Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:26 AM

3,616 posts, read 1,840,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced_Coffee View Post
It's funny you posted this in a thread literally titled "People are leaving Massachusetts in droves. Who are they?"
Well that's the thing...people are leaving in droves...but there are also people coming in in droves as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:30 AM

16,386 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
I already make well into the six figures w/my full time gig and still picked up a second side gig. Thanks to the great state of MA making it almost unbearable to live a normal life unless you're rolling in dough due to the high COL.
Things have changed as far as salaries go. Sadly if you're a single person making well into the 6 figures and have another job it can still be difficult in MA. I'm not sure it's ever been 'easy' for a single person on one salary to buy a home in MA.

Old Today, 07:32 AM

Default re

Quote:
Well that's the thing...people are leaving in droves...but there are also people coming in in droves as well!
It seems like the people coming here in droves are either poor migrants with nothing...or people with a ton of money to spend on a SFH. Not a good outcome for our state.

Old Today, 07:35 AM

3,616 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Things have changed as far as salaries go. Sadly if you're a single person making well into the 6 figures and have another job it can still be difficult in MA. I'm not sure it's ever been 'easy' for a single person on one salary to buy a home in MA.
I already have a home and can live comfortably here without the side gig. However, I'd like to be able to move to a new location and buy something else. Since I bought during the pandemic and have 3% rate...things are now a lot more....my housing costs will basically be tripling if/when I move due to rate increase and housing price increases! My primary employer doesn't give cost of living raises to keep up with this inflation as I'm sure not many do, hence reason I picked up a side gig to stash away some extra cash!

Old Today, 07:41 AM

Default re

Quote:
I already have a home and can live comfortably here without the side gig. However, I'd like to be able to move to a new location and buy something else. Since I bought during the pandemic and have 3% rate...things are now a lot more....my housing costs will basically be tripling if/when I move due to rate increase and housing price increases! My primary employer doesn't give cost of living raises to keep up with this inflation as I'm sure not many do, hence reason I picked up a side gig to stash away some extra cash!
Good for you!

Old Today, 08:38 AM

257 posts, read 257,597 times
Quote:
It seems like the people coming here in droves are either poor migrants with nothing...or people with a ton of money to spend on a SFH. Not a good outcome for our state.
Bleak future if this keeps up. I think the statistics show far more of the first category and far less of the second. We have friends who live in a small condo in the city who recently had a baby and need a bigger space - I just know they will end up leaving the state.

Old Today, 08:53 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southshorebound View Post
Bleak future if this keeps up. I think the statistics show far more of the first category and far less of the second. We have friends who live in a small condo in the city who recently had a baby and need a bigger space - I just know they will end up leaving the state.
Which is also why i dont think these multi family buildings or whatever are going to help. Most people with a family want a SFH...not a condo or an apt. I'm not saying NO ONE wants this...but the majority do. They want a yard, etc. It may be that great boston, MA is no longer a place to achieve this for many unless they are willing to make adjustments.

I also think MA and people are super snobby about towns. People will leave if they can't get into a place like Hingham, Milton or Wellesley...before going to town like Hanover, Pembroke or Braintree. A lot of this has to do with schools but theres again some snobbery there. Kids aren't going to get a bad education in most MA towns...but people seem to have it in their head that they need to get their precious offspring into an A+ rated on niche school or theyve failed at life. this way of thinking needs to change.

Old Today, 09:02 AM

847 posts, read 554,024 times
Quote:
Which is also why i dont think these multi family buildings or whatever are going to help. Most people with a family want a SFH...not a condo or an apt. I'm not saying NO ONE wants this...but the majority do. They want a yard, etc. It may be that MA is no longer a place to achieve this.

I also think MA and people are super snobby about towns. People will leave if they can't get into a place like Hingham, Milton or Wellesley...before going to town like Hanover, Pembroke or Braintree. A lot of this has to do with schools but theres again some snobbery there. Kids aren't going to get a bad education in most MA towns...but people seem to have it in their head that they need to get their precious offspring into an A+ rated on niche school or theyve failed at life. this way of thinking needs to change.
I think the new residents (immigrants and people from other parts of the country) don't perceive the same hierarchy of towns. Gradually things will change.

Old Today, 09:18 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
I think the new residents (immigrants and people from other parts of the country) don't perceive the same hierarchy of towns. Gradually things will change.
I'm not so sure...those people seem to be the ones who move here because of the schools. They seem obsessed with the ratings and rankings.

lower income migrants might not care.

Old Today, 09:48 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
I still haven't adjusted to the reality that I can make as much money as I do but, as a first time homebuyer hoping to buy a home large enough for two people to WFH on a hybrid basis and space for at least one child, I will feel pinched buying a 3 bed/1 bath 60s ranch in Framingham with a 2 1/2 hour round trip commute.

I never expected a McMansion, but definitely thought that I would be able to afford a decent middle class home. And yet when a 2 bed/1 bath condo down the street from me sold over asking at 750K in Waltham, it's no shock people who can leave are leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts