Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 03:17 PM

3,627 posts, read 1,851,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Somehow it made sense to them - an extra $1K a month in mortgage versus an hour a day in traffic. Heck, the savings in property tax may leave them with only having to pay out a little more over what they paid in NH.
NH has no income tax though...so now they get that taken out of their paycheck b/c they are MA residents. Also, some property taxes in MA are not that much less than NH for a similar size house/acreage. This is Taxachusetts afterall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2024, 03:20 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
In a capitalist society, companies will do what they decide is in THEIR best interest. Not what's best for traffic, or the employee who doesn't like to report to the office. I have zero skin in this game, so please don't come gunning for me. Just explaining how the world works here.

Old 02-16-2024, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
NH has no income tax though...so now they get that taken out of their paycheck b/c they are MA residents. Also, some property taxes in MA are not that much less than NH for a similar size house/acreage. This is Taxachusetts afterall.
If they work in MA, they will still have to pay MA income tax (although a few exceptions do exist).

Old 02-16-2024, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
In a capitalist society, companies will do what they decide is in THEIR best interest. Not what's best for traffic, or the employee who doesn't like to report to the office. I have zero skin in this game, so please don't come gunning for me. Just explaining how the world works here.
The employee who doesn't like to report to the office will just find another company...these companies are disposable too just like employees are to them. I'd imagine it costs companies more whenever they have to hire someone new, train them, get them up to speed vs. just being flexible to the original employee in regard to a WFH benefit or salary increase, etc.

Old 02-16-2024, 03:25 PM

Quote:
The employee who doesn't like to report to the office will just find another company...these companies are disposable too just like employees are to them. I'd imagine it costs companies more whenever they have to hire someone new, train, get them up to speed vs. just being flexible to original employee whether it be WFH benefit or salary increase.
I'm sure most of them have factored that in though. These decisions aren't made without multiple considerations.

Old 02-16-2024, 05:21 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
If they were working in MA, they were paying MA income tax.

Old 02-16-2024, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
If they were working in MA, they were paying MA income tax.
No, they weren't. As a 'remote' employee they were taxed according to the state they resided in. They only went to MA for meetings at client sites, not to report into their employer's office.

Old 02-17-2024, 07:15 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
No, they weren't. As a 'remote' employee they were taxed according to the state they resided in. They only went to MA for meetings at client sites, not to report into their employer's office.
Well in that case, it must have made sense to move back to MA to them if they were willing to pay a bigger mortgage and higher taxes.

Old 02-17-2024, 08:17 AM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
the corporations/companies who set up shop in Boston and expect their employees to be in the office every day never play a role in any of this. They are just looked at as the good guys, the hard working heroes who started a company and wanted it to be in Boston providing jobs to people. They could cares less where the employees live or what they pay or how they get into work. In the end it is irresponsible for a company to not care about traffic, public transit, a housing shortage/crisis, very high COL or whatever. If they did I am guessing many would look for another city...and I'm sure there are some that do....but too many that don't.

there are clearly plenty of people who take these jobs whether they are already here or move for the job...but based on the amount of complaints here, on reddit, and what I hear in real life there are many problems associated with working in Boston and living in the area.

Old 02-17-2024, 09:14 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,127,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
there are clearly plenty of people who take these jobs whether they are already here or move for the job...but based on the amount of complaints here, on reddit, and what I hear in real life there are many problems associated with working in Boston and living in the area.
People are going to complain no matter what, especially on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts