Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 11:53 AM

18,741 posts, read 33,468,225 times

Advertisements

If it was the chip, it could be some allergy. Like to Blue 1. Just doesn't sound like the chip could kill someone, adult or anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2023, 11:59 AM

15,832 posts, read 20,621,255 times
This article says whatever reaction he had occured approx 4:30PM. No idea how much time had passed since consuming the chip.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ge/ar-AA1ghmLX

Old 09-05-2023, 12:00 PM

1,462 posts, read 665,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
If it was the chip, it could be some allergy. Like to Blue 1. Just doesn't sound like the chip could kill someone, adult or anyone.
I hear ya but I would think if it were an allergy severe enough to cause death it would have been an immediate reaction. Not hours after but I could be wrong...

Old 09-05-2023, 12:07 PM

15,832 posts, read 20,621,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
I hear ya but I would think if it were an allergy severe enough to cause death it would have been an immediate reaction. Not hours after but I could be wrong...

Most often it's immediate, or within 15-30 mins. There can be a longer delay in rare cases.

Old 09-05-2023, 12:33 PM

16,736 posts, read 8,450,725 times
I know food coloring is considered not good for kids and I always thought it was red food coloring. I have to say that once kids turn 5 I'm not sure how much parents care about this food dye thing unless they're particularly anal about food ? It's hard to avoid at any holiday, birthday party, really many events these days. if you're that parent that doesnt allow your kids to consume sugar or eat anything with dye in it, it's pretty noticeable.

this seems to be a whole other thing and is about the spice of the food. I am not a physician but I'm guessing there was an underlying issue. I've know people who could eat 10 alarm jalapenos and not feel a thing....this seems odd.

Old 09-05-2023, 12:57 PM

15,885 posts, read 21,497,607 times
I know some of those super spicy things feel like they're burning a hole in your stomach, but can they actually?

I can definitely understand being in real pain afterward. When I was studying abroad in Mexico I had a particularly hateful homestay mom who say me as a nuisance and a paycheck and nothing more. She seemed to relish in feeding me foods that she wouldn't eat herself, knowing that there was no way I'd refuse because I didn't want to be rude. We're talking beef heart, cow brain tacos, grasshoppers (joke's on her - loved those!), and all kinds of other organ meats that I never once saw her or her kids eat, but I endeavored to finish my plate. The final straw was when she made something incredibly spicy. I was hicupping, sweating, crying, wheezing, choking after a few bites... the whole shebang. My spice tolerance is really high - I easily complete the Hot Ones Challenge annually as a fundraiser and get full heat at Szechuan restaurants- but this about broke me. And that was nothing compared to the cramps when it hit my intestines a few hours later, or what it felt like when escaping my body. I swear she smirked as she chowed down on her much more typical dinner of coffee and pan dulce.

It was painful, but I wouldn't say it felt like heart attack pain. Then again, I'd guess it wasn't nearly as spicy as the One Chip Challenge.

Old 09-05-2023, 01:03 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I know some of those super spicy things feel like they're burning a hole in your stomach, but can they actually?

I can definitely understand being in real pain afterward. When I was studying abroad in Mexico I had a particularly hateful homestay mom who say me as a nuisance and a paycheck and nothing more. She seemed to relish in feeding me foods that she wouldn't eat herself, knowing that there was no way I'd refuse because I didn't want to be rude. We're talking beef heart, cow brain tacos, grasshoppers (joke's on her - loved those!), and all kinds of other organ meats that I never once saw her or her kids eat, but I endeavored to finish my plate. The final straw was when she made something incredibly spicy. I was hicupping, sweating, crying, wheezing, choking after a few bites... the whole shebang. My spice tolerance is really high - I easily complete the Hot Ones Challenge annually as a fundraiser and get full heat at Szechuan restaurants- but this about broke me. And that was nothing compared to the cramps when it hit my intestines a few hours later, or what it felt like when escaping my body. I swear she smirked as she chowed down on her much more typical dinner of coffee and pan dulce.

It was painful, but I wouldn't say it felt like heart attack pain. Then again, I'd guess it wasn't nearly as spicy as the One Chip Challenge.
But we are ok with having migrants from that country coming here by the millions? sounds good.

Glad to hear you survived the bad spicy food.

Old 09-05-2023, 01:15 PM

10,061 posts, read 15,731,807 times
Quote:
Something is making me a little skeptical about this situation.

Old 09-05-2023, 01:18 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Something is making me a little skeptical about this situation.
I'm curious to hear about the autopsy.

We've been hearing for years that people 'died of covid'...but it was actually due to an underlying issue.

Old 09-05-2023, 01:49 PM

17,678 posts, read 15,392,219 times
Quote:
What in the world? Without any credible information they put the company at risk like that. Here are the ingredients:

Ingredients: Blue Corn, Sunflower and/or Safflower, Carolina Reaper Pepper, Scorpion Chile Pepper, Sea Salt and Blue 1.

I am very sorry for this tragic incident but it's very irresponsible to point the blame at a chip company IMO. It seems unlikely (of course anything is possible) that eating the spicy chip was the truly the cause.

The current chip does not have Blue 1 in it. That was in the 2022 variety because people were faking eating the chip.

So, a blue food coloring was added that turned the tongue blue so that it could be 'proven' that you actually ate the chip.

Shortness of breath and things of that nature.. In general, are likely more psychosomatic than anything. It's like taking a drink of massively hot coffee (Times 100) and not being able to spit it out for 5 minutes. You just won't be spitting out the top layers of 'skin' from the inside of your mouth.

The cramps are not uncommon, either. A few people have written up the mechanism that causes it.. I've just always put it down to the fact that you're eating this one chip.. Probably on an empty or semi-empty stomach and.. Basically, your intestines are saying "Nope, you can just go **** yourself with that"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts