Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 09:04 AM

5 posts, read 8,434 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Is there a list of the best elementary schools in Boston area or suburbs.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 10:14 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
The 2018 MCAS results just came in and you can look up a school's score by district.

2018 MCAS Results - Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System

The Boston Globe used to list them in order of performance but I don't subscribe anymore so I can't tell you if they still do.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:22 PM

Thanks!

Old 10-09-2018, 10:16 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,331,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie2020 View Post
Thanks!
These scores only measure socio-economics, not school quality. There are schools in my city where up to 50% of the kids are low income in some classes. These schools don't look good on these lists, until you realize that the non-economically disadvantaged kids beat our the majority of elementary schools in both Belmont and Lexington - more so this year than ever!

Old 10-10-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
These scores only measure socio-economics, not school quality. There are schools in my city where up to 50% of the kids are low income in some classes. These schools don't look good on these lists, until you realize that the non-economically disadvantaged kids beat our the majority of elementary schools in both Belmont and Lexington - more so this year than ever!
If you had to pick three top schools (private or public) in Boston area only based on pure academic performance and where kids end up in colleges etc, what would you pick?

Old 10-10-2018, 02:55 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie2020 View Post
If you had to pick three top schools (private or public) in Boston area only based on pure academic performance and where kids end up in colleges etc, what would you pick?
Are you seriously asking which elementary school will best prepare your child (or children) to get into a good college?

It's almost certainly going to be an exclusive private school. Something like the Milton Academy or BB&N. I have no experience with either, but no public school--not even Lexington--is focused on college prep in elementary school. Those elite private schools have parents that are either extraordinarily wealthy or extraordinarily motivated, both of which will probably correlate with greater achievement.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:25 PM

652 posts, read 749,346 times
Jay, you nailed it. The cult of school scores is ridiculous to me.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Are you seriously asking which elementary school will best prepare your child (or children) to get into a good college?

It's almost certainly going to be an exclusive private school. Something like the Milton Academy or BB&N. I have no experience with either, but no public school--not even Lexington--is focused on college prep in elementary school. Those elite private schools have parents that are either extraordinarily wealthy or extraordinarily motivated, both of which will probably correlate with greater achievement.
Lets say we are highly motivated and can easily afford kids in private school. If private is the only way to go to prepare for a good college, what other names come to your mind? We can probably include middle schools and preK-12 schools, instead of just looking at elementary. We are moving from mid-west area and currently they are in private school.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:48 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
My son-in-law went to Buckingham, Brown & Nichols and my daughter only went to lowly public school and they still went to the same college.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:54 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Of course private isn't he only way to prepare for a good college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts