Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 10:28 AM

385 posts, read 1,455,153 times

Advertisements

Not very close to Sharon, but I second the rec for Blue Ribbon BBQ, in West Newton and Arlington. I'm not from the South, but I hear it's pretty authentic. Costs about $7 for a sandwich and two sides, pretty good deal. All counter-service, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 07:02 AM

894 posts, read 1,558,801 times
Blue Ribbon is good, so is Uncle Pete's in East Boston across from Spinellis catering. Might not be southern authentic but tasty.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:06 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,603 times
Here is a run down for a taste of the south up here in Massachusetts:

As someone who grew up part my life in the South I fully recommend Blue Ribbon BBQ. I have tried most of the BBQ joints in the area and most fall way short, Blue Ribbon does it right though! The owner is from Virginia so he respects the way BBQ is supposed to be done. The sides are great also Cornbread, Collard Greens (real collards, not canned cooked with Ham Hock) and baked beans.

If you are looking for Soul Food I would recommend Poppa B's and Mrs. Jones in Dorchester. Both these places cook up authentic soul food and remind me of what I miss from living in Florida.

Next if you are looking for Chicken and Waffles, Lucky's Lounge in Fort Point does a great version (served with Scotch bonnet maple syrup). The Chicken is perfectly fried and the waffle is dense and perfectly tasty. Their version rivals some of my favorite places in the South (ie: Glady's and Rons in Atlanta) The Hen House in Roxbury also does a respectable job with Chicken and Waffles.

For cornbread, which is something that many places in Boston cannot get right (way too sweet, no full kernel corn, etc...) try the Version at Union Bar and Grille in the South End. It does not seem like the type of place you would find great Cornbread but it is excellent.

For Steak Houses: High End: Mooooo and Grill 23 in Boston. You can also get a more affordable and great Flat Iron Steak at French Restaurant Brasserie Jo and Eastern Standard in Kenmore.

As a side point you should also try the styles of BBQ that Boston does very well. For example Brazilian BBQ, Portuguese BBQ, Cape Verdian BBQ and Chinese Char Sui style BBQ. Massachusetts is one of the only areas in the country that you can find authentic Portuguese food and the BBQ chicken is excellent (The other part of my time growing up was in Toronto-largest Portuguese population outside of Portugal) and probably the only for authentic Cape Verdian cuisine.

Below are links to all the palces mentioned.

Blue Ribbon BBQ: Blue Ribbon BBQ - Catering Boston - Real Pit Smoked - Arlington and West Newton, Massachusetts
Poppa B's: Poppa B's
Mrs. Jones: Mrs. Jones, Dorchester, MA | Boston's Hidden Restaurants
Lucky's Lounge: Lucky's Lounge:en of Cocktail Cool::Lunch, Dinner, Cocktails, Live Music
The Hen House: thehenhouseboston.com
Union Bar and Grille: Union Bar and Grille - Union restaurant Boston, 1357 Washington Street, Boston, MA - Union restaurant in South End, Boston
Brazilian BBQ-Midwest Grill: Midwest Grill Restaurant | Churrasco a Rodízio - Brazilian BBQ Banquet
Portuguese- Portugualia: (Portugalia - Cambridge, MA) Home Page
Cape Verdian-Restaurant Cesaria: Welcome to Restaurante Cesaria!
Chinese BBQ- Hong Kong Eatery: Welcome to Hong Kong Eatery (http://www.hongkongeatery.com/cts/hke/ - broken link)
Brasserie Jo: http://www.brasseriejo.com/
Moooo: http://www.mooorestaurant.com/
Grill 23: http://www.grill23.com/
Eastern Standard: http://www.easternstandardboston.com/

Old 03-06-2009, 08:36 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
Massachusetts is one of the only areas in the country that you can find authentic Portuguese food and the BBQ chicken is excellent
Not just Mass, Add Southeast CT to that list of Portuguese places as well. Somewhat in the Hartford region as well, but it's more Brazilian then not.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:11 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Not just Mass, Add Southeast CT to that list of Portuguese places as well. Somewhat in the Hartford region as well, but it's more Brazilian then not.
the Fall River and New Bedford area are LOADED with Portuguese places (in fact, either Fall River or New Bedford has the highest Portuguese population in the U.S.). I would consider this area to be the epicenter of Portuguese heritage in New England. The BBQ is GOOD, but very different than a traditional southern BBQ. A Portuguese Steak (when cooked properly) is absolutely incredibe: it's usually a nice sirloin topped with sauteed onions and a fried egg and drenched in that spicy Portuguese sauce. Their sausage (Chourico) is excellent as well. If anyone's interested in Portuguese cuisine, I can give you a list a mile long of places to go to. Some are "upscale" Portuguese" (i.e. Cinderella's, Adega, Funchal, etc) and some are complete holes in the wall with great food (Ogil, The Liberal Club, etc). In any case, Portuguese food is excellent.

The Brazilian Cuisine, which you can find just about anywhere in New England, is very different than traditional Portuguese and probably more closely resembles Southern Cooking (but it's still quite different). I love a good Brazilian place. The Brazilian Grille in Hyannis is out of the way, but it's better than just about any of the Brazilian places I've been to in metro Boston or Providence. There's something about large chunks of freshly cooked meat on a stick (all you can eat) carved at your table that I really enjoy. If you haven't yet tried Brazilian, it's a must.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:32 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Oh I totally agree, I was most just making the point that SE CT also has a very large Portuguese population as well. Similar to the New Bedford area.

Remember the movie "Mystic Pizza"?

YouTube - Mystic Pizza Trailer

Old 03-06-2009, 02:00 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
^I know... In fact, I agree that it often doesn't get the notice it deserves for having the Portuguese population it does. I enjoyed Mystic Pizza and as cliche as it sounds, I ate there last summer just because of the movie (pizza wasn't half bad though). I didn't mean to come off like I was saying one place is more significant than the other in any regard.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:45 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
That coastal stretch in MA, RI, and CT had a heavy Portguese fishing presence from P'town to New London. I was in Stonington (a great, great little New England town) for the blessing of the fleet one summer and had some linguica there. Yum. Stonington has the Portuguese Holy Ghost Society, which has been around since 1915 or something and has a very cool building. http://www.stoningtonproperty.com/images/Town_Photos/13_PHGS.JPG (broken link)

http://www.stoningtonproperty.com/stonington_village.html (broken link)

Gloucester also. Our Lady of Good Voyage is a beautiful old Portguese-style church:

http://www.pbase.com/caseus/image/49517201
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts