basement! A finished basement also raises taxes by a lot. I guess it's convenient to have the water heater and boiler down there instead of the garage.
Yes, basements are desirable. Buy a house where the lot doesn't flood.

Old 06-05-2023, 08:38 AM

257 posts, read 258,003 times
Quote:
The mall has a violent attack every year so there's that. If you have to commute to Boston, it's a 90 min drive home on 93 South. The red line works for some but the parking garage fills up fast, you have to be super early or take an Uber there.
90 min drive from Boston to Braintree? I’m sorry, but that isn’t accurate. Braintree has some beautiful neighborhoods around Thayer Academy and you can avoid going to the mall.

Old 06-05-2023, 08:46 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southshorebound View Post
90 min drive from Boston to Braintree? I’m sorry, but that isn’t accurate. Braintree has some beautiful neighborhoods around Thayer Academy and you can avoid going to the mall.
Yes 90min during rush hour, or anytime after 2:30pm in the summer when everyone goes to the cape.

Old 06-05-2023, 08:53 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I drive Bedford to Providence on Fridays after 2PM and that's always been less than 2 hours.

Old 06-05-2023, 08:53 AM

Have you ever driven from Braintree to Boston? Right now it's saying it would take 28 min. If it ever took 90 minutes that is a really bad day. There is going to be traffic from anywhere to get into Boston...Braintree is not a bad commute into the city.

Old 06-05-2023, 08:55 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Have you ever driven from Braintree to Boston? Right now it's saying it would take 28 min. If it ever took 90 minutes that is a really bad day. There is going to be traffic from anywhere to get into Boston...Braintree is not a bad commute into the city.
Yes I used to live in south shore. Right now is not rush hour.

Old 06-05-2023, 09:00 AM

It doesn't take 90 minutes.

Old 06-05-2023, 09:18 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Quote:
Are basements that desirable? I always worry that ours will flood. We also have to worry about radon. There's no way I'd ever get it finished, too many horror stories about water in the basement. My plumber's own water heater leaked and flooded his basement! A finished basement also raises taxes by a lot. I guess it's convenient to have the water heater and boiler down there instead of the garage.
Basements are so ubiquitous in New England that there's lots of ways (that cost money) to mitigate problems. There are Radon mitigation systems and drainage/sump pump systems.

My basement was finished cheaply by the previous owners and we never used it or furnished it (it had electrical, drywall, basic drop ceilings, concrete floor was painted with garage floor paint) but after the kids came and COVID hit we made it into a great space that effectively added 700sqft for use. We turned about 1/3 of it into a playroom by putting down interlocking foam floor tiles used for home gyms and the rest into an office and TV area by putting down large area rugs and basic furniture.

There's no heat so it does get a little chilly in the winter but it would be difficult to go back to not using the space.

I just did my second Radon test last year (first one was before we bought) and plan to do that every few years. The risk of flooding from the outside is minimal since I had done some research and there had not been any issues since the house was built but if a pipe burst inside the house there would certainly be a mess, which is why I do my best to maintain the pipes in the winter, make sure all valves are working properly, and setting up water detection alarms around key areas. The risk will never be zero but that's the tradeoff to having this space.

Old 06-05-2023, 09:19 AM

3,626 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think the area has become a place for the very wealthy (from all over) to invest their money in real estate. Sure there are some who want to be here and live here but the amount that people spend on homes seems insane sometimes. Example:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...86988523_zpid/

That house is now completely gone. Torn down. So whoever bought it had 6M and is now putting in more money to build a new house. People have money that I couldn't imagine around here.
OMG why would anyone tear down that gorgeous house?! Over-consumption to the highest degree.... I guess 4,000 sq ft with great views wasn't enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts