Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2023, 05:59 AM

365 posts, read 141,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Town Square Diner in Norwood.
In all my years spending time in the area, I don't know that I've ever been. How's it on a typical weekend morning? Crazy busy or is it realistic to walk in and get a seat? I may need to try this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2023, 06:03 AM

3,219 posts, read 2,124,379 times
Deluxe Town Diner in Watertown has always been a favorite of mine. I haven't been in a couple years since I moved, but it was always constantly good with a lot of menu options.

Old 08-24-2023, 06:29 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,307 times
It's amazing how few good casual breakfast spots we have around here. When I lived in that area, Charlie's Sandwich in the south end was a favorite for breakfast. Unfortunately it was sold and the original family no longer runs the restaurant. The current iteration is a shadow of it former self. Ditto for Mike and Patty's.

We go to the Neighborhood Restaurant in Union Square frequently. I'm worried this place is going to get gentrified out like every good local joint. Brookline Lunch (Cambridge) is excellent. Anywhere with their own hot sauce is good by me. Mass Ave Diner in Cambridge is also somewhere we currently go. It's has a somewhat limited menu, but it's local and a no frills breakfast counter which I prefer.

For lunch, again, reasonable sandwich spots have died off. I used to get the lunch specials from Cafe Sushi a lot. Unfortunately, they never reopened for dine in service after covid, and I don't think they even offer take out for lunch currently. With the weather turning cooler, I'll be at Tsurumen in Davis for ramen frequently. I like the sandwiches and salads from Dave's Fresh Pasta too.

Old 08-24-2023, 06:35 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced_Coffee View Post
In all my years spending time in the area, I don't know that I've ever been. How's it on a typical weekend morning? Crazy busy or is it realistic to walk in and get a seat? I may need to try this.
I may choose weird hours, but I’ve never had more than a five or ten minute wait.

Being cash. I think they don’t accept credit cards.

Old 08-24-2023, 06:58 AM

531 posts, read 425,617 times
Middle St Foods is fantastic. Many moons ago the owner ran a catering business and I worked for him on college breaks. Super nice guy and an excellent chef. I believe his wife does a lot of the desserts and pastries.

As far as Abramham’s—I kind of don’t get the hype. The bagels are pretty good, but they tend to put way too much cream cheese on. We usually ask for light on the spread.

We really like FM Cafe by the rotary and Mad Martha’s on PI (if you can find a parking spot).

As far as other local places, Best Bagel in Georgetown is good. Theo’s (also in Georgetown) was great, but they closed. A-1 Deli in Haverhill does a pretty decent breakfast too. Connie’s Stagecoach in Salisbury had excellent omelettes, but we haven’t been since owners changed hands back around 2017-ish. Oh, and I have heard excellent things about Luigi's in Peabody.

Last edited by Remy11; 08-24-2023 at 07:16 AM..

Old 08-24-2023, 07:52 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Danish Pastry House in Medford is fantastic for coffee and a pastry for breakfast. They used to make a range of paninis (on their own bread) and both sweet and savory crepes, but last time I was there it didn't seem like they are doing that anymore. Maybe only a weekend thing? Service is a bit slow, especially during the school year since it's across the street from Tufts, but I still swing by every time I'm in the neighborhood for a thebirkes..
This is a great spot. My first Somerville apartment was only a few minutes walk from it and we'd go almost every weekend. I never had a panini there, but the coffee and pastries were very good. I haven't been in a few years, but I'd love to give it another shot if I'm ever over there.

Old 08-24-2023, 08:00 AM

17,743 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Deluxe Town Diner in Watertown has always been a favorite of mine. I haven't been in a couple years since I moved, but it was always constantly good with a lot of menu options.
Let me guess...you moved to Newton?

Old 08-24-2023, 08:07 AM

365 posts, read 141,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I used to go there on and off when I lived in Watertown. Also liked Uncommon Grounds for breakfast. Lots of great spots in that small area - shout out to Massis, Arax, Sevan, Emilio's, Stella's, Cha Yen, and RIP Andreas.

Old 08-24-2023, 09:45 AM

721 posts, read 996,878 times
Zaftigs in Brookline. Johnny's in Newton.

Old 08-24-2023, 09:48 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
It's amazing how few good casual breakfast spots we have around here. When I lived in that area, Charlie's Sandwich in the south end was a favorite for breakfast. Unfortunately it was sold and the original family no longer runs the restaurant. The current iteration is a shadow of it former self. Ditto for Mike and Patty's.

We go to the Neighborhood Restaurant in Union Square frequently. I'm worried this place is going to get gentrified out like every good local joint. Brookline Lunch (Cambridge) is excellent. Anywhere with their own hot sauce is good by me. Mass Ave Diner in Cambridge is also somewhere we currently go. It's has a somewhat limited menu, but it's local and a no frills breakfast counter which I prefer.

For lunch, again, reasonable sandwich spots have died off. I used to get the lunch specials from Cafe Sushi a lot. Unfortunately, they never reopened for dine in service after covid, and I don't think they even offer take out for lunch currently. With the weather turning cooler, I'll be at Tsurumen in Davis for ramen frequently. I like the sandwiches and salads from Dave's Fresh Pasta too.

I miss the Rosebud Diner and their breakfasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts