Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 09:41 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times

Advertisements

I sure if we studied the demographics of the situation, that would explain quite a bit.

Sad state of affairs, not just in Brockton, but just about everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 09:43 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
My wife was a teacher in Weymouth back in the 70's. She said not many kids were unruly and a trip to the office .if that didn't work the ""dreaded phone call home ".Butthat was 50 years ago and different people.
We came to a fork in our road of life and headed. North and to quote a famous line "it's been all the difference ." .
That entire generation that demanded their children be obedient to authority is gone.

Old 02-21-2024, 09:48 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
That entire generation that demanded their children be obedient to authority is gone.
I wouldnt say it's entirely gone..but it's not what it used to be

Old 02-21-2024, 10:12 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
My wife was a teacher in Weymouth back in the 70's. She said not many kids were unruly and a trip to the office .if that didn't work the ""dreaded phone call home ".Butthat was 50 years ago and different people.
We came to a fork in our road of life and headed. North and to quote a famous line "it's been all the difference ." .
Mass. isn't what it once was...there are lots of trashy people and their offspring doing the daily grind just to survive....NH and ME are better but it's starting to happen there too!

Old 02-21-2024, 10:15 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Brockton today is 54.4% to 55.9% black when you include Cape Verdeans, imixed race and Afro Puerto Ricans and Afro Dominicans. Its crime rate overall is lower than what it was 20 years ago when it was 25% black.

Its changes in state law have made schools harder to manage. As well as cultural attitudes that are more permissive of deviant behavior in schools. It's not simply black people ruined Brockton as Brockton was not a nice place in 2000 when it was majority white.

This is something that people always conveniently omit- is how incredibly recently they were in inner cities in MA driving up crime rate in places like Dorchester Brockton Lowell Roslindale Somerville etc. Lotta places are far safer and more maintained now than they were hen they were white- you all know this

Old 02-21-2024, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
If I lived in Brockton now, you can damn well know I would be pounding on the mayor's door, and other city officials, demanding they do something.
I would arrange for city officials to meet with the community every week to find ways to solve the crime issues, especially in schools.

Do you no longer have PTA"s in your area.
I mean, Holy Jesus, you have teachers afraid to come to work, and once there, afraid to discipline unruly kids.
Presently I see a time ,not to far in the future when Brockton schools won't have teachers.
Teachers will opt for other safer communities.
That should be telling you something.
If it's a case of liberal judges and Attorney's general. you can change that at the ballot box, but you need to do something.

Doing nothing means, Stoughton, Avon, Randolph, Holbrook, The Bridgewater's, etc will fall to a similar fate.
Black crime is a cancer through out this country, and now it has overtaken one of the greatest cities in the bay state.
How many more have to deal with this issue before people stand up and get involved?
Well they wont.... People who move to Stoughton Avon Randolph Holbrook and the Bridgewaters (my mother). Milton is 16-19% Black and virtually crime-free and high-income. Canton is over 10% black. These towns are more similar to Milton and Canton than the city of Brockton. They dont have the rental stock and size to be like Brockton.

Actively avoid Brockton as a place to live because they do not like what Brockton is like. When my mom moved to Bridgewater it was explicitly because she felt Brockton is dangerous. We lived in Bridgewater for some years. W did not ice more balk families entering slowly but then she decamped for Rhode Island.

You're 85 years old, sir. Please just relax and take a nap.

This is about the state aw as it regards to school safety and disciplinary methods public schools use in the 2020s. And how it fails in a 3600-student HS. Not black folks.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:23 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Its changes in state law have made schools harder to manage. As well as cultural attitudes that are more permissive of deviant behavior in schools. It's not simply black people ruined Brockton as Brockton was not a nice place in 2000 when it was majority white.

The schools were in much better shape back around 2000. You can't say that parent involvement is not dirt low among the more recent groups.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The schools were in much better shape back around 2000. You can't say that parent involvement is not dirt low among the more recent groups.
I can't say it is either because I've never lived there or attended school there. What I know is that 2000 urban schools nationwide generally had much lower graduation rates and MUCH higher expulsion rates than they do now. Much much higher.

Attitudes have changed concerning discipline. And I think we all know that to be the case. In 2016 BHS was not really different racially than it is today still 60% Black, and even more students then- 600 more.. We didn't hear any of this.

Just think critically about it rather than your kneejerk racist reaction. It cannot be that hard, dude.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:27 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Brockton today is 54.4% to 55.9% black when you include Cape Verdeans, imixed race and Afro Puerto Ricans and Afro Dominicans. Its crime rate overall is lower than what it was 20 years ago when it was 25% black.

This is something that people always conveniently omit- is how incredibly recently they were in inner cities in MA driving up crime rate in places like Dorchester Brockton Lowell Roslindale Somerville etc. Lotta places are far safer and more maintained now than they were hen they were white- you all know this
Brockton, Lawrence, Fall River,etc. are all still some of MA most dangerous cities just as they were 20 years ago. That hasn't changed. It's not like Brockton is now becoming the new Hingham.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Brockton, Lawrence, Fall River,etc. are all still some of MA most dangerous cities just as they were 20 years ago. That hasn't changed. It's not like Brockton is now becoming the new Hingham.
And there crime was worse when they were whiter. Its just an objective fact.

Unfortunately for you all in MA....you cant use that excuse like some other states can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts