Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 5,523 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Queens, NY and work in "the city". I'm tired of the hustle and bustle - the rudeness - and would like to relocate to a place where only my husband would have to work. I have two small kids and would like to be able to stay home with them. If anyone can recommend nice towns in driving distance to Boston - I would much appreciate - even southern New Hampshire would be nice. Good schools are important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 12:54 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Hi,

what do you consider, "driving distance?" Also, would you mind letting us know your budget? This can make a big difference in where you should look.

Commute times are generally shorter in Metro Boston than they are in New York so what you may consider driving distance may be further than what most people up here would consider reasonable.

Also, it's worth noting, while pretty much anything in the US will have LESS hustle and bustle than NYC, Boston is often noted for it's faster pace and is generally stereotyped as being "rude" (which I think is untrue, but that's another topic). You'll likely find it a bit more laid back than Queens up here, but probably not but a huge margin.

There are plenty of towns that are quiet and comfortable within close proximity to Boston, but they tend to be in pretty expensive locales (not Greenwich CT expensive, but still expensive).

Are you looking for a single family home... condo or an apartment? Do you want rural, suburban or urban (I'm assuming that you don't want urban since you're moving OUT of the city, but hey, I have to ask)?

Any information you can give will help us to give you the best suggestions that we can. Thanks.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:00 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,527,415 times
Oh gosh there are so many--what's your budget? How long of a commute is your husband willing to endure?

One of the things about Boston that's different from NYC is that the suburbs are not looked down on by city dwellers. The towns lying outside of Boston can be quite beautiful. You can get all country with land, or go near the ocean.

What are you looking for?

PS New York is approximately ten times busier and ruder than Boston. Our friend from Queens will breathe a sigh of relief if she's looking for peace and quiet. I had to learn new ways of relating to people when we moved up here. We're talking outside of Boston, too which is rural by NYC standards.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 7,443 times
I'm originally from Brooklyn, NY so I can understand! Boston might be rude and expensive by some people's standards, but NYC is infinitely worse. I've lived in Boston proper for the past 10 years, and recently moved out to "the burbs."

As the other posters said, you should be more specific with what you are looking for, including budget, size of property, amount of land, whether you should be near a commuter train, etc. There are many towns with great schools, but of course the top tend to be more expensive with higher property taxes. Also, if your husband will be working in town, you'll probably want to be near a commuter rail station (unless he enjoys sitting in tons of traffic!!).

Old 02-24-2009, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 5,307 times
Hi,

I have the same exact question, as my wife and I are planning to move to the Boston area this summer. We are looking for a town relatively close to trains, but relatively rural, where a 1-acre wooded lot and house can be had for $350-$400K. I'd prefer no more than an hour commute each way. We've been looking online from Andover to southern New Hampshire, but don't know enough to really gauge pros and cons. I guess what we really need is an agent/advisor, so if you can recommend one as well, that would be great!

Old 02-24-2009, 11:48 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
On the South Shore you could check out places like Marshfield, Hanover, Pembroke, Plymouth, Stoughton, Whitman, or Hanson. They're all nice towns and aren't too terribly expensive.

Other nice places are Cohasset, Scituate, Hingham, Duxbury, Milton, and Norwell. However these places are more expensive.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:55 PM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wktiz View Post
Hi,

I have the same exact question, as my wife and I are planning to move to the Boston area this summer. We are looking for a town relatively close to trains, but relatively rural, where a 1-acre wooded lot and house can be had for $350-$400K. I'd prefer no more than an hour commute each way. We've been looking online from Andover to southern New Hampshire, but don't know enough to really gauge pros and cons. I guess what we really need is an agent/advisor, so if you can recommend one as well, that would be great!
If you've been looking around Andover and southern NH, send a dm to Valerie C. She usually posts on the New Hampshire forum, but is licensed in both states.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:42 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
If you're tired of the rudeness, then don't come to Boston. I grew up in NYC and have lived in Boston-Metrowest for close to five years, folks here are quite salty and just as rude as your most hardened New Yorkers.

Now if you want a decent place to live with great schools check out Bedford, Arlington, Lexington, Concord, Lincoln. Bedford and Arlington will be the most affordable in terms of rent. Schools are great and you are about 18 - 20 miles from Boston. There are T stations in Woburn and I believe there is a commuter rail station in Concord and Lincoln.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:26 AM

5 posts, read 39,027 times
Hey there,

Lots of great towns north of Boston. Try Winchester, Arlington, Cambridge. Depending on your budget, lifestyle, commuting needs, there's also Reading, Woburn, Melrose...lots of great towns!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts