Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 12:38 AM

3,462 posts, read 1,591,608 times

Advertisements

Tube of terror 13 million Scoville units.....

https://youtu.be/H3VADzUtffg?si=Sk7oF5TPcoZXcMEk

You have ten minutes to eat all the peanuts and can't drink or eat anything for 5 minutes. People have eaten multiple tubes . The people who do these hot challenges say this is the worst.

When it's that hot no bread or milk is going to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2023, 03:53 AM

5,017 posts, read 10,728,211 times
There’s a reason that these chips are referred to as a “one chip challenge.” It seems that the company was aware of what it was doing (ie. marketing a very spicy chip to a young demographic) when it devised and put them on the market.

FWIW, spicy food can kill:
https://www.nbcnews.com/healthmain/c...-you-1c6437161

Did the company know that the chip could kill someone? Who knows. But there are a lot of unscrupulous people and companies out there who put profits over the welfare of consumers. The company will most likely plead ignorance to deny culpability.

If the autopsy shows that the boy died from the chip, the mother should sue, especially because the company will probably massively profit from this kid’s death, as many thrill seekers attempt the “one chip challenge that killed a kid.”

Old 09-06-2023, 04:08 PM

12,609 posts, read 9,745,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
There’s a reason that these chips are referred to as a “one chip challenge.” It seems that the company was aware of what it was doing (ie. marketing a very spicy chip to a young demographic) when it devised and put them on the market.

FWIW, spicy food can kill:
https://www.nbcnews.com/healthmain/c...-you-1c6437161

Did the company know that the chip could kill someone? Who knows. But there are a lot of unscrupulous people and companies out there who put profits over the welfare of consumers. The company will most likely plead ignorance to deny culpability.

If the autopsy shows that the boy died from the chip, the mother should sue, especially because the company will probably massively profit from this kid’s death, as many thrill seekers attempt the “one chip challenge that killed a kid.”
If the chip killed the kid, they should absolutely sue. And I've seen images of the box that have various warnings, but those shouldn't get the company off the hook. If I saw those warnings, I wouldn't believe them - because to me it's not reasonable to think that a company will sell something for human consumption that they know is dangerous or toxic - that would be malicious and it would endanger not only their random customers, but the company itself - and why would anyone do that? So I wouldn't believe it - I'd blow it off and say this is just marketing shpiel.

Old 09-06-2023, 04:22 PM

17,938 posts, read 9,347,674 times
All of the people saying it couldn't be the chip that caused the death...if this happened to your kid, I'm certain you'd feel otherwise.

I mean, what else could it be?

Old 09-06-2023, 04:27 PM

16,742 posts, read 8,450,725 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
All of the people saying it couldn't be the chip that caused the death...if this happened to your kid, I'm certain you'd feel otherwise.

I mean, what else could it be?
I am guessing the chip triggered some type of heart or other underlying issue. the chips contained capsaicin...maybe he had an unknown allergy. I'm sure there will be some type of lawsuit and the family will be paid...so don't worry.

Old 09-06-2023, 04:46 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,300,691 times
Probably totally unrelated to the chip challenge.

The boy's mother is the one telling everyone that it was the chip challenge that killed him. It's a major theme on their GoFundMe page.

No current evidence to support that other than the family's supposition.

"The state confirmed Wednesday that an autopsy has been conducted on Harris' body.

"We have conducted an autopsy in this case, and manner [of death] is pending," said Timothy McGuirk, a spokesman for the Massachusetts Executive Office of Public Safety and Security. "There are no updates beyond that."

McGuirk said autopsies are typically conducted within 48 hours of the body being received by the chief medical examiner's office. The full autopsy report is a private medical record, and he said it will not be released publicly."

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...lenge/3129180/

He was sent home from school after he informed the school nurse he felt ill. His mother did not take him to a doctor or clinic.

Old 09-06-2023, 04:51 PM

That's what makes me question the situation is that the mother is the one blaming the chip before there's been any autopsy.

A 6 year old in my area died suddenly last year of pneumonia. She had been perfectly healthy, then complained of chest pain and her parents took her to the ER where she died. If anyone is being blamed for the child's death it's being kept very quiet. This chip story is all over the place.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:05 PM

It's highly unusual for a presumably healthy 14 year old kid to just drop dead. And it happens on the same day he does an extreme food challenge. And it's "probably totally unrelated"? I just don't get this line of thinking.

Old 09-06-2023, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I'm sure there will be some type of lawsuit and the family will be paid...so don't worry.
If this happened to your son, would you be thinking about money?

Old 09-06-2023, 06:11 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
If this happened to your son, would you be thinking about money?
I never said they were thinking about money...but others here keep saying the family should sue if it comes back that the chip is to blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts